Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TPMS Revisited - TST 507 Which valve stem caps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPMS Revisited - TST 507 Which valve stem caps.

OK - I will freely admit I am a neanderthal when it comes to these systems All I know is that it gives you a warning (DW car)

With Black Friday approaching I thought I would research it. So I have read all the threads here - the other place - IRV - U-tube - and a lot of other brand RV web pages. Folks like a lot of different systems, but the TST 507 is mentioned more with less problems, Changing lanes did a nice video on setting it up, (are they members here?) but he changed where what caps went, he had flow through and the button ones.

Background - I am up sizing tires and rims. I have the Selen T13 rims and will be getting 235/80/16 Goodyear endurance tires. I will be getting the Selen recommend metal valve stems.

So according to https://www.technorv.com/tst-tire-pr...oring-systems/ there are four different types of sensors. An internal band mount, and three valve stem caps, one of which is sealed for marine use and one pass through model. I tried to call them, but need to wait for Monday. Price wise it's pretty much the same with the internal band type being a bit more. However the band type would read temperature better. It that important?

I was going to get the Ford system, but it is more expensive by a few hundred dollars and does not monitor temperature. The TST 507 color monitor is rechargeable so no power wires run as my backup camera has.

I know several here have the TST 507 system, so my question is which sensors to I get. I was thinking of the sealed marine units, but cant find if the battery is replaceable like on the others. As I will have the metal valve stem I can use the pass through too, but that is a lot of weight there.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Keith

On edit - while looking at the sensors in the TST kits I noticed one was labeled TireView https://www.tireview.com/products I wonder who makes what?
    I will call Monday
    Last edited by Yoda; 11-21-2020, 02:28 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Keith. I have the TST 507 and my first choice was the flow through sensors. But they were so buggy. Three of four would not allow air to pass through. And one leaked around the battery seal. I lost that system in the 2016 fire, and replace it with the screw on caps. They have worked flawlessly for four years now. I took the "locking" feature off so I can just screw them on like a valve cap now. No tool required. I remove them anytime the RV is in storage and the batteries last much longer that way.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Keith. I have the TST 507 and my first choice was the flow through sensors. But they were so buggy. Three of four would not allow air to pass through. And one leaked around the battery seal. I lost that system in the 2016 fire, and replace it with the screw on caps. They have worked flawlessly for four years now. I took the "locking" feature off so I can just screw them on like a valve cap now. No tool required. I remove them anytime the RV is in storage and the batteries last much longer that way.

Jim
      Thanks Jim
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I run an older TST system and it has worked flawlessly for the last 5 or so years. I have the standard screw on caps, plus 1 for my spare. I find the batteries last 1.5-2 years on average. I am too lazy to pull them at storage time so I am sure that doesn't help.

I ordered the built-in trailer tire pressure sensor system on my 3500 so I am not sure what sensors will work with that. It does come with 4 x in wheel sensors and it doesn't look like it does temperature. Temperature is a nice feature, but not a must have imo. I'd rather have seamless integration without changing batteries every couple years if it means giving up the temperature readings. Plus one less display to mount and keep charged. Obviously the draw back is you will need a lot of in-wheel sensors if you have multiple trailers and you can't easily transfer between trailers should you sell one or seldomly use another.
        2020 GD 320G
        2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Update
          I did find out one thing - the sealed caps do NOT have replaceable battery

Comment

Well its ordered. I went with the 6 standard cap sensors.
            I went through Etrailer and used their price pledge as I found it cheaper elsewhere. Please don't think ill of me, but with covid my budget is very tight this year. I have found Etrailer great to deal with over the years.

Thanks folks

Comment

Working...
            X