Lug Nuts Stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lug Nuts Stripped

We purchased our 2670MK in August. Prior to our 3rd trip I wanted to torque the lug nuts. 3 or 4 would not torque as the lug nuts were stripped enough that the socket couldn't grip. Has anyone else had, or heard of, this problem. Do I need to contact GD or just take back to my dealer?
    2120 Imagine 2670MK
    2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

Originally posted by scdock View Post
    We purchased our 2670MK in August. Prior to our 3rd trip I wanted to torque the lug nuts. 3 or 4 would not torque as the lug nuts were stripped enough that the socket couldn't grip. Has anyone else had, or heard of, this problem. Do I need to contact GD or just take back to my dealer?
    Is it the hex on the lug nut that the socket can not get a grip? Or is it the threads that are stripped?

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers It's the hex on the lug nut.

Scott
      2120 Imagine 2670MK
      2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

Comment

The hex has an actual chrome cover on it that could become damaged causing the socket not to fit. If you can remove that cover you might be able to use a smaller socket to get the nut off. I believe that you should be using a 3/4" socket.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

scdock
          From you description it sounds like the outer surface of the lug nut (usually a stainless steel cap over the steel lug nut) is damaged. This usually occurs if a 12 point socket is used rather then the 6 point socket that can properly grip the flats of the nut. A 6 point socket may still be able to grip the damaged lug nut, but the damaged ones should be replaced.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just go to your local auto parts store and buy some new ones. They aren't rv specific. Just make sure you get the same size.
            2018 Reflection 315RLTS
            2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

I am using a 6pt 3/4 inch socket. If that socket fits over covers then safe to assume the actual lug nut itself is a little smaller, say 11/16? I didn't realize they were caps over the actual lug nut. I'll check this weekend. Thanks all for the responses.
              2120 Imagine 2670MK
              2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

Comment

I just ran across this old thread and wanted to advise your that your F150 probably has the same issue with lug nuts that actually have a cover/cap over them. I was alerted to this by the Ford dealer while getting an oil change/tire rotation. They told me that they couldn't get the lug nuts off to rotate my tires without destroying them and I would need a new set $200 OEM lug nuts....which would have the same problem in a few years. They told me to get some aftermarket 1 piece chrome plated lug nuts for $50 and change them myself....which I did the next weekend.

This made me SO mad at Ford at the time. What if I had a flat out in the middle of nowhere and couldn't get the lug nuts off to change a tire?? I almost wrote a letter to Ford advising them that I would have gladly paid them 40 thousand AND FIFTY dollars for a truck with real lug nuts

Now I have to go check my trailer lug nuts too apparently!! What is it with manufacturers using lug nuts with caps over them these days? Maybe this has been a thing for a while and I am just now finding out about it....but it really irks me.

OK...sorry about the rant

BillM321
                Bill M.
                2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Comment

BillM321
                  Hi Bill,

This only happens if someone goes at these lug nuts with a 12 point socket and an impact driver. Many (all?) manufacturers use this style of lug nut and if a 6 point impact socket is used, the nuts can be removed as often as necessary for the life of the vehicle, without damage.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    BillM321
                    Many (all?) manufacturers use this style of lug nut and if a 6 point impact socket is used, the nuts can be removed as often as necessary for the life of the vehicle, without damage.Rob
                    Had them on my 2003 Duramax. They have been around for awhile. Originals still on the truck when we traded it in 15 years later.
                    Robert and Chris
                    2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
                    2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      BillM321
                      Hi Bill,

This only happens if someone goes at these lug nuts with a 12 point socket and an impact driver. Many (all?) manufacturers use this style of lug nut and if a 6 point impact socket is used, the nuts can be removed as often as necessary for the life of the vehicle, without damage.

Rob
                      That was explained to me many years ago by a service director at a Jeep dealership. He said the chrome covering is like a lamination, that is very tightly molded to the actual nut. Using a 12-point socket (even by hand tightening/loosening) will "work" the lamination loose, distorting it, and eventually causing it to separate. He showed me a box full of damaged nuts that came from various vehicles on which people used a 12-point socket.He kept those (along with some other damaged parts) handy for presentation at their monthly "Right From the Start" seminars.

Comment

Originally posted by Summit1 View Post

That was explained to me many years ago by a service director at a Jeep dealership. He said the chrome covering is like a lamination, that is very tightly molded to the actual nut. Using a 12-point socket (even by hand tightening/loosening) will "work" the lamination loose, distorting it, and eventually causing it to separate. He showed me a box full of damaged nuts that came from various vehicles on which people used a 12-point socket.He kept those (along with some other damaged parts) handy for presentation at their monthly "Right From the Start" seminars.
                        ----- Water & salt get under the cap, then they rust and swell. Snap-on even makes a special socket for the swollen lugnuts. On my F150 I replaced them with a set of Gorilla solid lugnuts.
                        Last edited by Cate&Rob; 03-08-2021, 08:33 AM. Reason: Derogatory comment removed
                        2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

mbopp
                          Differing opinions are encouraged on this forum . . . derogatory comments will not be tolerated.

Rob (Moderator)
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                          X