Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare tire fell off 2019 Reflection 337 RLS

Hello all

i have a 2019 Reflection 337 RLS with the spare tire mounted up underneath. I had noticed that the last few trip the spare was getting lose so I would tighten it up with the tool

so just took a very short trip less than 100 miles and as always before I left the house I made sure the spare was snug. About 80 miles into the trip lady pulls up alongside me to tell me I lost a tire several miles back! Pulled over and sure enough the spare was gone ! The clamp was left on the cable at the same spot that the tire was hanging on.

how can this happen ? Clamp that the spare hangs on is not bent the tire must have just dropped off. I was not able to locate the tire.

is this something GD will replace ?

Originally posted by Denis View Post
    Hello all

i have a 2019 Reflection 337 RLS with the spare tire mounted up underneath. I had noticed that the last few trip the spare was getting lose so I would tighten it up with the tool

so just took a very short trip less than 100 miles and as always before I left the house I made sure the spare was snug. About 80 miles into the trip lady pulls up alongside me to tell me I lost a tire several miles back! Pulled over and sure enough the spare was gone ! The clamp was left on the cable at the same spot that the tire was hanging on.

how can this happen ? Clamp that the spare hangs on is not bent the tire must have just dropped off. I was not able to locate the tire.

I don't know if GD will do anything in response (you'll have to call) but I can tell you this is not an unknown condition.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...eck-that-spare

Some solutions (work-arounds, actually) in this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ge-2020-337rls

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Denis View Post
      Hello all

Sorry to hear about the spare loss. I moved mine to the rear on a tire carrier after having the lift gear replaced.

BTW - in your second picture whats up withe cables coming out of the belly and all the foam. Was this a repair? - sure does not look correct.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

BTW - in your second picture whats up withe cables coming out of the belly and all the foam. Was this a repair? - sure does not look correct.
        Let's hope this is not a reseal job after the Molex connector recall... Denis - Any ideas about that brown foam?

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Let's hope this is not a reseal job after the Molex connector recall... Denis - Any ideas about that brown foam?

Jim
          No repair that I know of. It was brought new. Now I am concerned.

Comment

The foam is to seal where the cables come out from between the frame and the coroplast.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              The foam is to seal where the cables come out from between the frame and the coroplast.

Brian
              Denis

Brian - GD does not do it that way. If they have wires or cables that need to exit the belly, they go through the frame or a clean hole in the chloroplast - at lease its that way on my reflection. The other problem is it looks like open cell foam (should be closed cell) the way it is deteriorating. Its just puzzling what happened there with the huge hole (needs to be resealed too) . You can also see where a fastener has pulled out. Just very strange and worth looking into. Just my 02.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Brian

Yoda Hi Keith,

Brian is correct that the foam in the picture is to "seal" the gap where wiring comes under the frame rail. My 2015 Reflection 303RLS is done the same way. (Ironically . . . there is a wiring hole through the frame rail directly above this (on mine) but the wiring wouldn't go through that hole because the Molex connectors were too big .)

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Denis

Brian - GD does not do it that way. If they have wires or cables that need to exit the belly, they go through the frame or a clean hole in the chloroplast - at lease its that way on my reflection. The other problem is it looks like open cell foam (should be closed cell) the way it is deteriorating. Its just puzzling what happened there with the huge hole (needs to be resealed too) . You can also see where a fastener has pulled out. Just very strange and worth looking into. Just my 02.
                  Yes my wires come out thru the frame as well, I think most do any how. It is a mess looking thing.

Back to the topic I see the cable is not hanging down too far , How would the wheel fall off if the cable was not down enough for the wheel to hit the road surface?

How would there not be any damage to the coroplast from the wheel bouncing to get out from underneath the camper?

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yes my wires come out thru the frame as well, I think most do any how. It is a mess looking thing.

Back to the topic I see the cable is not hanging down too far , How would the wheel fall off if the cable was not down enough for the wheel to hit the road surface?

How would there not be any damage to the coroplast from the wheel bouncing to get out from underneath the camper?

Brian
                    Denis

Brian
                    Denis got very lucky. If the tire was as low as the picture showed it could have bounced just enough for the coupler to just slip out and if it landed flat or tail first it may have just slid out from under the trailer. Your are correct usually there is a huge amount of damage from the tire bouncing up into the belly and ripping things apart before unhooking. There was a post about that a while ago where the rear cross frame was destroyed as the tire left the hanger.

Comment

Denis

Brian
                      Denis got very lucky. If the tire was as low as the picture showed it could have bounced just enough for the coupler to just slip out and if it landed flat or tail first it may have just slid out from under the trailer. Your are correct usually there is a huge amount of damage from the tire bouncing up into the belly and ripping things apart before unhooking. There was a post about that a while ago where the rear cross frame was destroyed as the tire left the hanger.
                      Yes very lucky. I have to say I am not happy at all with GD call the parts number to only be told I have to email them. This was after they called me back to only direct me back to the main number. For all the ratings on customer service I have to say I am not seeing it at all and makes me wonder if GD was the worst decision I ever made.

very lucky indeed I guess

Comment

I ran a chain up and over the support beam that the winch is connected to. I attached the ends of the chain to two lug bolt holes on the wheel with a padlock. I tried to make the chain short to keep the tire up enough that if the cable breaks it will keep the wheel from leaving the trailer and not bounce around on the ground. I agree the best solution is moving tire to the rear. Why do the rear supports like the Curt angle the wheel instead of keeping it straight vertical?
                        2020 Reflection 273MK
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I have also been looking at the Curt spare tire carrier (31006). The angle (62 degrees per the manufacturer) is a concern. I believe the carrier is angled this way to allow it to be used on a front mounted hitch so the tire angles down to allow some better visibility out of the windshield of off-road trucks and such. This carrier is a big seller for off road vehicles. There is an alternative from Draw-Tite which has only a 10 degree angle from the upright. Model 6715. The documentation says it is for front mounted hitches only, with a capacity of 100 lbs. I plan to check with the manufacturer on this to see if it would be viable for rear mounted hitches like on my 337RLS.
                          Mark & Ellen
                          2020 Reflection 337RLS
                          2019 RAM 3500 Mega Cab SRW

Comment

Originally posted by MAW7228 View Post
                            I have also been looking at the Curt spare tire carrier (31006). The angle (62 degrees per the manufacturer) is a concern. I believe the carrier is angled this way to allow it to be used on a front mounted hitch so the tire angles down to allow some better visibility out of the windshield of off-road trucks and such. This carrier is a big seller for off road vehicles. There is an alternative from Draw-Tite which has only a 10 degree angle from the upright. Model 6715. The documentation says it is for front mounted hitches only, with a capacity of 100 lbs. I plan to check with the manufacturer on this to see if it would be viable for rear mounted hitches like on my 337RLS.
                            I use the Curt hitch for my second spare. The angle is an issue. I worked around it by spacing the upper bolts out to straighten up the wheel. Works fine with my 16” tires but a more upright one would lengthen the RV less. The Curt unit is well made but if you find a better replacement, post the info.
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            MORryde IS, FlexArmor roof
                            Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
                            2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

Brian
                              I have exactly the same questions. How did the tire get off the lift if the lift cable is at “stored” extension? How did the tire exit without damaging or even marking the coroplast? Previous incidents like this left the cable much further extended and did a lot of damage to the underbelly.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X