Lifting the trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting the trailer

The manual with my Imagine 2670MK seems rather vague about it, and I've seen the range of opinions expressed elsewhere..so it would be good to get an "official" statement:

For tire changes, bearing repacking, etc. where is the best place to put the jack and jack stands to raise the trailer to be able to remove a tire?

From users - what jack and stand would you recommend?

Hi sande005,

For the type of service you ask about, I lift just the axle end until the tire is off the ground. I do this with a "saddle" on the top of the jack that fits to the OD of the axle tube between the U bolts. I know that the axle manufacturers say to "lift only by the frame" but, I have seen their own technicians lift by the axle ends. Usually with a block of wood under the U bolts. You should never lift by the centre of the axle tube because it does not have the strength for this.

Lifting by the frame means that you have to lift the frame several inches, either twisting or tilting the entire trailer before you get the tire off the ground. Lifting less than 2" at the axle end gets the tire off the ground and puts none of these twisting/tilting loads into the trailer body.

I actually store our Reflection with the four tires just off the ground using four of the (relatively inexpensive) jack & axle stand combination units described in the attached.

Rob
    Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	E99716B6-2DC2-47B8-B076-E787EE66E0E2.jpeg Views:	112 Size:	4.3 KB ID:	3221Update:

to lift a tire, I purchased the adapter pictured here from Bottlejackbuddy.net,
      3” axle adapter..

Found this on a while ago. I typed in, 3” axle bottle jack adapter” in my browser. (I do not have the link). ( not from Amazon).
      Sorry for the wrong information.

steve
      Last edited by Superduty; 09-02-2019, 04:57 PM.
      Steve
      2018 Reflection 303
      2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
      Diesel, Star White.

Comment

• Mark & Andrea
        Mark & Andrea commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea. Did not know these existed. Ordering one now.

• Canyonlight
        Canyonlight commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve - thanks, for posting the name where this can be purchased.

Dan

You can also find the bottle jack here https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...k?cm_vc=-10005

Superduty - do you happen to have a link for the 3" axle adapter?
      Last edited by Yoda; 01-18-2020, 01:06 PM.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I need to get one of those axle adapters as well. Looks safer than my method or wood block. Please post link when you get a chance. Thanks!
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          You can also find the bottle jack here https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...k?cm_vc=-10005

Suoerduty - do you happen to have a link for the 3" axle adapter?
          I have not bought one yet, but this is the one I have seen:

https://safejacks.com/collections/bo...or-bottle-jack
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

• Superduty
            Superduty commented
            Editing a comment
            Okay, update. Bottlejackbuddy.net is where I purchased this from, not Amazon. My bad. Sorry for the miss information. $39.00

Sorry for late reply, just got home from a 4 day camping weekend.

eBay has these also. Type in, Bottle Jack Axle Adapter Lifting Saddle. About $37-39.00.
            Last edited by Superduty; 09-02-2019, 03:18 PM.

Beachcamper & ncitro
          Hi Guys,

Be really careful lifting directly on the axle tube or with a "universal" saddle that has a flat lift area. The axle tube wall is very thin and it is important that the saddle be a 3" ID smooth half circle as shown in the picture by Superduty that nests uniformly to the axle tube with no flat pressure points. The next best idea is a block of hardwood under the U bolts where the U bolt contour provides the smooth nesting to the axle tube. No flat lifting surface should be placed against the axle tube, even between the U bolts. An indentation will seriously compromise the strength of the axle tube.

Rob
          Last edited by Cate&Rob; 01-17-2020, 09:20 AM.
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Beachcamper & ncitro
            Hi Guys,

Be really careful lifting directly on the axle tube or with a "universal" saddle that has a flat lift area. The axle tube wall is very thing and it is important that the saddle be a 3" ID smooth half circle as shown in the picture by Superduty that nests uniformly to the axle tube with no flat pressure points. The next best idea is a block of hardwood under the U bolts where the U bolt contour provides the smooth nesting to the axle tube. No flat lifting surface should be placed against the axle tube, even between the U bolts. An indentation will seriously compromise the strength of the axle tube.

Rob

That's a good point, I didn't realize how flat that was compared to the one Superduty posted. Might do better to make one out of pipe as discussed before. Kind of why I've held off so far. Anyone find a source to buy the rounded ones?
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I searched all over Amazon and could not find the one pictured above. I have fabricated my own , which I know not everybody can do. If he does provide a link that would be great.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I think I found the adapter Superduty mentioned. Will add this to my kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bottle-Jack...-/264297229034
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                  Steve - thanks, for posting the name where this can be purchased.

Dan
                  You are welcome Dan, and all. Glad to help out.
                  Steve
                  2018 Reflection 303
                  2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
                  Diesel, Star White.

Comment

The best place to locate the saddle is between the U bolts. This prevents the adapter/jack from sliding in any direction. But . . . first check the fit of the saddle adapter to this space. When I made my first one (on the left in the picture) I discovered that it was contacting the U bolts before it nested to the axle tube. See the witness mark at the arrow. Version 2 (on the right) has an extension to reach the axle tube without contacting the U bolts.

Rob
                    Attached Files
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I lifted my old one 3” so that I could put a larger wheel and tire on it due to load issues. Worked out perfectly, purchased the lift blocks from a Canadian Company. Unbolted, lowered the axle, inserted block, raise axle and rebolted, one wheel at a time. No issues at all. Towed very nice.

Tom Boucher
                      2012 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Turbo Diesel Crew-cab “Bid Red aka Fat Bottom Girl”
                      2014 Grand Design Reflection 323BHS “Big Phat Sally”

Comment

I’ve measured the distance from ground to bottom of the axle (u-bolt) and I cannot find a jack short enough to fit. Especially if I add the saddle discussed here. What jack do you use? I have a 367BHS.

Comment

Hi All. I just purchased one from Safe Jacks.
                          When looking to order a hydraulic bottle jack axle adapter, be sure to check the adapter specifications. Specifically the adapter collar size. The business end of the jack ram arm diameter is different between a 6 ton & 12 ton capacity jack. The adapter collar needs to fit over the end of the ram.
                          Kevin & Merry - Montana
                          2018 Reflection 303RLS
                          2018 Ram 3500 6.7L SRW 4X4 SB AUH

Comment

Working...
                          X