Better TV Tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better TV Tires?

Interested in upgrading my F150 XLT tires for better towing/handling. Any suggestions? Would like to get a set of Michelin as they seem to wear very well but I understand I need a stiffer sidewall and better load rating. Currently running stock tires, Hankook, 275/55R20.
    John and Lori
    2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22MLE

John,

Michelin tires are the benchmark in the tire world for auto and truck. They also tend to be the most expensive. They have excellent concentricity and typically require a minimum of balance weight. I have the Michelin LTX Defenders and they are quiet and have been wearing extremely well. Using E rated tires on my half ton, the sidewall stiffness can be felt unloaded where I run anywhere from 37-40 psi in non towing and while towing 45psi on the front and 50 psi on the rear. I would not exceed 65 psi on a half ton truck rim and IMO its not needed anyway where the truck will handle better at the pressures listed.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2020, 09:14 AM.

Comment

I used Hankook RF10's on my TV and was quite happy with them. BUT, I bought that particular style of tire because I live in north western Ontario, I wanted snow traction and off road capability in winter months. Bit of a compromise.
      If you don't need to worry about snow, rib highway tires are a better choice for towing.
      And I agree with Jim, Michelin build a very good tire.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I recently replaced my tires with the Firestone Transforce. They are doing very well and have plenty of winter traction.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          I recently replaced my tires with the Firestone Transforce. They are doing very well and have plenty of winter traction.

Brian
          I am surprised to hear tht the Firestone Transforce are doing well. The ones on my 2019 RAM3500 are already worn to 10/32nds after less than 15,000 miles some of which were done with winter tires. From what I can tell these are really soft poor wearing tires.

Rob
          Rob & Barb
          2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
          2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

I am surprised to hear tht the Firestone Transforce are doing well. The ones on my 2019 RAM3500 are already worn to 10/32nds after less than 15,000 miles some of which were done with winter tires. From what I can tell these are really soft poor wearing tires.

Rob
            Well you made me go look. I have 10/32 left and about 21,000 miles so I guess you are right. I will have to look for a better set next time around. I am please with them though , not loud and good traction. They are the AT2 model. Now all I have to do is figure out what is best for the next time, hopefully 2 years from now.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Well you made me go look. I have 10/32 left and about 21,000 miles so I guess you are right. I will have to look for a better set next time around. I am please with them though , not loud and good traction. They are the AT2 model. Now all I have to do is figure out what is best for the next time, hopefully 2 years from now.

Brian
              That sounds about the same. I had towed about 7000 miles on mine so far which I know wears them more. I had Michelin LTX which wore much better as well I had Kumho that I really liked on my Tundra. Unfortunately they don't make the Kumho in my 20" size tire and Michelin is outrageously priced from what I have seen since I had them on my Tundra.

Rob
              Rob & Barb
              2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

An LT tire I think is the way to go for towing, as for brand I agree Michelin is probably one of the best and worth the extra cost.

Comment

Originally posted by JHC View Post
                  Interested in upgrading my F150 XLT tires for better towing/handling. Any suggestions? Would like to get a set of Michelin as they seem to wear very well but I understand I need a stiffer sidewall and better load rating. Currently running stock tires, Hankook, 275/55R20.
                  My HDPP F150 came with E spec LT tires. LT245/75R17E. Label pressures are 55 psi front and 60 psi rear. I run lower than this when empty, for ride quality and slightly higher than this when towing. The OE tires were BF Goodrich Rugged Trail TA. They wore evenly and well. Going from 14/32" to 6/32" in 130,000 km (80,000 mi). They are M&S rated but reasonably quiet and made in the USA. I might have even pushed them a little further if it had not been time to tow from Canada to Florida.

So . . . I replaced then with exactly the same tires. I had to search a little to find BFG tires, but the replacements are performing just as well as the originals.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Brian
                    My truck came with Transforce tires on it. I picked up the truck in June 2018 and the first winter they were fine. The second winter, 2019, I felt like I was driving on banana peels. My co-worked said 'take a look at your rear tires'. I took a look and was astonished to see the rears at about an eighth of an inch tread depth. At 22000km. Thats somewhere around 16000 miles. I rotated them and just recently replaced them with Toyo AT2's. I didn't want to head into another winter with those Transforce tires.

You said recently replaced. You will find this winter's traction quite good. Be prepared for next winter though. Just my 2 cents.
                    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I put a set of "E" rated Continental TerrainContacts on my F150. One of the few LT tires with a mileage warranty.
                      2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

Working...
                      X