Which Chock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Chock?

Since the wheels are set apart, what scissor type chock would everyone recommend for my 22 RBE?

(Moved here by Moderator Howard)
    Last edited by howson; 10-10-2020, 07:29 PM.
    Dan and Debbie Charna
    2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

Before we drop the landing legs or unhook, I start with the heavy rubber chocks that you can pick up for about $5-6, with the 20% off coupon, from Harbor Freight. I know that a lot of their stuff is junk, but these have lasted for two years and are none the worse for wear. They look/feel stronger than the plastic ones from Camco or whoever. I have two sets, one for each axle. I only chock one side, usually the street side, as that is where they are stored. If we use the Andersen ramps to raise the trailer, I chock the other side. Being a fifth-wheel, it really isn’t going anywhere unless it’s parked on a totally vertical slope. If there were to be so much slope that I’d worry that I only had one side chocked, I’d be looking for another spot.

After everything is set up, leveled, and slides ready to extend, I have a set of X-chocks that we put on. I can’t say that they actually are needed, as we don’t have any kids that travel with us, just the wife and me. Probably more of a mental thing than anything else. You know they’re there, so they must be doing something. When I camp alone (which isn’t often), I don’t put them on.
    Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Welcome! I use the same chocks as Tom, but I learned thru experience that laying them on their sides actually gives then a better grip as the more weight that gets put onto it transfers directly into the holding force on the ground.
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

When I did my research on X-chocks they were all to be used secondary to on-ground chocks, so why bother? I agree with Tom in PGH that you want large chocks, the bigger the better.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
          When I did my research on X-chocks they were all to be used secondary to on-ground chocks, so why bother? I agree with Tom in PGH that you want large chocks, the bigger the better.
          They do stop the front to back movement. And I know they don't recommend using them as your primary chocks, but I can't move the trailer with them in, when I can pull the trailer over regular chocks. If I'm on that much of a slope, I'll use both types.
          2018 Reflection 315RLTS
          2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
            If I’m going to be somewhere for more than a day or two we’re throw the x chocks in in addition to the wedges. Also if we are in a really uneven site and need to put one side up on blocks then the x chocks go in on that side since I can’t really use the wedges with the blocks.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I knew as soon as I hit 'Post Reply" with out mentioning that the X-chocks are primarily to help with the back and forth motion of the parked rig that I would get some feed back We have grown use to the wiggle and shimmy when we move around in our 5er, so it wasn't worth the extra cost to us. We typically are in parks with level pads, at least longitudinally. When we do have to block for transverse slope it usually isn't more than an inch or two and I can still stick the wedges in enough to honestly say on any insurance claim form that the wheels were chocked.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Thanks everyone
                Dan and Debbie Charna
                2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

Comment

Working...
                X