Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Undersized axles on Momentum 320G or just poor design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyB View Post

17.5 is still shorter than the 16s, but not substantially. I wonder if it's because of the 8K lb axle option they started offering.

The Alt Height is for towing. It lowers the bed about an inch. The Bed Lowering is for hooking/unhooking and turns off above 8mph. That lowers it even further.

Moryde is proud. The 4' model was affordable at $320. The 5' model was a bit steep @ $520. However I don't think the 4' would allow me to reach far enough since they are only 60% extension. Decent HD slides were about $120. Plus the wood and my time.... $520 wasn't too bad then.
    So recalculated and the 17.5s are about 1/2" shorter or 1/4" less "lift"
    sidewall height
    235 80 16 7.401575 30.8
    215 75 17.5 6.348425 30.2
    Mine does not have the 8k axles, wish it did now...

Interesting on the Bed Lowering, I see it's only on the app screen. I was told by dealer and others the alt mode was for hooking. Maybe I'll test that this next trip.
    2021 320G 3 Awnings, Patio Kit, 3 Season Doors, 3 ACs, Upgraded Stereo, 400 Watt Solar, Chins 300 mah Lithium Smart Battery, Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter
    2022 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB w/ Air
    SOLD 2019 F-350 XLT CCLB B&W Companion Hitch, Airlift Air Bags, Upgraded F/R Sway Bars, Leveled on 34s.
    2020 KTM 250 XC-f, 2019 KTM 300 XC, 2021 GasGas EX250f, 2021 KTM 125 XC, 2021 Kawi KLX140f/g

Comment

17.5 is still shorter than the 16s, but not substantially. I wonder if it's because of the 8K lb axle option they started offering.
      The 17.5" tires were mandatory for the 8K axle's, and not an option for the standard 7K axle's.

Thanks for all the work you guys have been doing. It is frustrating that even with a light bike in the back (500 lbs), I have had to add about 350 lbs (heavier pinbox/water) up front to get to my current 18.7% pin weight. I currently do not have, or very little sway. I have Timbren springs on the truck, and the trailer sits about 1 - 1.5" nose high.
      2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
      2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

• Originally posted by Wileykid View Post

The 17.5" tires were mandatory for the 8K axle's, and not an option for the standard 7K axle's.

Thanks for all the work you guys have been doing. It is frustrating that even with a light bike in the back (500 lbs), I have had to add about 350 lbs (heavier pinbox/water) up front to get to my current 18.7% pin weight. I currently do not have, or very little sway. I have Timbren springs on the truck, and the trailer sits about 1 - 1.5" nose high.
        It appears to be mandatory across the line now on the 320G. Yesterday I built my same optioned camper on their website and the 17.5s were mandatory even when the 8K lb axles were not selected. I would like to purchase that 8K lb + disk brake setup though. My RV dealers dropped the ball on getting me pricing as they seem to have no interest. Guess I am on my own.

I WILL say I am completely blown away by the pricing. I built my 320G around the summer of 2019 as a 2020 model. It arrived early fall. MSRP was $85K. Current MSRP, same build, $125K. I am guessing those prices are likely outdated as well. Looks I am keeping this one for a while now.
        2020 GD 320G
        2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

• Pricing is crazy. We posted ours to test the water and have a couple who wants to buy it, but a new replacement would cost us 18-25K. Sucks to have to deal with this and add weight and pinboxes and such.

I've been in contact with the dealer, Grand Design and others and keep getting the run-around. I didn't want to spend my own money if they would fix anything, but apparently I'll have to or sell it and lose money...

I did have a long conversation with a higher up customer service rep earlier this week and he told me "it is what it is" WTH?

Told me 10-15% Pin weight is the range and when I said shouldn't it be 20% he said I must know more than him and I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm talking about. Told me I need to learn how to load my trailer better and get more weight forward and that it's my fault for buying the shortest model that comes with a garage. Told me them measuring my frame and axles and making me do all the tests was them just trying to do their due diligence but that nothing is wrong....
          2021 320G 3 Awnings, Patio Kit, 3 Season Doors, 3 ACs, Upgraded Stereo, 400 Watt Solar, Chins 300 mah Lithium Smart Battery, Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter
          SOLD 2019 F-350 XLT CCLB B&W Companion Hitch, Airlift Air Bags, Upgraded F/R Sway Bars, Leveled on 34s.
          2020 KTM 250 XC-f, 2019 KTM 300 XC, 2021 GasGas EX250f, 2021 KTM 125 XC, 2021 Kawi KLX140f/g

Comment

It appears to be mandatory across the line now on the 320G. Yesterday I built my same optioned camper on their website and the 17.5s were mandatory even when the 8K lb axles were not selected. I would like to purchase that 8K lb + disk brake setup though. My RV dealers dropped the ball on getting me pricing as they seem to have no interest. Guess I am on my own.

I WILL say I am completely blown away by the pricing. I built my 320G around the summer of 2019 as a 2020 model. It arrived early fall. MSRP was $85K. Current MSRP, same build, $125K. I am guessing those prices are likely outdated as well. Looks I am keeping this one for a while now.
            Pricing is crazy. Just looked up the build and pricing on the 320G, mine was just over $90K MSRP when I built/purchased it in February of '21, now it shows a little over $123K MSRP. I was able to get 28% off MSRP on the purchase.

I see that the 17.5" tires are required, wonder what the reasoning is. I do like the now factory available two panel 330W solar.

The disc brakes are amazing. Should be standard/required on any trailer over 14K lbs.

Your original posts on the axle weight issue in late 2020 is what prompted me to get the 8K axles. From what I was told at the time, it was not an option on the trailer until around January of 2021, and I actually think your posts back then helped push GD into offering them.
            2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
            2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

• Originally posted by Wileykid View Post

Pricing is crazy. Just looked up the build and pricing on the 320G, mine was just over $90K MSRP when I built/purchased it in February of '21, now it shows a little over $123K MSRP. I was able to get 28% off MSRP on the purchase.

I see that the 17.5" tires are required, wonder what the reasoning is. I do like the now factory available two panel 330W solar.

The disc brakes are amazing. Should be standard/required on any trailer over 14K lbs.

Your original posts on the axle weight issue in late 2020 is what prompted me to get the 8K axles. From what I was told at the time, it was not an option on the trailer until around January of 2021, and I actually think your posts back then helped push GD into offering them.
              I don't know if it was me. The 351M already offered it per my earlier posts. I would surely had paid to upgrade on the 320G at the time of ordering if it was available though.

GDRV-Megan is it possible to order the 8K lb axles + disk brakes directly from GD? The dealers around here are less than helpful. I have a trip this weekend where we will be bringing the 2 ATVs + water since there are no hookups. Based on my numbers for the Cycle I will certainly be overloading the axles.
              2020 GD 320G
              2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

I don't know if it was me. The 351M already offered it per my earlier posts. I would surely had paid to upgrade on the 320G at the time of ordering if it was available though.

GDRV-Megan is it possible to order the 8K lb axles + disk brakes directly from GD? The dealers around here are less than helpful. I have a trip this weekend where we will be bringing the 2 ATVs + water since there are no hookups. Based on my numbers for the Cycle I will certainly be overloading the axles.
                Megan is no longer monitoring this site, she has moved to another department.

All Members please do not tag Megan.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

• Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Megan is no longer monitoring this site, she has moved to another department.

All Members please do not tag Megan.

Brian
                  She is still listed as Moderator with activity as recent as June 6. Who is her replacement?
                  2020 GD 320G
                  2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

She is still listed as Moderator with activity as recent as June 6. Who is her replacement?
                    She was actually an Administrator and her last activity was in April. Are you getting her confused with another?

There had been no replacement as of yet.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

• Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

She was actually an Administrator and her last activity was in April. Are you getting her confused with another?

There had been no replacement as of yet.

Brian
                      Sorry, Admin, not Moderator.
                      Attached Files
                      2020 GD 320G
                      2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Sorry, Admin, not Moderator.
                        That's the last activity on that thread she's subscribed to. Like Brian said her last activity was in April.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2B212DFB-1178-43E5-972B-627D0691DE91.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	88737
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

• Originally posted by ncitro View Post

That's the last activity on that thread she's subscribed to. Like Brian said her last activity was in April.

One day will figure out how these forums work.
                          2020 GD 320G
                          2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

One day will figure out how these forums work.
                            No worries I'm still finding new features.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

• Found a deal on a Reese Goosebox yesterday and installed it last night! Between the Goosebax and the Chains I weighed it as 100 lbs addition. Hoping this helps out a bit with the Pin Weight. B&W Ball should arrive Tomorrow and I leave for a trip on Friday! Yeah!

Funny, 15 minutes after getting the Goosebox installed the dealer emailed me and Grand Design wants them to tow my rig now so they can see how it rides. Really, right after I start fixing it myself??? They aren't using my truck for this! They want it full, but this trip doesn't inslude dirt bikes so I guess sometime after I get back I have to load it special for Grand Design for like the 8th time...

PSS!!! When I went to loosen the 12 bolts holding the Pin Box in, they were ALL ONLY HAND TIGHT!!!!! I'm not exaggerating, I filmed it with phone in one hand and ratchet in the other and could easily break them loose! I suggest everyone check theirs before their next outing!!!!!!

Next Step after this trip will be Moryde SRE4000 which is supposed to have a nicer ride and lift the Rig 1/2" -1 1/2".

Comment

WHOA wait a minute. What size wheels came on your rig? My tire size is 235/80-16 and that's what came on it. Unless you have 17", those are way shorter than what came on mine. 2" diameter less. In fact, I was looking at tires yesterday and noticed they have 235/85-16 available which is an inch taller than mine overall. The westlakes on there now are load rated 4080lb each. That gives me a little buffer room @ 16,320lbs. The 235/85s are rated at 4400 lbs each and should give me 1/2" raise in height. Next year I will probably change them out. The end of this season will be 4 years on the tires.

I notice when I run standard height on my truck (vs alt trailer height) that it does sway a hair bit more. So the front really needs to be down to eliminate the sway. If you are an inch shorter height due to the tire could be part of the problem. Plus 215 width are pizza cutters. Even our Ford Escape has 225!

I will have to measure but pretty sure it's about 5" clearance. You could always pump up the airbag on the goosebox to gain a little more clearance if yo need it. I don't go offroading with my trailer though.

I started poking around yesterday in the pass-thru and took off the side panel. I figured there was a lot of wasted space and I was right. I ordered up a 5' long moreryde drawer and will modify the wall a little to accommodate it. I would had built one like you, but by the time I got around it it, the camping season would be over. As much as I like the wet bay system they have, I wish they would had designed it a little better. I would have preferred a real pass-thru and a separate door for the wet bay.
                                I picked up a Goose Box a couple days ago and put it in the "Standard" position, well B&W Ball came today and I have 7" (Not level ground driveway/side yard) and after I pumped the bags up to mid-point I have 8" clearance. Looking at your pic it seems you mounted your one hole higher than standard. They don't list that on their instructions and I called and they said it's not how they usually do it, but I can. I'm debating moving it up 1 hole which I guess would put me at 6" inflated and 5" if my bag ever blew or anything... hmm?

I'd leave it, but I was nose high before and wonder how much that contributes to sway.

Comment

Working...
                                X