Lifting the trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
    I think I found the adapter Superduty mentioned. Will add this to my kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bottle-Jack...-/264297229034
    Can anyone confirm: The saddle in the link above will NOT fit onto the jack/stand linked by Yoda and used by Cate&Rob amp;

Thanks.

-Steve
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Can anyone confirm: The saddle in the link above will NOT fit onto the jack/stand linked by Yoda and used by Cate&Rob amp;

Thanks.

-Steve
      Hi Steve,

The adapters being discussed are designed to fit over the circular top of a standard bottle jack. As has been noted earlier, different jacks have different diameter tops. These adapters will NOT fit the top of the combination jack/axle stand that I use. The top of this jack has a flat centre section and two lifted ends. The problem with using this jack as-is is that the thin wall tube axle would be lifted by the flat section . . . not a good idea. I welded 3" ID half circles to the tops of my jacks to nest against the axle tube. Quite honestly, the prices that I see for the referenced jack adapters are kind of crazy. I would think that any fabrication shop could weld the half circles to the tops of the jack extension piece for a few dollars.

See attached pictures . . .

Rob
      Attached Files
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

For changing a flat tire we use our lego-leveling blocks to stair step the other tires up until we can change the flat (I really like the versatility of these blocks and keep finding new ways to utilize them). This does increase the load on the other two tires but only short term and with no impact loading.

For maintenance (checking the brakes, greasing the bearings and blocks) I'm not really into that and so let the dealer take care of it once a year.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

This thread gave me a couple of ideas for when the axle would be closer to the ground like if a tire goes flat.
          A double ram bottle jack that's about the height of a stubby bottle jack with double ram for more lifting height.
          https://www.amazon.com/BAOSHISHAN-Do.../dp/B07L4PHGPK
          An Axle Spring Mount/Perch to place between the u-bolt and and then slip the bottle jack beneath it before jacking up the axle.
          https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...00-lb-capacity
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle Spring Seat w Oak insert.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	9607
          Last edited by gbkims; 12-23-2019, 11:28 AM.
          Gene and Kim
          2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
          2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

gbkims

Great ideas Gene! The combination jack/stand that I use just barely goes under the axle with a fully inflated tire. With a soft/flat tire, I would have to first roll the other tire up on to blocking. The much shorter double ram jack and adapter made from a spring mount are great ideas.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

Name:	Axle Spring Seat w Oak insert.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	9607[/URL]
              Can you share how you fabricated the wooden insert? Also, do the $12.99 spring seats come as a pair, or are they $12.99 each?

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
              Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
              2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
              18k B&W Companion, non-slider
              640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
              Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
              Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Can you share how you fabricated the wooden insert? Also, do the $12.99 spring seats come as a pair, or are they $12.99 each?

-Steve
                The wood is some scrap oak, cut to width ~1.5" to fit in the mount and trace the arc and cut with sabre saw.
                The seats are per pair, and even lower cost on ebay, serach: trailer axle spring perch.
                These are 3" mounts I linked so I'd verify your axle diameter.
                Last edited by gbkims; 12-25-2019, 03:59 PM.
                Gene and Kim

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

The wood is some scrap oak, cut to width ~1.5" to fit in the mount and trace the arc and cut with sabre saw.
                  The seats are per pair, and even lower cost on ebay, serach: trailer axle spring perch.
                  These are 3" mounts I linked so I'd verify your axle diameter.
                  Gene,

This is a brilliant cost effective solution where I will order an axle saddle and weld on a section of pipe to the bottom. What are your thoughts in leaving the wood section a little proud like 0.030 of the metal bracket?

Jim
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2020, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Gene,

This is a brilliant cost effective solution where I will order an axle saddle and weld on a section of pipe to the bottom. What are your thoughts in leaving the wood section a little proud like 0.030 of the metal bracket?

Jim
                    I'm reworking mine so the wood is proud so it contacts the axle first and still gets the bulk of it support by the axle saddle.

Note: I came across these ideas while searching online. I figure the idea has been passed around for awhile.
                    Last edited by gbkims; 01-17-2020, 07:27 PM.
                    Gene and Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      Hi sande005,

For the type of service you ask about, I lift just the axle end until the tire is off the ground. I do this with a "saddle" on the top of the jack that fits to the OD of the axle tube between the U bolts. I know that the axle manufacturers say to "lift only by the frame" but, I have seen their own technicians lift by the axle ends. Usually with a block of wood under the U bolts. You should never lift by the centre of the axle tube because it does not have the strength for this.

Lifting by the frame means that you have to lift the frame several inches, either twisting or tilting the entire trailer before you get the tire off the ground. Lifting less than 2" at the axle end gets the tire off the ground and puts none of these twisting/tilting loads into the trailer body.

I actually store our Reflection with the four tires just off the ground using four of the (relatively inexpensive) jack & axle stand combination units described in the attached.

Rob
                      Rob,

This is really sound advice where these very flexible coaches would twist a great deal if lifting at the back of the frame. I've been lifting with a bottle jack ahead of the front axle and aft of the rear axle for projects such as the MORryde and spring replacement. Your advice on lifting at the axle end with the proper cradle (critical) is perfect for those small tasks such as a brake adjustment or to change a flat tire. Also excellent on the storage jacks. The collective knowledge on this forum is just priceless.

Jim
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I received the bottle jack buddy yesterday. It fits the bottle jack but not the space between the U-Bolts. Is it ok to lift just inward of the Ubolts or closer to tire.

Name:	8F93D7DF-1A44-4538-9E87-B60DFFA18BD5.jpeg
Views:	422
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	16599
                        Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                          I received the bottle jack buddy yesterday. It fits the bottle jack but not the space between the U-Bolts. Is it ok to lift just inward of the Ubolts or closer to tire.

Name:	8F93D7DF-1A44-4538-9E87-B60DFFA18BD5.jpeg
Views:	422
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	16599
                          Exactly how I lift mine. You should be okay this way.
                          Steve
                          2018 Reflection 303
                          2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
                          Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Thank you for confirming it is OK.

vivian
                            Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                            Demco Recon

Comment