Spare Tire Storage - 2020 337RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare Tire Storage - 2020 337RLS

Just returned from a long trip to the Green Mountain State. About 8 hours driving time with the RV up and back. Upon getting to the campground and setting up the electrical and hoses I noticed that my spare tire was hanging loose from the underneath of the trailer. I had checked and tightened it before we left on our trip using the ratcheting mechanism. After setting up the campsite I tightened it again and then double checked it before we started our journey home. It was tight against the underbelly. Once home I noticed the spare was once again loose underneath. The ratcheting mechanism seems to tighten OK but not sure why it keeps loosening up. Never had a problem with this issue on my tow vehicles that use a similar mechanism to drop the spare from underneath. Before I take it back to the dealer I thought I would check to see if others have had the same issue.
    Mark & Ellen
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 RAM 3500 Mega Cab SRW

It is actually a rather common problem that has been reported for years. And fortunately, there is a very inexpensive solution.

Lots of folks have drilled a hole in the shaft, then inserted a locking pin through the shaft and into an adjoining eye-bolt or something similar. Just a few bucks in hardware, and the problem is solved.

Check out post number 3 on this thread:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...eck-that-spare

Then check out Post #4 in the same thread to see how Rob Cate&Rob solved it.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by MAW7228 View Post
      Just returned from a long trip to the Green Mountain State. About 8 hours driving time with the RV up and back. Upon getting to the campground and setting up the electrical and hoses I noticed that my spare tire was hanging loose from the underneath of the trailer. I had checked and tightened it before we left on our trip using the ratcheting mechanism. After setting up the campsite I tightened it again and then double checked it before we started our journey home. It was tight against the underbelly. Once home I noticed the spare was once again loose underneath. The ratcheting mechanism seems to tighten OK but not sure why it keeps loosening up. Never had a problem with this issue on my tow vehicles that use a similar mechanism to drop the spare from underneath. Before I take it back to the dealer I thought I would check to see if others have had the same issue.
      Edit: Jim beat me to it!

Unfortunately a common (and reoccuring year-after-year) problem with the Lippert mechanism. Here's a thread on the topic: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...eck-that-spare

Many folks have come up with different ways to ensure it does not unwind, below is what I did as inspired by Chiefblueman. Cate&Rob has quite a fancy setup (as he has welding skills!) that does the same thing--holds the spare in place (it's the second picture below from the previously linked thread).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pin.JPG Views:	0 Size:	119.8 KB ID:	29097

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rob's.JPG Views:	0 Size:	175.5 KB ID:	29098
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Jim and Howard, thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of moving the spare to the back of the trailer but these alternatives look much better. However, the thought of having the spare easily accessible without rolling underneath the RV if I do need it also sounds nice.
        Mark & Ellen
        2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Jim and Howard, thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of moving the spare to the back of the trailer but these alternatives look much better. However, the thought of having the spare easily accessible without rolling underneath the RV if I do need it also sounds nice.
          I installed a Curt receiver spare tire holder and a anti rattle clamp to keep it snug in the receiver. Etrialer had the best price at the time

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122s.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	29133
          anti - rattle clamp This clamp really works - rock solid. Otherwise the is s lot of movement in the hitch.

Name:	IMG_0123s.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	29134
          Good clearance for back of trailer

Name:	IMG_0125s.jpg
Views:	859
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	29135
          Good solid mounting platform on carrier - and easy to get to.

Hope this helps
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

This is the alternative setup that I was thinking about. Thanks for the photos. Just priced out the Curt receiver carrier and the suggested Blue Ox clamp. Somewhat on the pricey side but may be worth it the first time I need the spare on a trip. Question; is your spare an ST235/80R16 on a 16x6J wheel? Just want to make sure the spare will align properly on the carrier backplate.
            Mark & Ellen
            2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

I carry mine in the bed of my TV. Problem solved.
              Dave and Sue
              2020 GD 2250RK
              2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
              GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
              SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

This is the alternative setup that I was thinking about. Thanks for the photos. Just priced out the Curt receiver carrier and the suggested Blue Ox clamp. Somewhat on the pricey side but may be worth it the first time I need the spare on a trip. Question; is your spare an ST235/80R16 on a 16x6J wheel? Just want to make sure the spare will align properly on the carrier backplate.
                Its a 15" but I believe the 16" will fit. Its on the stock GD spare wheel. Its a 15x6 with 6 by 5.5 bolt spacing. I cant be sure, but I think there is another hole in the receiver shank to move it out a bit more.

On edit, per the video on etrailer there are 3 sets of holes for adjustment out. I am as far back as it goes.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks for the edit note. I'm going to take some measurements tomorrow. The extreme angle on the Curt carrier concerns me somewhat. Draw-Tite also makes a carrier (Model 6715) that has less of an angle and leans away from the trailer. However, it may not allow enough length from the single hole to the upright at 5-1/2". Also it is more expensive, but does come with hardware. I'll let you know what I end up with. Thanks again.
                  Mark & Ellen
                  2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Just wanted to follow up on the path taken to solve our spare tire storage concerns. Although all of the responses were fantastic, we felt more comfortable completely removing the spare from underneath our 337RLS. Did not relish the though of climbing underneath to get the spare if it was ever needed, especially out in the middle of nowhere on a wet and muddy shoulder. Carrying it in the bed of our truck was a thought but with the big hitch and other items I carry there was no room. A special thanks to Yoda for his input which is the path we took. I researched both the Curt tire carrier (31006) and the carrier from Draw-Tite (1675). Concerned about the steep angle on the 31006, I leaned towards going with the carrier from Draw-Tite. However, after discussions with their technical support group and review of their product documents, it was clear that this was a front-mount hitch carrier only. Not for mounting on the rear hitch of a trailer. I then did further research on the Curt carrier and decided to go that route. Well made product. Attached are photos of the install. Used stainless steel 1/2" hardware for the tire mount. I have about a good 1 - 11/2" clearance between the tire and the back of the RV. Used the second hole (there are 3) of the carrier. Also installed the Blue Ox hitch receiver immobilizer (BX88224) as shown in the photos. There is no play between the carrier and hitch. We will be taking the RV out next week for our last trip of the season so we will see how the install handles vibration during the trip.
                    Mark & Ellen
                    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

MAW7228 That looks like a great solution but you may want to be certain the tire cannot contact the back wall on rough roads. The impact loading from the tire can destroy your rear wall, even though its rubber.

Jim

Comment

It would be interesting to have someone video this spare tire installation from behind on a rough interstate. Things attached to the back of a trailer tend to come alive in response to road impacts. I wonder why they angle the mount which reduces clearance to the back wall of the RV .

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                          It would be interesting to have someone video this spare tire installation from behind on a rough interstate. Things attached to the back of a trailer tend to come alive in response to road impacts. I wonder why they angle the mount which reduces clearance to the back wall of the RV .

Rob
                          To me the angle helps in getting the tire on an off the carrier. When putting it on it will sit there balanced so you can get the bolt in place with your free hand.

Comment

Just wanted to follow up on the path taken to solve our spare tire storage concerns. Although all of the responses were fantastic, we felt more comfortable completely removing the spare from underneath our 337RLS. Did not relish the though of climbing underneath to get the spare if it was ever needed, especially out in the middle of nowhere on a wet and muddy shoulder. Carrying it in the bed of our truck was a thought but with the big hitch and other items I carry there was no room. A special thanks to Yoda for his input which is the path we took. I researched both the Curt tire carrier (31006) and the carrier from Draw-Tite (1675). Concerned about the steep angle on the 31006, I leaned towards going with the carrier from Draw-Tite. However, after discussions with their technical support group and review of their product documents, it was clear that this was a front-mount hitch carrier only. Not for mounting on the rear hitch of a trailer. I then did further research on the Curt carrier and decided to go that route. Well made product. Attached are photos of the install. Used stainless steel 1/2" hardware for the tire mount. I have about a good 1 - 11/2" clearance between the tire and the back of the RV. Used the second hole (there are 3) of the carrier. Also installed the Blue Ox hitch receiver immobilizer (BX88224) as shown in the photos. There is no play between the carrier and hitch. We will be taking the RV out next week for our last trip of the season so we will see how the install handles vibration during the trip.
                            I have a very similar installation on my 303 for my second spare. It works well and has caused no damage to the camper in 10+ k miles of roads. I did add a series of washers under the upper bolt to stand the tire up a little more vertical. The immobilizer really nakes the hitch rock solid.
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            MORryde IS, FlexArmor roof
                            Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
                            2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

Good idea about having a video over lumpy roads Rob. Pennsylvania sure has lots of terrible interstate to try out. We will be traveling in tandem with another couple and their RV next week so I'll see if we can shoot one during our travels. Regarding the clearance, the immobilizer seems pretty tight and there is no movement at the hitch right now. However Rob's point is well taken. If necessary I can always move out the hitch another 2" from the back of the RV using the first hole in the hitch bar. Stay tuned and thanks for all of the responses. They are always appreciated.
                              Mark & Ellen
                              2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Working...
                              X