Larger tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larger tire question

I'm wanting to go to a 225 instead of the 205 on my 221RB. Are there any consequences on the model?
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

The leaf spring/solid axle suspensions on our trailers have 2.5 - 3" of travel. Plug the two tire sizes into the calculator below to see how much you would be eating into the clearance between the top of the tire and the underside of the trailer at full upward travel of the wheel:

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Mine measures approx. 2 3/4" top of the tire to the underside of trailer and .7 difference in diameter so should be good to go there. 5 1/2" between tires.
      Bill & Cindy
      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
      SE Texas

Comment

Why are you wanting to make the change? I wouldn't want that small amount of clearance, personally.

Rob
        Rob & Laura
        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I agree with Rob , you probably will have tire rub on the bottom of the trailer floor. The larger tire diameter will roll easier but the consequences may not be worth it.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
            I'm wanting to go to a 225 instead of the 205 on my 221RB. Are there any consequences on the model?
            You should have a minimum of 4 inches of clearance between the floor and the top of the tire to avoid contact. I was experiencing floor contact before moving to a larger tire where I added custom blocks and integrated them to new springs. I now have at least 4 inches of clearance even with the larger 225 tires.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...r-2017-imagine

Jim

Comment

I would like at least a 10 ply tire is the reason I would seek to change.
              Bill & Cindy
              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
              SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
                I would like at least a 10 ply tire is the reason I would seek to change.
                Tires are categorized by load ranges these days (D, E, G, H, etc.) rather than plys. Your trailer is light enough that you don't need to go that heavy. A good quality tire in the proper load range and size would be a better choice. I would get rid of the Westlake load range Ds (if that's what's on it) and put on some Goodyear Endurance ST tires. Except for the Westlake load range G tires, Westlake has a reputation for failures.

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Agree with Second Chance your TT is just about the same size as our 22mle. I replaced the Westlakes at around 1500 miles with the same size GY Endurance. I did this on our previous TT as well. No problems so far.
                  2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
                  2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                  Andersen WDH
                  Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
                  2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
                  2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

I'll be going with Hercules. Thanks for the replies.
                    Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X