Damage from blown tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage from blown tire

Not sure if this belongs in the tire forum. It's related but more about the damage created by a blown tire.

Yesterday on our way home we had our passenger side rear trailer tire blow out on our 2020 Imagine 2800bh. This was a westlake that came on the trailer and had about 4k miles on it. Pressure was 80 psi when we left our site and 88 psi when it blew according to the TPMS system. Our speed at the time of the failure was 60mph. I'm not sure what caused the tire to fail but it went out with a bang. The tpms never indicated loss of air or other issue. I pulled over immediately after I heard the bang but the damage was already done. I saved the blown tire and I'll post an image of it later.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1080.JPG Views:	0 Size:	151.5 KB ID:	33599

The tread of the rear tire swung around and broke off both valve stems causing the other tire to go flat. I lost 2 tpms sensors, a running light, and the cap on the hub trim. I found one sensor on the side of the road but it was broken. The scuffs on the fiberglass body will come out. Wiped off most of them with microfiber towel. The sheetmetal skirting and support strut will need to be replaced. All this is cosmetic and no huge deal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1082.JPG Views:	0 Size:	132.1 KB ID:	33596
    This is the more concerning damage to the wood sheeting underneath. This is between the frame and metal skirt aft of the tire underneath the entry door. The wood is smashed and splintered and the waterproofing torn.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1081.JPG Views:	0 Size:	181.6 KB ID:	33597 This damage is just behind the tire before the door. The waterproofing is torn and it appears to be a rubber seal of some kind that was pulled back from the seam of the aluminum and the wood sheeting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1087.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.5 KB ID:	33598

This photo is for context and to show the metal stair bracket bent and the weld broken away from the frame.

If anyone else has gone through this can you let me know how these repairs were handled? Did you do them yourself or was dealer work required?

I was surprised to find that the top wheel well area on this trailer is essentially wood with a waterproofing glued to it. I really wish the area above, forward, and aft of the tires was reenforced with some sort of metal or thick plastic to prevent the wood from being smashed and the waterproofing compromised. Once this is repaired I may actually add my own layer of plexiglass or thin nylon incase of a future blowout.

At any rate, the trailer is headed for a new set of Goodyear Endurance tires. I was really hoping that the westlakes would prove that they were in fact a decent tire but I can't trust them after this.

I've contacted GD to get some advice on these repairs as well and I wanted to post this to help others in the future that may encounter the same issue.
    Attached Files
    Mike & Kristyn
    '20 Imagine 2800BH
    '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
    ProPride 3p 1400

Mike - What a shame. I've "been there, done that". I lost a Westlake tire cap on my 2014 Reflection 337RLS and had similar damage. There are at least three ways to approach repairs.

1. File an insurance claim and let an RV body shop take care of the repairs.
    2. Take it to a dealer or RV body shop and pay for the repairs.
    3. Repair it yourself. I did my own repairs and they came out fine. At the top of the forum, you can click on "Parts Lookup (External Link)" to locate replacement parts. Once you have the part numbers, you can order them through your dealership. They may be pricey, especially with shipping costs though. Grand Design does not sell parts directly to the customer. While you're repairing the area, you can get creative too. When I repaired mine, I lined the fender wells with stainless steel plate like you can see in the photo below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Steel Plate.jpg
Views:	1871
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	33605

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

MikeG90 -- well that sucks. Did you find any evidence of a puncture from road debris in the tread? Could this be an insurance claim (assuming you have insurance)?

For reinforcement over the tires, check out this post from TucsonJim : https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...5227#post15227

Edit: Jim beat me to it. The pic above is the same as in the other post.

Also, Country Campers knows a lot about metal and associated materials, so I expect he'll chime in here soon.

Please keep this thread updated.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        Mike - What a shame. I've "been there, done that". I lost a Westlake tire cap on my 2014 Reflection 337RLS and had similar damage. There are at least three ways to approach repairs.

1. File an insurance claim and let an RV body shop take care of the repairs.
        2. Take it to a dealer or RV body shop and pay for the repairs.
        3. Repair it yourself. I did my own repairs and they came out fine. At the top of the forum, you can click on "Parts Lookup (External Link)" to locate replacement parts. Once you have the part numbers, you can order them through your dealership. They may be pricey, especially with shipping costs though. Grand Design does not sell parts directly to the customer. While you're repairing the area, you can get creative too. When I repaired mine, I lined the fender wells with stainless steel plate like you can see in the photo below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Steel Plate.jpg
Views:	1871
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	33605

Jim
        Thanks for the advice Jim. It hurts to see the trailer in the state it's in but I know this happens to many people and can be fixed.

I really like what you did with the stainless plate there and I think I will do the same. I like the idea of the stainless vs plastic.

I'm leaning towards handling the repairs myself. I'm handy and I like to do things myself/save money plus I'm still waiting for a slot at my dealer for them to install a puck light. It's been 4 weeks and they still done have the part. Not sure if I want to wait that long to have this sorted.

I'm also not sure I'd like to make an insurance claim but I suppose it depends on the cost of the parts. If its over my deductible it could be worth it.

What did you do to repair the waterproofing? Did you just seal the stainless plate with silicone or something similar?
        Mike & Kristyn
        '20 Imagine 2800BH
        '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
        ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          MikeG90 -- well that sucks. Did you find any evidence of a puncture from road debris in the tread? Could this be an insurance claim (assuming you have insurance)?

For reinforcement over the tires, check out this post from TucsonJim : https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...5227#post15227

Edit: Jim beat me to it. The pic above is the same as in the other post.

Also, Country Campers knows a lot about metal and associated materials, so I expect he'll chime in here soon.

Please keep this thread updated.

Howard
          I have the tire and I can check to see if it was punctured. It could be a claim for sure. I'll check with insurance to see what can be covered and if it is worth making a claim.

I appreciate you tagging the others here as well as the support! This forum is great!

I will most definitely keep this updated with my progess.
          Mike & Kristyn
          '20 Imagine 2800BH
          '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
          ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG90 View Post

What did you do to repair the waterproofing? Did you just seal the stainless plate with silicone or something similar?
            I did not replace the waterproof sheet. I simply used silicone caulk around the edges of the stainless plate. Since I made that repair several years ago, others have done something similar but used diamond plate which is lighter and less expensive than stainless. It's also easier to work with.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I did not replace the waterproof sheet. I simply used silicone caulk around the edges of the stainless plate. Since I made that repair several years ago, others have done something similar but used diamond plate which is lighter and less expensive than stainless. It's also easier to work with.

Jim
              That makes sense. Thanks for the diamond plate idea, that'll be the route I go for materials.
              Mike & Kristyn
              '20 Imagine 2800BH
              '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
              ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Mike

This is sad to see for sure.

Jim has the right idea about a plate and sealant above the tires , I will be doing this as well this winter (hopefully). The aluminum tread plate is probably what I will use to safe $ on the stainless. The stair bracket should be able to be straightened out , I have used a larger crescent wrench to slide up on the thin sheet metal to bend back into position , then reweld. Getting it close is all you need unless you like perfection but nobody will see it under there. The skirting will be the down fall of this project. Shipping for a long piece will be many $ , it would be nice if GD could send that to your dealer inside a new unit that is being shipped to your dealer , that is how I would ship it. Being as you are handy I am confident that you can make these repairs and save a few dollars along the way.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  Mike

This is sad to see for sure.

Jim has the right idea about a plate and sealant above the tires , I will be doing this as well this winter (hopefully). The aluminum tread plate is probably what I will use to safe $ on the stainless. The stair bracket should be able to be straightened out , I have used a larger crescent wrench to slide up on the thin sheet metal to bend back into position , then reweld. Getting it close is all you need unless you like perfection but nobody will see it under there. The skirting will be the down fall of this project. Shipping for a long piece will be many $ , it would be nice if GD could send that to your dealer inside a new unit that is being shipped to your dealer , that is how I would ship it. Being as you are handy I am confident that you can make these repairs and save a few dollars along the way.

Brian
                  Thanks for the info. Yes, hopefully they can put it on an existing shipment to the dealer.

Does anyone know how the floors are constructed in these areas? I'm assuming what looks like the 1/4" plywood underneath is just a protective sheeting and not part of the actual floor of the trailer. I'm guessing theres aluminum square tubing thats used for the frame of the floor and then it's sandwiched between the interior subfloor and the exterior sheeting and thats what I'm seeing in the third picture.

Any advice on how to seal that area in the 3rd picture? It seems like theres a rubber seal that was damaged.
                  Mike & Kristyn
                  '20 Imagine 2800BH
                  '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
                  ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Wheel well shields are also on my "to do" list. My plan is to use polycarbonate (Lexan). This material has high impact resistance but can be cut/drilled/etc with wood working tools. I have used polycarbonate on several marine applications.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      Wheel well shields are also on my "to do" list. My plan is to use polycarbonate (Lexan). This material has high impact resistance but can be cut/drilled/etc with wood working tools. I have used polycarbonate on several marine applications.

Rob
                      This is a great idea but,,,,,,. The lexan , although having impact resistance , has a tendency to crack when you tighten a screw head on to it. You will have to be careful not to over tighten , you probably already learned this on the other projects. In the plastics world I would lean towards a delrin or similar that is more resilient. There is also a glass reinforced polycarbonate that is tougher yet.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG90 View Post

Thanks for the info. Yes, hopefully they can put it on an existing shipment to the dealer.

Does anyone know how the floors are constructed in these areas? I'm assuming what looks like the 1/4" plywood underneath is just a protective sheeting and not part of the actual floor of the trailer. I'm guessing theres aluminum square tubing thats used for the frame of the floor and then it's sandwiched between the interior subfloor and the exterior sheeting and thats what I'm seeing in the third picture.

Any advice on how to seal that area in the 3rd picture? It seems like theres a rubber seal that was damaged.
                        Mike

You are right that the bottom of that area is indeed 1/4" luan , I would hope that it is marine grade like the floor but I am not sure about that. I would guess the seal you are seeing sealing the end of the luan as well as the end of the top of the plywood floor , I am not sure if there is aluminum tubing that surrounds the floor structure. Once you get into this project you will have lots of answers and help for others.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

There is a product called "Wet Stick" that is available at building centres. It is a tar based material that can be spread with a stiff paint brush and will coat the area to seal things up. I like the idea of the metal plates over the wheels and is something I will do for sure in the Spring. Sorry to see this kind of damage and really disturbing that you had the TPMS in place and it still happened. I was hoping to get one year out of the Westlakes before replacement, but this scares me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Rob
                            Rob,

I like the wheel well ideas but am curious if the material that's currently installed is waterproof? I would like to do this as well but do not want to trap moisture above a plate if the current material would allow water to permeate.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Rob,

I like the wheel well ideas but am curious if the material that's currently installed is waterproof? I would like to do this as well but do not want to trap moisture above a plate if the current material would allow water to permeate.

Jim
                              Hi Jim,

This is a valid consideration. Any solid material (metal or polycarbonate) is as likely to trap moisture in as it is to keep water out. I think the membrane is supposed to be water proof, but the smallest cut from a piece of thrown road debris would allow water spray from the tire into the material above. I am now wondering if we should be considering some perforated sheet material. Strong enough to deflect a tire coming apart, but open enough to let the material above drain/breathe. Hmmm .

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X