Wheel hub bearing dust cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel hub bearing dust cover

Has anyone had this happen? I think this is the dust cover over the wheel bearing and zerk fitting.
    How would it work loose? I'll be taking off the tire to fit it back on.
    What might I expect to find?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    Has anyone had this happen? I think this is the dust cover over the wheel bearing and zerk fitting.
    How would it work loose? I'll be taking off the tire to fit it back on.
    What might I expect to find?
    When you jack up the tire, check to see if it is loose on the hub. For that to happen the entire dust cap assembly must have pulled away from the hub. I am surprised grease is not everywhere. Please post what you find. Bur first does the outer trim ring come off without removing the tire - is it like a hub cap? If so you may not need to remove the tire to repair.

Stay safe
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

TNFSolitude

​​​​​​​I have not seen that on an RV but have lost one on a boat trailer and utility trailer. After many times of removing and re-installing these the fit may become loose. They are available to find replacements. I hope you do not find a axel nut laying inside there , that for sure would be bad.

Yoda

The wheel center cover is held on by the wheel. The center of the cover is removable to allow for greasing , not recommended.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Not much to report. The cap was very tight to fit back on. I had to use a mallet to tap it on . It's very secure, I can't imagine how it came off. The stop prior to finding it missing was for fuel with a very potholed exit area. Could the wheel assembly flex so much if I hit the side of pothole while making a turn to cause the cover to come? Just my theory right now.

Comment

I should add that the zerk fitting is missing, but that's happened before several time over the years on the various wheels. Also, can one of the moderators point me to Meagan or another GD employee that can advise on how to get another wheel cover cap, the 3" disk that covers the opening. Is that a Lippert item, or Lionshead? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
            I should add that the zerk fitting is missing, but that's happened before several time over the years on the various wheels. Also, can one of the moderators point me to Meagan or another GD employee that can advise on how to get another wheel cover cap, the 3" disk that covers the opening. Is that a Lippert item, or Lionshead? Thanks.
            Looks like it is a Lionshead product. There's a wide variety available at etrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Whe...enter_Cap.aspx
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Many rv dealers also carry them.
              2018 Reflection 315RLTS
              2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Working...
              X