Damage from blown tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike,

Have you installed the metal liners and if so can you provide some detail in how they are mounted and sealed?

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
      Mike,

Have you installed the metal liners and if so can you provide some detail in how they are mounted and sealed?

Jim
      I haven’t mounted the factory made ones but I did my own out of the diamond plate.

I fastened them with 1” self tapping sheet metal screws and sealed all the edges with 100% silicone. For the fasteners, I found the aluminum floor structure on the outside edge of the trailer and used the top of the I beam frame for the interior edge. I also pre drilled the diamond plate so that I could add a healthy glob of silicone to the top side of each hole before pressing the plate into place and fastening.

After the plates were installed I went back and sealed the edges from the outside. I also added a glob of silicone to each screw head ensuring it was fully covered. I did this to match how the factory treated other screw heads found on the underbelly.

I hope that helps but let me know if you need more detail.
      Mike & Kristyn
      '20 Imagine 2800BH
      '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
      ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

• Now that this has been a few years, does anyone regret adding the sheet metal above their tires? Any issues with moisture getting into the floor?

Comment

• Originally posted by jh2pizza View Post
          Now that this has been a few years, does anyone regret adding the sheet metal above their tires? Any issues with moisture getting into the floor?
          I have not seen any issues so far with my setup.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

• Originally posted by jh2pizza View Post
            Now that this has been a few years, does anyone regret adding the sheet metal above their tires? Any issues with moisture getting into the floor?
            So far so good! No issues to speak of on my end.
            Mike & Kristyn
            '20 Imagine 2800BH
            '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
            ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

• While inspecting my new TT I noticed GD is now putting sheet metal blow out shields above the tires. They must have been listening to you guys. I noticed lots of road deicer grime and surface rust I will be dealing with.
              2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeG90 View Post
                Not sure if this belongs in the tire forum. It's related but more about the damage created by a blown tire.

Yesterday on our way home we had our passenger side rear trailer tire blow out on our 2020 Imagine 2800bh. This was a westlake that came on the trailer and had about 4k miles on it. Pressure was 80 psi when we left our site and 88 psi when it blew according to the TPMS system. Our speed at the time of the failure was 60mph. I'm not sure what caused the tire to fail but it went out with a bang. The tpms never indicated loss of air or other issue. I pulled over immediately after I heard the bang but the damage was already done. I saved the blown tire and I'll post an image of it later.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1080.JPG Views:	0 Size:	151.5 KB ID:	33599

The tread of the rear tire swung around and broke off both valve stems causing the other tire to go flat. I lost 2 tpms sensors, a running light, and the cap on the hub trim. I found one sensor on the side of the road but it was broken. The scuffs on the fiberglass body will come out. Wiped off most of them with microfiber towel. The sheetmetal skirting and support strut will need to be replaced. All this is cosmetic and no huge deal.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1082.JPG Views:	0 Size:	132.1 KB ID:	33596
                This is the more concerning damage to the wood sheeting underneath. This is between the frame and metal skirt aft of the tire underneath the entry door. The wood is smashed and splintered and the waterproofing torn.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1081.JPG Views:	0 Size:	181.6 KB ID:	33597 This damage is just behind the tire before the door. The waterproofing is torn and it appears to be a rubber seal of some kind that was pulled back from the seam of the aluminum and the wood sheeting.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1087.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.5 KB ID:	33598

This photo is for context and to show the metal stair bracket bent and the weld broken away from the frame.

If anyone else has gone through this can you let me know how these repairs were handled? Did you do them yourself or was dealer work required?

I was surprised to find that the top wheel well area on this trailer is essentially wood with a waterproofing glued to it. I really wish the area above, forward, and aft of the tires was reenforced with some sort of metal or thick plastic to prevent the wood from being smashed and the waterproofing compromised. Once this is repaired I may actually add my own layer of plexiglass or thin nylon incase of a future blowout.

At any rate, the trailer is headed for a new set of Goodyear Endurance tires. I was really hoping that the westlakes would prove that they were in fact a decent tire but I can't trust them after this.

I've contacted GD to get some advice on these repairs as well and I wanted to post this to help others in the future that may encounter the same issue.
                Looking for a group display here - Westlake tires? Are you kidding me??? Total destruction to our rig!!! How many have had their rigs destroyed???

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                  X