Does Michelin make trailer tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Michelin make trailer tires?

Does anyone know if Michelin makes a trailer tire that would fit the 303? We have a 2019. I’m thinking of upgrading from the Westlakes, and looking for options.

We have a membership in the Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA) and one of the features of that membership is a savings on Michelin tires. I have been in the trucking industry for over 40 years, and I know that we ran Michelins on some of our units, I just don’t know if they make a trailer tire.

If so, does anyone have any experience with them?
    Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

LT tires are good on a trailer. A little more rolling resistance because of the tread pattern, but structurally the same.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

If you compare the two primary tire type specifications there is a significant difference and I would not consider an LT tire for a direct replacement of an ST tire in the same size and load range.

For example, lets look at size 235/85R16, Load Range E

Goodyear Endurance ST235/85R16 Load Range E - Maximum Load per tire is 3,640 Pounds
      Michelin XPS Rib, LT235/85R16 Load Range E - Maximum Load per tire is 3,042 Pounds.

The ST tire in the same size and load range is rated for 598 more pounds of load per tire. Or 2,382 across all four tires. I would NOT use a tire that has a lower load range than what Grand Design has specified as stated on the tire loading label on the side of the trailer.

If you really want to use an LT tire, you'll need to use a larger tire or a larger load range in order to get the load capacity back up to where it's supposed to be.

Personally, I'd stick with a good quality ST tire such as the Goodyear Endurance. In fact, tire stores such as Discount Tire will frequently refuse to swap a lower rated LT tire for the same sized ST tire.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I would have to disagree with post #2 on this. LT tires are not designed for use on trailers. There was a time when trailer tire quality was so bad that many switched to LT tires as a better alternative. This is no longer the case. Every tire manufacturer’s website will explain why trailers should have ST tires. This is also a good overview. https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/1...s-vs-lt-tires/

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Good article. Some information up to date and some like speed ratings for all tires not so much. The Goodyear Endurance tire is N rated for up to 87 MPH for those crazy enough to tow at those speeds.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Jim

Comment

Thanks. I wasn’t planning on going to an LT tire, I’ve read quite a bit about that. I’ve read that the Goodyear Endurance may be hard to come by, so I’m looking at other options, in the ST class. With that in mind and back to the original question, does Michelin make an ST tire that would fit the 303?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post
              back to the original question, does Michelin make an ST tire that would fit the 303?
              The Michelin website does not show any ST tires (that I can find) . . . and, I don't recall ever seeing a Michelin trailer tire.

Rob

Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

That being said I'll add my 2 cents here to suggest Saliun tires. I've read plenty on both them and the GY's as have many on this and other forums. I chose the Saliuns and never gave it a second thought. Well, except to check pressures and tread depth. They've been fine for 3 years and will be replaced next year with the same.

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
                  That being said I'll add my 2 cents here to suggest Saliun tires. I've read plenty on both them and the GY's as have many on this and other forums. I chose the Saliuns and never gave it a second thought. Well, except to check pressures and tread depth. They've been fine for 3 years and will be replaced next year with the same.
                  The question here might be the wheel size on the OP's Reflection 303RLS. If it has the standard 15" wheels, Sailuns won't be an option because their smallest rim diameter is 16".

​​​​​​​Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks, all. I do have 16’ wheels. I had looked on the Michelin site and didn’t see any ST tires either. I just didn’t know if I might be missing something. With the trailer winterized, I may pull the spare and take it over to the Goodyear store, as an example, and see what they can do in swapping the four Westlakes. I’ll probably keep the spare, as it’s brand new and I probably am not too concerned with it in the spare position. We’ve put about 8,600 miles on the other Westlakes, in 18 months. I think I’m okay keeping a new one, out of the same batch, as the spare.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post
                      Thanks, all. I do have 16’ wheels. I had looked on the Michelin site and didn’t see any ST tires either. I just didn’t know if I might be missing something. With the trailer winterized, I may pull the spare and take it over to the Goodyear store, as an example, and see what they can do in swapping the four Westlakes. I’ll probably keep the spare, as it’s brand new and I probably am not too concerned with it in the spare position. We’ve put about 8,600 miles on the other Westlakes, in 18 months. I think I’m okay keeping a new one, out of the same batch, as the spare.
                      Tom

This spring I had a tire place put on new Goodyears , and I also kept the Westlake spare. If the spare gets me to where I am going then it did its job , then I get the bad tire fixed or replaced.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Tom in PGH and Country Campers ,

Exactly what I did, too. When I went to the Sailuns (third set of tires) I kept a "good enough" Endurance and bartered with the tire installer. He took the still-new, never-used Westlake spare and didn't charge me for removing and installing the Endurance on the spare rim.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                          Good article. Some information up to date and some like speed ratings for all tires not so much. The Goodyear Endurance tire is N rated for up to 87 MPH for those crazy enough to tow at those speeds.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Jim
                          That's why I play it safe, and never go over 85
                          2018 Reflection 315RLTS
                          2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Tom

This spring I had a tire place put on new Goodyears , and I also kept the Westlake spare. If the spare gets me to where I am going then it did its job , then I get the bad tire fixed or replaced.

Brian
                            Brian,

I removed all five Westlakes and sold them to a fellow with a car hauler. With 2K miles on the Westlakes and with his light loading and steel fenders he should be in good shape. Since I moved up from a D rating to an E rating I air the GY Endurance tires to 60 psi. I recall someone on the forum discussing his spare exploding while he was in the bathroom. Entertaining since nobody was hurt and there was no damage.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                              I recall someone on the forum discussing his spare exploding while he was in the bathroom. Entertaining since nobody was hurt and there was no damage.
                              Ummm...that was me on the potty and it was a semi parked next to me.

From Oct 2018 (you have quite the memory, Jim!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	1018.JPG
Views:	722
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	34604
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X