No announcement yet.

Damage from blown tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys! I think total time for this was about 5 hours. TucsonJim The diamond plate was very easy to work with with limited metal working tools. It was handy to have an angle grinder to de-burr the edges though.

Here's a couple more pictures of the waterproofing repairs before the plates were added.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1095.JPG Views:	0 Size:	114.4 KB ID:	34190Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1094.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	34191
    Mike & Kristyn
    '20 Imagine 2800BH
    '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
    ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

MikeG90

Nice work Mike! Thanks for posting all the details of this journey. Others (including me) will follow your lead.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        MikeG90

Nice work Mike! Thanks for posting all the details of this journey. Others (including me) will follow your lead.

Rob
        No problem! Next update will be the install process of the metal skirt and fender skirt.
        Mike & Kristyn
        '20 Imagine 2800BH
        '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
        ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

MikeG90

Nice job Mike!

Like many others, I'm interested in installing metal in the wheel well areas.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Rob,

I know space is really limited in the wheel well area but could we make up a fender insert that is designed similar to a tandem axle boat trailer, then space it about 1/2" from the floor and blow that area with closed cell foam? Allowing air in that space to dry out would also be good. Right when I thought I was almost done working on this thing.

Jim
            Following up on the fender suggestion.

Our brand new 2021 17MKE blew a tire with 500 miles on it and did quite a bit of damage. We have to replace black tank and are not happy. Thinking of adding diamond plate fenders to protect future damage.

Is anyone doing that?

The tire in front of the one that blew is losing 10 pounds per day. We have zero confidence in these tires, Westlake ST205/75 R 14. First time poster, hope I did everything right.

We are thinking of installing Northern Tool's Tie Down Engineering Adjustable Tandem Teardrop Fender 60-72" and looking for feedback. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blown rv tire.jpg
Views:	993
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	34331
            John and Christyne
            2021 Imagine 17MKE
            2016 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.0

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyCub View Post
              First time poster, hope I did everything right.
              Yes, you did fine. Welcome to the forum. Please check out the New Members thread when you get a chance (you may have read it already? I see you have a sig line which is very helpful!) https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Jim ( Guest ), Brian ( Country Campers ) and Mike ( MikeG90 ) will probably be along shortly to chime in. You did see what Mike has done in this thread, right?

Again--welcome!

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Our brand new 2021 17MKE blew a tire with 500 miles on it and did quite a bit of damage. We have to replace black tank and are not happy. Thinking of adding diamond plate fenders to protect future damage.

Is anyone doing that?

The tire in front of the one that blew is losing 10 pounds per day. We have zero confidence in these tires, Westlake ST205/75 R 14. First time poster, hope I did everything right.

We are thinking of installing Northern Tool's Tie Down Engineering Adjustable Tandem Teardrop Fender 60-72" and looking for feedback. Thanks.

Welcome and sorry to see the tire issue.

Many of us have dumped the Westlake tires and have opted for other brands which most notably have been Goodyear Endurance for a nice American made tire with a good track record.

Jim

Comment

Is anyone doing that?

Sorry to see this happening to yet another person. I’d look into the Goodyear Endurance tires. It’s what ended up going with because of their reputation.

I can’t comment on your particular trailer but I know on mine the frame brackets may have posed a clearance issue with the fender.
                  Mike & Kristyn
                  '20 Imagine 2800BH
                  '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
                  ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Thanks y'all.

We are having some trouble finding the Goodyear Endurance tires in our size. Seem to be backordered with manufacturer delays.

I am far from a satisfied customer at this point. A month waiting for parts to repair damage to our brand new trailer from a tire with 500 miles on it is just not acceptable.

John and Christyne
                    2021 Imagine 17MKE
                    2016 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.0

Comment

Thanks y'all.

We are having some trouble finding the Goodyear Endurance tires in our size. Seem to be backordered with manufacturer delays.

I am far from a satisfied customer at this point. A month waiting for parts to repair damage to our brand new trailer from a tire with 500 miles on it is just not acceptable.
                      I agree that this is unacceptable. There are also some questions as to how the tires were treated during delivery from Grand Design , these guys have been know to tow RV's as though they owned them. It would be hard to determine what had happened to your tire to cause this but it sure did make a mess. Realizing that you only towed this 500 miles is it possible that you hit a large pot hole or a curb some where? Just to note that I am not blaming you but just trying to gather info to try to understand how this might have happened.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Before Goodyear Endurance tires came into the market (less than three years ago), the trailer tires with the best reputation were Maxxis. I have run Maxxis tires on my Reflection 5th wheel for three years with no problems . . . (but, then again, before that I ran my OE Westlake tires for three years with no problems). Maxxis trailer tire have been built in the same plant in Thailand for over 10 years and have always had a good reputation. Is less than three years long enough for Endurance to earn "a good reputation" even if they are built in the US? If you can't find Endurance tires, you might consider Maxxis.

I will be looking for new trailer tires in the next year or so (based on age). Will they be Endurance or Maxxis . . . hmmm 🤔.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob,

We may need to only look for the first Westlake tread shedding incident on this site or the other place and how long it took to surface. I've not seen a single example on the GY Endurance tires to date. Also like my Michelin TV tires as well. They are also US made where they also have an excellent track record. Maxxis has has a good track record to your point as well as Sailun for those that are not particular in where they are sourced.

Jim
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2020, 09:01 PM.

Comment

I wanted to go ahead and provide an update on the project.

As of today (day 24) my part (metal skirting) has finally been ordered through the dealer. Yes, that's right, it look 24 days and multiple employees at both the dealer and GD to confirm the part number and place an order. It's become a second job making sure other people are doing theirs. In fact the dealer was so bad that I had to get GD to call them and ask what was going on. Basically every time I called my service advisor they said the "parts guy" was busy, not there, or would call me back right away. To this day I've never spoken to the mythical parts guy. I had to have a GD employee check to see if my parts were ordered because the dealer will just flat out not respond to me.

I'm thankful for the couple of employees at GD ( GDRV-Megan in particular who went out of her way to help me confirm that part number) who knew their stuff. Unfortunately I had to go through several others and a few hours worth of work to get to them.

I apologize for the rant, but what gives? This is one of the worst customer service experiences ever. In my opinion GD is hamstringing itself by not holding incompetent service departments accountable for sub-par customer service. 24 days to place an order for a part....

Anyhow, once I get the metal in I'll update the thread with my installation experience.
                            Mike & Kristyn
                            '20 Imagine 2800BH
                            '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
                            ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG90 View Post
                              I apologize for the rant, but what gives?
                              This is pretty typical across all industries. In my experience, customer service is pretty much dead. What's sad is when a customer service rep actually does their job, we are amazed and astounded when they are actually just doing what they get paid to do. Very sad.

Here's one funny story- When we picked up our 2020 Solitude 310GK, one of the fenders was cracked. We had the dealer order a new one and it came in a couple weeks later. Actually a good experience! That was back in March. A couple weeks ago out of the blue I got an email from our dealer saying our replacement fender came in. Huh???? I told them we already got our replacement fender eight months ago! Oh well....

What I really like about Grand Design in regards to customer service is this forum where we can contact customer service reps directly and ask for help. Several of their reps are excellent and really do go out of their way to help us. It's very refreshing. We also have the forum moderators here who also go out of their way to help. The weak link is DEALERS! Like many others, I could write a book on the poor experiences I've had with my dealer.

Keep us updated on your progress MikeG90 and thanks for sharing your project with us!
                              Brian & Kellie
                              2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                              2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                              2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                              2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Just a note to add to the service received from GD. The area where they are located has been dealing with covid in different stages at different times of this year. Recently the service members that one would contact by phone have been moved back to working from home , as well as others in the process. Although this does not give you a warm fuzzy feeling it is worth noting that even thought they may have access to the part numbers and such things just do not happen as fast when they are not at there desk and have easy access to everything. Dealers are dealing with this as well , not to make excuses for any one , but it is an unusual time.
                                I agree with your rant and it is well deserved , in my business I have waited too long for things as well.

Brian
                                Brian & Michelle
                                2018 Reflection 29RS
                                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                                X