Best tire air compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best tire air compressor

I want to start carrying an air compressor for my RV tires. I keep them at 115psi What’s out there that will fill these relatively fast that takes up the least amount of storage space and still do the job?

Originally posted by Chuck48 View Post
    I want to start carrying an air compressor for my RV tires. I keep them at 115psi What’s out there that will fill these relatively fast that takes up the least amount of storage space and still do the job?
    I used to carry a pancake 115v compressor edict ran great off of my inverter, had plenty of psi for all my tires, and was affordable, but took up a huge amount of space. I’ve since switched to a Viair constant duty setup in the truck. I mounted everything underneath and have the air hose connection next to the license plate. It’s 150 PSI (they offer it in 200 as well), and has cfm to keep up with my tires. It’s a bit slower than the pancake but worth it to get the space back. They make a portable as well but I didn’t want to have to keep track of where it was, and wanted to have a tank to speed up little things.

I love it so far, it’sa godsend for the Goosebox and the tires.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I used to carry a pancake 115v compressor edict ran great off of my inverter, had plenty of psi for all my tires, and was affordable, but took up a huge amount of space. I’ve since switched to a Viair constant duty setup in the truck. I mounted everything underneath and have the air hose connection next to the license plate. It’s 150 PSI (they offer it in 200 as well), and has cfm to keep up with my tires. It’s a bit slower than the pancake but worth it to get the space back. They make a portable as well but I didn’t want to have to keep track of where it was, and wanted to have a tank to speed up little things.

I love it so far, it’sa godsend for the Goosebox and the tires.
      Chuck48 I would agree with Neil on this and I have a similarly installed Viair 12V compressor in my truck. In my case, I mounted the compressor on the wall of the box and use it through the onboard controller for the air bags or directly for filling tires. Pay particular attention to "duty cycle" when shopping for a compressor. Many can reach the tire pressure that you need, but will have to go through an extended wait period to cool down before filling the next tire. Viair makes a variety of models with duty cycle up to 100%.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2630.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	32538
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Chuck48 -- I also have a VIAIR. I'm now on my second setup.

My first VIAIR was a 450RV-P. https://www.viaircorp.com/rvs-portables/450p-rvs It died after about a year of use due to what I believe is a flawed design where the pressure switch is below the air path. This allowed moisture and other foreign material to build up and "kill" the unit. For the full story on the issue I had with the 450 see this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...owing-30a-fuse

The 450RV-P "lived" in my truck bed (under a tunneau cover) similar to Rob's picture in the post above. I think the reason mine died in addition to the (IMO) design problem was the IP rating, or Ingress Protection Rating. The 450 is rated as an IP54. As you can see by the chart below, installing the 450 in my truck's bed (in high humidity Florida) wasn't the best of ideas for a compressor with an IP54 rating. (Experience is the best teacher but she sure costs a lot!!)

Chart from https://www.nemaenclosures.com/blog/...ings-Guide.jpg

Name:	IP Ratings.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	32543

What I bought as a replacement, after an exhaustive search of all the options out there, was another VIAIR, a 45055 Constant Duty Universal. It now "lives" where the 450 used to be. The small tank built-in is nice, too, as the unit shuts off after the tank reaches max pressure if there's a pause between filling tires. The 45055 has an IP67 rating (and as Rob points out, a 100% duty cycle which was very important to me).

Name:	VIAIR.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	32544

The 45055 is not cheap--but so far I am very pleased with the unit. https://www.viaircorp.com/ada/ada-constant-universal (Not 100% done with how I want it installed so haven't done a write-up on it, yet.) The digital pressure gauge is awesome. If you have a dually you'll want one of VIAIR's attachments that doesn't come with this kit. They can be ordered directly from VIAIR (best attachment for filling tires I have ever found for a dually).

Name:	wand.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	32545

Good luck with your search!

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Chuck48

Yeah your experience was one of the reasons I went with what I did. I actually eliminated the pressure switch and relay Viair supplied. I got a pressure switch that screwed into the tank and then wired directly to one of the 40 amp upfitter switches. I figured much less to go wrong. We will see how long the actual compressor holds up over time, but I am really happy with it. Fabricated some brackets and put the tank and compressor above the passenger running board. Not the best pictures, but you get the idea. Its accessible with the running board down, but with it up you have to be really looking for it to see it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	camphoto_126398554.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	119.4 KB ID:	32562Click image for larger version  Name:	camphoto_341603450.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	154.8 KB ID:	32563

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Chuck, I took what I think is the ‘simple and cheap’ route. I got the Senco model PC1010N 135# max psi. At HD, a couple years ago it was $99 and now it looks like $159. I keep it in a tub, along with its applicable accessories, in the bed of my TV so it’s not so convenient or quick to use but it gets the job done and I’m seldom in a rush. Good Luck on your choice.
            Dave and Sue
            2020 GD 2250RK
            2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
            GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
            SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Since we only carry ours for topping up vehicle or kid's bike tires when we're camping, and not for air bags or anything on our truck, we also went the simple route and got the "Canadian Tire Special" (as my colleagues from Canada would say ). It's a simple unit that connects directly to the battery, nothing fancy but it works.

One word of advice, make sure you can reach all your tires before heading out. I tested mine at home and found I couldn't reach the back tire opposite of my battery, so I had to get an extension hose. Amazon sells a nice Viair hose with the Schrader valve on both ends, works pretty good.

Enjoy your shopping!
              Last edited by StephenO; 10-22-2020, 09:42 PM.
              2019 Imagine 2400BH
              2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

If you don't want to go thru the hassle of the installing an onboard system but you want something convenient and small, I highly recommend the following. You can run it off of battery or supplied 110VAC power cord.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCC020...802680&sr=8-10

DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Tire Inflator, (DCC020IB)

Click image for larger version  Name:	61L6clXivsL._AC_SL1000_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.8 KB ID:	44811
                Jeff and Debbie
                2021 Imagine 2250RK
                2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
                USMC Veteran

Comment

I have the Viair 450P-RVS got it from these folks https://www.technorv.com/viair-450p-...-a-motorhomes/ Best price when I was looking.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                  X