Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjusting brake shoes after 1k miles - dealer says not required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting brake shoes after 1k miles - dealer says not required?

I have a new 2020 Imagine XLS 23 BHE. In the owner's manual on page 68, it says:
    When your RV is new, it is impossible to adjust the brake shoes precisely. It takes approximately 1,000 miles and/or 50 medium to heavy stops to “burnish” fit or “seat” the shoes to the brake drum. After the initial break-in period, your brake shoes must be adjusted accurately for best performance and increased durability.

After I put 50 medium to heavy stops on it I brought it into the dealer for service to adjust the brake shoes. They told me that the brakes on Grand Design trailers are self-adjusting, so no adjustment is required. If they're not working right I should just drive backward 10' and then forward again a few times in a row, and they will readjust. I was surprised to hear the dealer say that the manual was wrong, but even when I produced the manual and showed them, they still said nothing was required. The only time they adjust the shoes is when they refit the wheel bearings, but since I have a new trailer that's not required.

Can anyone confirm whether brake shoe adjustment is required? I have left the trailer at the dealer for some other work so I still have a chance to give them additional instructions if so.

Thanks,
    Matthew Kerner

Hi Matthew.

In this case, the dealer is correct (shocking! lol). By the time the unit is delivered to the dealership, those self adjusting brakes are most likely fully seated and adjusted. And your "50 medium to heavy stops" will really dial it in. GDRV has sold both self adjusting and auto adjusting rigs over the years, so I can see where those instructions carried forward. I always manually adjust mine when I disassemble the hubs for bearing or brake service. But even if I didn't, they'd likely seat correctly after a couple dozen stops.

If you are experiencing poor braking, you can try to adjust them manually if needed, but in most cases you'll be just fine.

And KUDOS to you for reading the manual. I need to discuss this section the next time I'm back there to see if they want to omit or modify that section.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

mattker

Hi Mathew

Just to add to this discussion, backing up to adjust drum brakes is “old information” from the days of drum brakes on cars and trucks. Self adjusting trailer brakes adjust while braking when going forward.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I really appreciate your help and advice - thank you.

Jim - if you are going to take up the manual revisions with GD, there is one other location in the manual that references the same procedure. Page 153 says "First two hundred miles - have a qualified service technician adjust the brakes"

Regards,
        Matt

Comment

This is assuming the OP trailer really does have self adjusting brakes. My 2020 2600rb has manually adjustable brakes. There is usually a sticker on the axle that let's you know if it has self adjusting brakes. Or if it's a Dexter axle take the number off the axle and call Dexter. They'll let you know. If you don't self adjusting brakes they would need to be adjusted.

Not all GD trailers have self adjusting brakes.

Charles and Susan
          2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
          Andersen Hitch
          2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

I don't think the Imagine line comes with self adjusting brakes.
            2018 Reflection 315RLTS
            2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

I called Dexter Axle this morning and provided them with the serial number of the axles on my trailer. They confirmed that the brakes are manual adjust. I have reached out to the dealer to ask that they adjust the brakes. Thank you ckreef for your tip to call Dexter - that saved me at least a visit to the dealer and perhaps way more than that.

Sounds like the brake situation with GDRV varies - perhaps the manual needs to be updated to clarify this on a per-model basis.

Comment

mattker
                Hi Matt,

Thanks for the follow-up on this . . . good info fo all of us to know. If you are mechanically inclined at all, adjusting trailer brakes is not hard to do yourself and a good thing to be comfortable with for the future. There are lots of Youtube videos but this forum will be glad to help out if you have any questions.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I adjusted my manual brakes myself in my front yard. There are plenty of videos on the internet. The hardest part is getting tires up off the ground. I did mine one tire at a time using a trailer-aid. Once you do the first tire and get use to the procedure the other three only take a couple of minutes. Now I can readjust every 3,000 or so miles.
                  Charles and Susan
                  2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                  Andersen Hitch
                  2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Working...
                  X