Bearing grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing grease

Does anybody know what grade of grease the Dexter axles on a 2020 17MKE come with when new? Or a good compatible one to add more?
    Robert & Jeanette
    2023 23LDE
    2018 F-150
    USCG AMT (Ret)

I'm very new to TTs with a 2020 Imagine 2450RL and based on my research at the Dexter site: Plews & Edelmann LubriMatic 11390 LMX 'Red' High-Performance Grease

Based o my mechanical experience it is not preferable to mix types of grease unless you can determine they are compatible.

I'm sure someone else will chime in hear.

Amazon has it around $10 for 14oz tube.
    Dana & Janet
    Toby & Katie (Maltese)
    Marrero, La.
    Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4X4
    5.3L w/3.42GR

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCoasty View Post
      Does anybody know what grade of grease the Dexter axles on a 2020 17MKE come with when new? Or a good compatible one to add more?
      “Adding Grease” is not a good idea for a number of reasons. Bearing grease does not go away unless there is an underlying mechanical problem that needs to be solved. The main reason that both LCI and Dexter require annual disassembly, cleaning, inspection and hand packing with new grease is the “inspection” part. This is where you get to look for signs of abnormal bearing wear. The “disassembly” part is where you get to examine the condition of the brakes. A new rear seal at reassembly keeps the grease away from the brakes.

Back to the type of grease . . . many of us have used Lucas “Red n’ Tacky” with good results . . . after complete cleaning of whatever grease might have been in there before.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Our TT has Dexter's easy lube system and here is a video on how it works:
        https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources...-z-lube-system
        Unfortunately is not a totally fool proof so you need to be careful and assess what is happening when you use it. My experience started with boat trailers that get submerged in water so if water comes out, grease changes color are doesn't come out (it may be coming out the back seal into the brake cavity) with a couple of pumps then there may be other problems you need to look deeper into including a total disassembly and inspection. I believe a yearly brake/bearing inspection is the minimal recommendation.

I use tend to observe the backside the wheels for telltale grease build up and actually feel the hubs for any abnormal heat build up after towing but these rims have covers and it is hard to get to.

Every one builds there on set of skills and techniques to address these items, and experience dictates a lot especially if it is the "school of hard knocks" which I'm sure most of us can associate with.

Dana & Janet
        Toby & Katie (Maltese)
        Marrero, La.
        Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
        2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4X4
        5.3L w/3.42GR

Comment

Working...
        X