New tires for 37' GD Reflection (312BHTS) Travel Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tires for 37' GD Reflection (312BHTS) Travel Trailer

I am looking to replace the Westlake tires (ST235/80R16) on my travel trailer. I am thinking of going with Sailun tires of the exact same size but have been told, perhaps incorrectly, that the rims on my trailer might not be able to handle them because of the higher tire pressures. I know a lot of 5th wheel owners go with these tires but would these also be a good fit for this model travel trailer? Rims of course are stock from the factory.

Thanks in advance for your help,

PTH
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 312bhts

Originally posted by fellixx View Post
    I am looking to replace the Westlake tires (ST235/80R16) on my travel trailer. I am thinking of going with Sailun tires of the exact same size but have been told, perhaps incorrectly, that the rims on my trailer might not be able to handle them because of the higher tire pressures. I know a lot of 5th wheel owners go with these tires but would these also be a good fit for this model travel trailer? Rims of course are stock from the factory.

Thanks in advance for your help,

PTH
    I put Sailuns on my 315RLTS. I do not need the load carrying capacity that goes along with airing them to 110psi (their max setting) so I went with 80psi effectively turning them into an E rated tire. According to a chart from Sailun, that makes the Sailun equal in load carrying to the original OEM tires. No issues with the wheels at 80psi, either.

I've only put 750 miles on the Sailun's, and so far I am content with them and glad I chose them. The Goodyear Endurance tires I had (that replaced the OEM Westlakes) were good, too, but were replaced early due to an alignment issue that wore them down prematurely.

Below is the Sailun chart I referenced above (it's dated, but I believe it is still accurate).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailun Chart Marked.JPG
Views:	538
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	27986
    Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I put Sailuns on my 315RLTS. I do not need the load carrying capacity that goes along with airing them to 110psi (their max setting) so I went with 80psi effectively turning them into an E rated tire. According to a chart from Sailun, that makes the Sailun equal in load carrying to the original OEM tires. No issues with the wheels at 80psi, either.

I've only put 750 miles on the Sailun's, and so far I am content with them and glad I chose them. The Goodyear Endurance tires I had (that replaced the OEM Westlakes) were good, too, but were replaced early due to an alignment issue that wore them down prematurely.

Below is the Sailun chart I referenced above (it's dated, but I believe it is still accurate).

Name:	Sailun Chart Marked.JPG
Views:	538
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	27986
      Howard
      Thank you so much for your reply. What you are saying makes a lot of sense. Did you still go with upgraded (steel?) valve stems even though you weren't inflating to max pressure?

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply. What you are saying makes a lot of sense. Did you still go with upgraded (steel?) valve stems even though you weren't inflating to max pressure?
        I have Ford's TPMS' which are through-valve sensors so I didn't have to make that decision.

Name:	TPMS.JPG
Views:	621
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	27998

Would I go to metal stems if swapping tires? Probably--I'm not sure there's a downside except for cost.

There are many other forum members that are more knowledgeable on this item so I'll not speculate further and hopefully they will chime in.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Just as an update to this post, I went ahead an purchased these tires and I have been extremely happy with them. The towing characteristics of the trailer changed for the better because of the stiffer side walls. less bounce over rough terrain and even sway characteristics improved. I would highly recommend this upgrade if you are considering it.

Comment

Just as an update to this post, I went ahead an purchased these tires and I have been extremely happy with them. The towing characteristics of the trailer changed for the better because of the stiffer side walls. less bounce over rough terrain and even sway characteristics improved. I would highly recommend this upgrade if you are considering it.
            I assume "these tires" references the Sailuns discussed in this thread. Glad they worked out for you! I am very pleased with them, too.

What PSI did you settle on for the cold tire pressure? (I've found 80 psi seems to work well--the tires are wearing evenly.)

Comment

You are correct. I was referring to the Sailuns in the exact same size as the Westlake tires (ST235/80R16).

Comment

Working...
              X