Spare tire fell off 2019 Reflection 337 RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

I have exactly the same questions. How did the tire get off the lift if the lift cable is at “stored” extension? How did the tire exit without damaging or even marking the coroplast? Previous incidents like this left the cable much further extended and did a lot of damage to the underbelly.

Rob
    Rob,

Is it possible the bracket was installed in the rim off center? Wondering if the cable was cranked up with the tire off center if the bracket would also be off center. Scary stuff.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

I have exactly the same questions. How did the tire get off the lift if the lift cable is at “stored” extension? How did the tire exit without damaging or even marking the coroplast? Previous incidents like this left the cable much further extended and did a lot of damage to the underbelly.

Rob
      Yes. That is what I do not understand at all. The cable was in the position as shown in picture not extended at all !

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Rob,

Is it possible the bracket was installed in the rim off center? Wondering if the cable was cranked up with the tire off center if the bracket would also be off center. Scary stuff.

Jim
        No. I looked underneath each time as it has been an issue of getting lose since we bought this unit and it was new.

Comment

Originally posted by MAW7228 View Post
          I have also been looking at the Curt spare tire carrier (31006). The angle (62 degrees per the manufacturer) is a concern. I believe the carrier is angled this way to allow it to be used on a front mounted hitch so the tire angles down to allow some better visibility out of the windshield of off-road trucks and such. This carrier is a big seller for off road vehicles. There is an alternative from Draw-Tite which has only a 10 degree angle from the upright. Model 6715. The documentation says it is for front mounted hitches only, with a capacity of 100 lbs. I plan to check with the manufacturer on this to see if it would be viable for rear mounted hitches like on my 337RLS.
          Have you guys seen the BAL tire carrier?

https://www.campingworld.com/hide-a-...unt-74077.html

Mike
          2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

Wonder if this would mount and work on a 2019 reflection 337 RLS ?

Comment

Denis

See this discussion on carrying spare tire(s). https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-trailer-tires There are several alternatives discussed including the BAL carrier. Mentioned by Paul Paul & Deb (who has a 337), as a viable alternative although his comment was specifically about his previous 5th wheel.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

I like that set up. Not sure how I feel about drilling holes into the I beams. That seems to be the only way to mount it ? Thoughts ?....

Comment

Originally posted by Denis View Post

I like that set up. Not sure how I feel about drilling holes into the I beams. That seems to be the only way to mount it ? Thoughts ?....
                  Most of us have holes in the flanges of our I-beams for things like the screws that hold on the coroplast, propane lines, etc. My son had this tire carrier on his RV and it was never an issue. One word of caution though. Make sure you drop it and lubricate it a couple of times a year. Rain and road salt can really corrode it up if you don't maintain it.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Most of us have holes in the flanges of our I-beams for things like the screws that hold on the coroplast, propane lines, etc. My son had this tire carrier on his RV and it was never an issue. One word of caution though. Make sure you drop it and lubricate it a couple of times a year. Rain and road salt can really corrode it up if you don't maintain it.

Jim
                    Thank. You.

Comment

Hello everyone. I feel I need to let everyone know that GD is going to replace my spare even though I am out of warranty. I will say this was not easy but after many emails they are going to send me a new spare as a “ good will “ gesture. Wanted everyone to know this as not sure any other manufacturers would do this.

I also will be looking at other ways to mount this new spare because I will not risk having it come off again.

Comment

Working...
                      X