Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Undersized axles on Momentum 320G or just poor design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS My rig is nose high even with a stock truck and the Ram has a lower bed height than the Ford. Grand Design told me to either lower the truck or lift the trailer...

Looking at 1.5" or 2" lift blocks to lift the trailer, just sucks I have to spend almost 700 bucks plus my time and labor to fix these issues. I don't see how you could tow this trailer with any modern truck and have it tow level?

Not sure how much difference that would make either, but I do drag my tail end on tight steep windy roads often so it wouldn't hurt to get a couple inches of clearance in the back...
    2021 320G 3 Awnings, Patio Kit, 3 Season Doors, 3 ACs, Upgraded Stereo, 400 Watt Solar, Chins 300 mah Lithium Smart Battery, Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter
    2022 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB w/ Air
    SOLD 2019 F-350 XLT CCLB B&W Companion Hitch, Airlift Air Bags, Upgraded F/R Sway Bars, Leveled on 34s.
    2020 KTM 250 XC-f, 2019 KTM 300 XC, 2021 GasGas EX250f, 2021 KTM 125 XC, 2021 Kawi KLX140f/g

Comment

• chikenstiker I like a lot about the Gen Y. I have not driven it, but I have ridden in my buddies truck with it and I think the ride is similar to my GooseBox, but admittedly it was not on the highway. I would think the only downside is its not "authorized" by Lippert, but honestly seeing how its built I am not worried about it. WondersAwait Is my friend who has it.

I wanted to get the B&W but when my system was coming down I had a trip coming up and I had to take what I could get next day from Prime. I have the Reese ball here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My buddy has the B&W and I much prefer the handle on top.

I run about 7-8" of clearance to the bed rails.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

• Originally posted by chikenstiker View Post
        PS My rig is nose high even with a stock truck and the Ram has a lower bed height than the Ford. Grand Design told me to either lower the truck or lift the trailer...

Looking at 1.5" or 2" lift blocks to lift the trailer, just sucks I have to spend almost 700 bucks plus my time and labor to fix these issues. I don't see how you could tow this trailer with any modern truck and have it tow level?

Not sure how much difference that would make either, but I do drag my tail end on tight steep windy roads often so it wouldn't hurt to get a couple inches of clearance in the back...
        I lowered the rear of my truck by removing the factory 4" spacers and replacing with F250 2" spacers. I raised my rig a bit by switching to the MorRyde SRE4000 equalizer and slightly taller tires. I now tow level.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

RoyB ncitro

What Ball height did you end up with to get your assuming 6" bed clearance? I was looking at the B&W 2" with removal handle and chain holders.
          I believe I went with the OEM Mopar setup which looks the same as the Curt. The B&W looks nice but it's too tall imo. According to the level system this picture I was approx .75 degrees low in front. Truck was at Alt ride height. When I changed it to normal height it raised to .25 degrees low in front. The lot looked pretty level fwiw. My tires are slightly taller than OEM. I think 34 or 34.5" tall. I think my airbag in the hitch was slightly overinflated, I was too lazy to drop some air out.

From memory I have about 5" clearance with the hitch as high on the camper is it can go with airbag at level on the hitch. I don't see any reason to need more unless you are offroading. I park my camper in my loading dock which is depressed at a pretty good angle and there's still ton of room. Keep in mind the 320G is pretty short as well. A 43' trailer will have more of an affect when it's off camber due to the length it is from the truck.

I'd like to see pictures of your slide-out system. Sounds like a nice setup. I could use something like that. I have my cord hanging on the front wall of the driver side access. I have my grill in a big tub for now but it's a waste of space.

Attached Files
          2020 GD 320G
          2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyB View Post

I believe I went with the OEM Mopar setup which looks the same as the Curt. The B&W looks nice but it's too tall imo. According to the level system this picture I was approx .75 degrees low in front. Truck was at Alt ride height. When I changed it to normal height it raised to .25 degrees low in front. The lot looked pretty level fwiw. My tires are slightly taller than OEM. I think 34 or 34.5" tall. I think my airbag in the hitch was slightly overinflated, I was too lazy to drop some air out.

From memory I have about 5" clearance with the hitch as high on the camper is it can go with airbag at level on the hitch. I don't see any reason to need more unless you are offroading. I park my camper in my loading dock which is depressed at a pretty good angle and there's still ton of room. Keep in mind the 320G is pretty short as well. A 43' trailer will have more of an affect when it's off camber due to the length it is from the truck.

I'd like to see pictures of your slide-out system. Sounds like a nice setup. I could use something like that. I have my cord hanging on the front wall of the driver side access. I have my grill in a big tub for now but it's a waste of space.

When you say the goosebox is as high as it can go on camper you mean it's up thus lowering the front of the rig correct?

I have ~6" of clearance and can't imagine going any lower, I've had the bed of the truck just touch/ just miss the trailer before on some of the fire roads and off camber camping spots and occasional parking lot entrance. So if you're at 5" the tall ball would probably put me at 6" or so.

I am debating lowering the hitch for my next trip (all pavement and nothing crazy) just as a test to how it tows more level, but I won't have dirt bikes so it won't be a good test.
            2021 320G 3 Awnings, Patio Kit, 3 Season Doors, 3 ACs, Upgraded Stereo, 400 Watt Solar, Chins 300 mah Lithium Smart Battery, Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter
            SOLD 2019 F-350 XLT CCLB B&W Companion Hitch, Airlift Air Bags, Upgraded F/R Sway Bars, Leveled on 34s.
            2020 KTM 250 XC-f, 2019 KTM 300 XC, 2021 GasGas EX250f, 2021 KTM 125 XC, 2021 Kawi KLX140f/g

Comment

• Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I lowered the rear of my truck by removing the factory 4" spacers and replacing with F250 2" spacers. I raised my rig a bit by switching to the MorRyde SRE4000 equalizer and slightly taller tires. I now tow level.
              I'd sure hate to lower the truck too much for the wood runs and other trips to the woods while not towing.

One of the reasons I bought the Ram is it was shorter than the Fords bed height and the Bed is ~1" shallower than the Ford thus letting me lower the front of the trailer a smidge.

Comment

I'd sure hate to lower the truck too much for the wood runs and other trips to the woods while not towing.

One of the reasons I bought the Ram is it was shorter than the Fords bed height and the Bed is ~1" shallower than the Ford thus letting me lower the front of the trailer a smidge.

Yeah my Ford (2019 SRW) is crazy high. I'm pretty sure the DRW is lower, and they lowered mine in 2020. I couldn't believe how high it was.

Neil Citro

Comment

• RoyB
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	drawer1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.4 KB ID:	88420
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	drawer2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.3 KB ID:	88421
                  Last edited by chikenstiker; 06-23-2022, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Yeah my Ford (2019 SRW) is crazy high. I'm pretty sure the DRW is lower, and they lowered mine in 2020. I couldn't believe how high it was.
                    yeah that's what threw me when GD told me it was my problem to lower truck or lift trailer, I'm like it's stock and lower than the Ford and I think the GM?

I'm a little leery about lifting the trailer, when I'm out next weekend I'll see how much I would need.

Comment

yeah that's what threw me when GD told me it was my problem to lower truck or lift trailer, I'm like it's stock and lower than the Ford and I think the GM?

I'm a little leery about lifting the trailer, when I'm out next weekend I'll see how much I would need.
                      Yeah I didn't want to add any subframe, but I thought going with taller tires and a taller equalizer was a decent option. It's been a while now but I think I netted 1.5" of lift.

Neil Citro

Comment

• So the MorRyde SRE4000 looks to just lower the middle or 1/2 of each leaf spring. The mfr specs say it will lift less than 1/2" hmm?

The H Rated tires on my rig seem pretty tall already, but I guess that could be an option. I noticed they are a narrower tire than many other 5th wheels come with. 215/75 vs 225/75. looks like this would only "lift" the rig ~1/4"

I was debating if I lifted it adding tube steel and cutting/welding it in vs a small block by these guys.

https://www.trailerblocks.com/collec...ing-tie-plates
                        Last edited by chikenstiker; 06-23-2022, 11:03 PM.

Comment

So the MorRyde SRE4000 looks to just lower the middle or 1/2 of each leaf spring. The mfr specs say it will lift less than 1/2" hmm?

The H Rated tires on my rig seem pretty tall already, but I guess that could be an option. I noticed they are a narrower tire than many other 5th wheels come with. 215/75 vs 225/75. looks like this would only "lift" the rig ~1/4"

I was debating if I lifted it adding tube steel and cutting/welding it in vs a small block by these guys.

https://www.trailerblocks.com/collec...ing-tie-plates
                          WHOA wait a minute. What size wheels came on your rig? My tire size is 235/80-16 and that's what came on it. Unless you have 17", those are way shorter than what came on mine. 2" diameter less. In fact, I was looking at tires yesterday and noticed they have 235/85-16 available which is an inch taller than mine overall. The westlakes on there now are load rated 4080lb each. That gives me a little buffer room @ 16,320lbs. The 235/85s are rated at 4400 lbs each and should give me 1/2" raise in height. Next year I will probably change them out. The end of this season will be 4 years on the tires.

I notice when I run standard height on my truck (vs alt trailer height) that it does sway a hair bit more. So the front really needs to be down to eliminate the sway. If you are an inch shorter height due to the tire could be part of the problem. Plus 215 width are pizza cutters. Even our Ford Escape has 225!

I will have to measure but pretty sure it's about 5" clearance. You could always pump up the airbag on the goosebox to gain a little more clearance if yo need it. I don't go offroading with my trailer though.

I started poking around yesterday in the pass-thru and took off the side panel. I figured there was a lot of wasted space and I was right. I ordered up a 5' long moreryde drawer and will modify the wall a little to accommodate it. I would had built one like you, but by the time I got around it it, the camping season would be over. As much as I like the wet bay system they have, I wish they would had designed it a little better. I would have preferred a real pass-thru and a separate door for the wet bay.
                          Attached Files
                          2020 GD 320G
                          2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyB View Post

WHOA wait a minute. What size wheels came on your rig? My tire size is 235/80-16 and that's what came on it. Unless you have 17", those are way shorter than what came on mine. 2" diameter less. In fact, I was looking at tires yesterday and noticed they have 235/85-16 available which is an inch taller than mine overall. The westlakes on there now are load rated 4080lb each. That gives me a little buffer room @ 16,320lbs. The 235/85s are rated at 4400 lbs each and should give me 1/2" raise in height. Next year I will probably change them out. The end of this season will be 4 years on the tires.

I notice when I run standard height on my truck (vs alt trailer height) that it does sway a hair bit more. So the front really needs to be down to eliminate the sway. If you are an inch shorter height due to the tire could be part of the problem. Plus 215 width are pizza cutters. Even our Ford Escape has 225!

I will have to measure but pretty sure it's about 5" clearance. You could always pump up the airbag on the goosebox to gain a little more clearance if yo need it. I don't go offroading with my trailer though.

I started poking around yesterday in the pass-thru and took off the side panel. I figured there was a lot of wasted space and I was right. I ordered up a 5' long moreryde drawer and will modify the wall a little to accommodate it. I would had built one like you, but by the time I got around it it, the camping season would be over. As much as I like the wet bay system they have, I wish they would had designed it a little better. I would have preferred a real pass-thru and a separate door for the wet bay.
                            In 2021 Grand Design made it a "mandatory option" to upgrade to H-Rated tires so the trailers started coming with H rated 215/75-17.5, so my tires are theoretically 1/4" taller than your 16s but narrower. They do seem like pizza cutters to me.

Alt-height isn't meant to be towed with and is meant to lower the truck for hooking up and unhooking or softening the ride for slow rough roads and such (per Ram). I use it before I unhook often and when I'm on a fireroad approaching my campsite.

I've had to get in that pass-thru compartment after installing my drawer and it was a pain as I had to remove the drawer to get back in there. It was to replace my charger/converter to a Lithium one so I could actually get a full charge on my batteries. Hopefully never again as that was quite a hassle and it's a mess in there!

I too was going to modify and buy a moryde, but dang they are proud of their drawers. LOL

Comment

• I was debating one of these Gen Y hitches as well. Save about $1,000 from the Goosebox and a new Goose Hitch and still add weight to the front and damping. 1,000 vs 2,000 for goosebox.

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...ll-description

Comment

In 2021 Grand Design made it a "mandatory option" to upgrade to H-Rated tires so the trailers started coming with H rated 215/75-17.5, so my tires are theoretically 1/4" taller than your 16s but narrower. They do seem like pizza cutters to me.

Alt-height isn't meant to be towed with and is meant to lower the truck for hooking up and unhooking or softening the ride for slow rough roads and such (per Ram). I use it before I unhook often and when I'm on a fireroad approaching my campsite.

I've had to get in that pass-thru compartment after installing my drawer and it was a pain as I had to remove the drawer to get back in there. It was to replace my charger/converter to a Lithium one so I could actually get a full charge on my batteries. Hopefully never again as that was quite a hassle and it's a mess in there!

I too was going to modify and buy a moryde, but dang they are proud of their drawers. LOL
                                17.5 is still shorter than the 16s, but not substantially. I wonder if it's because of the 8K lb axle option they started offering.

The Alt Height is for towing. It lowers the bed about an inch. The Bed Lowering is for hooking/unhooking and turns off above 8mph. That lowers it even further.

Moryde is proud. The 4' model was affordable at $320. The 5' model was a bit steep @ $520. However I don't think the 4' would allow me to reach far enough since they are only 60% extension. Decent HD slides were about $120. Plus the wood and my time.... $520 wasn't too bad then.
                                Attached Files
                                2020 GD 320G
                                2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Working...
                                X