Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a sign the wheel bearing is leaking/damaged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a sign the wheel bearing is leaking/damaged?

I have 2020 Imagine 2150rb. The attached images show oily/greasy substance from inside one of the four wheels. Only one wheel has this in it. I'm scheduling a maintenance trip for this weekend. Just wondering if you folks might be able to save me any potential headaches with dealership. Is this a sign the wheel bearing is failing? I have TireMinder sensors on the wheels, and temps are similar (within 3 degrees) across all tires after driving 100+ miles. Hub isn't hot to the touch after stopping. Thanks in advance!
    Charlie, Allie and Clyde (5 y/o Black Lab)
    2020 Imagine 2150rb and
    2020 Ford F250 w/ 7.3L (Godzila) Engine
    --- Previous ---
    2016 GMC Canyon with K&N Cold Air Intake, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Diablo Sport Octane 87 tune, and Roadmaster Active Suspension

Originally posted by Bones1078 View Post
    I have 2020 Imagine 2150rb. The attached images show oily/greasy substance from inside one of the four wheels. Only one wheel has this in it. I'm scheduling a maintenance trip for this weekend. Just wondering if you folks might be able to save me any potential headaches with dealership. Is this a sign the wheel bearing is failing? I have TireMinder sensors on the wheels, and temps are similar (within 3 degrees) across all tires after driving 100+ miles. Hub isn't hot to the touch after stopping. Thanks in advance!
    Hard to tell from the pictures but looks like the grease seal may be leaking if you can see grease also on the back of the brake drum.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

A few years ago, this was a very common problem on all the units. It was caused by excessive grease being installed by the axle manufacturer and the grease seals being unable to contain it. It appears that the grease seal on that hub has failed. I would not suspect a bearing problem.

Have you inserted any extra grease through the zerk fitting at the end of the hub? If so, it may have pushed past the grease seal.

If the grease seal has failed, your brakes are likely contaminated with grease and will have to be replaced. If there is grease on the brake linings, insist that they be replaced and not just cleaned.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

Hard to tell from the pictures but looks like the grease seal may be leaking if you can see grease also on the back of the brake drum.
        No sign of anything on the back of the brake drum. No pic to show for that, yet. I'll snap a pic tomorrow...TT is in storage.
        2020 Imagine 2150rb and
        --- Previous ---
        2016 GMC Canyon with K&N Cold Air Intake, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Diablo Sport Octane 87 tune, and Roadmaster Active Suspension

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Have you inserted any extra grease through the zerk fitting at the end of the hub? If so, it may have pushed past the grease seal.
          Thanks for the info Jim! I haven't added grease to any of the hubs. Any suggestions for further inspection?
          I'll do a more detailed check tomorrow when I swing by the storage unit with my TT.
          2020 Imagine 2150rb and
          --- Previous ---

Comment

Thanks for the info Jim! I haven't added grease to any of the hubs. Any suggestions for further inspection?
            I'll do a more detailed check tomorrow when I swing by the storage unit with my TT.
            Unfortunately, where the grease is showing in your photo will require that the hub be pulled for inspection. If you have any questions at all on how to do the job, hit us up.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

If you have any questions at all on how to do the job, hit us up.
              Links to videos, any personal experiences, etc. I'd appreciate any. Thanks!
              We live on the Gulf Coast, in South MS. I've got a trip planned, next Thurs thru Sun, to North MS, roughly 6 hours from home. Also, looks like I'll need to be on the move with the TT to get out of the path of Hurricane Delta -- soo many hurricanes in the GOM this year, in the Atlantic basin.

Anyway, I say all that to say -- I'm most concerned with answering the question, "is it safe to put on the road?" I've planned a visit to the dealer this Sat, but I'll have to cancel that plan (Hurricane Delta). Look forward to seeing your tips/expertise!
              2020 Imagine 2150rb and
              --- Previous ---

Comment

Anyway, I say all that to say -- I'm most concerned with answering the question, "is it safe to put on the road?"
                Delta looks like she could be a mean one. I'm east of you on the panhandle of Florida, so I completely "get it" that when it's time to go--it's time to go. (We've still got debris from Sally along the streets! It will be *bad* if Delta comes and blows it all over the place.)

To your question: only you can answer the question "Is it safe" based on the conditions and risks of the situation at hand. In your place, I'd confirm the brakes on the trailer work by doing pre-tow check and I'd have a thermal "gun" with me to check bearing temps every time I stopped.

Good luck!

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

"Is it safe?". Many of us towed many miles with greasy brakes and I don't know of anyone that had an accident. Back in the 2014-2017 time frame, we filed dozens of complaints with the NHTSA regarding the situation. Eventually, GDRV switched from Lippert axles to Dexter axles and I'm guessing this was one of the reasons. I'm with Howard. Make sure your trailer brakes are stopping the rig, and monitor the hub temperatures with a thermometer every time you stop. But if the bearing is starting to fail, the hub could lock up and then you'd have a break down.

If you want to disassemble and inspect the hub, Here's one video on the project. There are tons of video's that show how to remove, maintain and reassemble these parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs_34iFcE0g

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Anyway, I say all that to say -- I'm most concerned with answering the question, "is it safe to put on the road?" I've planned a visit to the dealer this Sat, but I'll have to cancel that plan (Hurricane Delta). Look forward to seeing your tips/expertise!
                    As someone who has been stuck at the side of the road twice with bearing issues after two different dealers did not pack my bearings properly I would make sure that the bearings are good and will not give you a problem. Not a great situation either trying to cobble together a bearing repair on a damaged spindle at the side of the road or waiting for a flatbed tow truck to take the trailer to the shop for an axle replacement. Thankfully this has not happened with the 297RSTS so far and hoping that I never have to deal with this again.

Rob
                    Rob & Barb
                    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Thanks howson , TucsonJim , and Calbar for the inputs!
                      Here's what I did this afternoon: I wiped the inside of the rim clean with paper towels to ensure absolutely no residue was on the rim. Then I took it out on the interstate for ~30 mile loop. Checked temp of the wheel hubs by touch of hand, all wheels had the same feel all around each wheel's center cap and lugs. Inspected the inside of the rim, still spotless. Soo....

We took delivery of the trailer on May 1 of this year and have been out on several trips. I can't say when the oil/grease showed up, with any certainty. But it was about a month ago (approx 3 trips) when I was cleaning the wheels with a brush that I realized there was more than brake dust. Didn't think much of than to wonder what I'd run through. HA Anyway, I'm thinking this might've been a one time thing. Does this provide anymore help for you guys? Sorry, I failed to snap anymore pics, but I can confirm that the back of the brake drum is clean -- no obvious signs of any form of oil.

I'll double check the brakes in a couple days...when we head away from Delta. howson we might end up in your area this weekend, dependent on the storm track.
                      Thanks for the vid TucsonJim !
                      2020 Imagine 2150rb and
                      --- Previous ---

Comment

UPDATE: didn't need to run from Hurricane Delta, and was able to get to dealership to have them check it out, under warranty. The metal grease cap had a tear in it, likely happened during install. I did not think to take a pic, though. :(

Problem solved!
                        2020 Imagine 2150rb and
                        --- Previous ---

Comment

Thanks for the follow up report. That is a simple issue and a simple fix. Great news.
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Working...
                          X