Spare tire under RV on XLS 17 MKE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare tire under RV on XLS 17 MKE

Just purchased this new Grand Design Imagine XLS 17MKE. How do you lower the spare from under the trailer. Does it take a special tool? Do you have to get under trailer to lower it. At 80 years old with back problems I plan to retrieve it and stow it in the back of my truck when towing the trailer.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Originally posted by Bigefromtx View Post
    Just purchased this new Grand Design Imagine XLS 17MKE. How do you lower the spare from under the trailer. Does it take a special tool? Do you have to get under trailer to lower it. At 80 years old with back problems I plan to retrieve it and stow it in the back of my truck when towing the trailer.
    There is a gold colored wrench that you use for the leveling jacks. There is a hole , usually on the door side right in line with the spare tire in the lower portion of the skirting. The wrench goes thru the hole and there is a nut that sticks out from the frame. Turn this nut counter clockwise to lower the spare tire , and then clock wise to rewind the cable. You may also want to tape the hole shut where the cable comes down from the frame.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The pic below is the tool Brian referenced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tools.JPG
Views:	2051
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	36746

Also--since that was your first post please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

An add on you may not have skirting so the nut you are looking for may just be sticking out of the frame directly away from the spare tire.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Bigefromtx Welcome to the forum and the family!

Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

To make sure we were giving you good info...as you can see below the spare tire is under your trailer, just in front of the axles. (You can see the edge of the steps in the top left of the picture to orient yourself.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	spare tire.JPG Views:	0 Size:	152.7 KB ID:	36805

Just to the left of the entry door in the trim you'll see the hole that the tool referenced earlier goes through to lower the tire.

Click image for larger version  Name:	spare tire hole.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.1 KB ID:	36806
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

First welcome to the forum. I too moved my spare out from under the trailer, and put it out back using a Curt receiver tire carrier and anti rattle clamp (etrailer) . Does you unit have the square receiver out back? Possibly another option for you,

Happy and safe travels.

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

GDRV should have left the spare on the back bumper for the exact reasons you listed. The spare location under the rig should be an option IMO.

Jim

Comment

An option for those concerned about the difficulty of retrieving a lowered spare from under the trailer, might be to carry a "furniture dolly" in the truck or pass-through storage. (This might have other uses for moving heavy things). In the unlikely event that you need to use your spare, this is an easy way to bring it out from under the trailer. I carry twin spares under the trailer and use a dolly if changing tires at home.

I have had to drag a spare out twice while on the road (in 5 years of travel) and did not find this to be too onerous. Actually less effort than getting the flat tire into the bed of the truck to take it for repair .

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Here is a folding dolly similar to the one I use for fire wood. It may help.

Magna Cart Personal 150 lb Capacity Aluminum Folding Hand Truck (Black/Red) - - Amazon.com

Jim

Comment

Incidentally, my trailer didn't come with the spare but GD sent me one. Now I'm putting it where it is designed to go but I'm wondering if it goes into the insulation which will require me to cut more of it off, or does it just ride up against the insulation?
                      Allen and Cyndi
                      Ford-a Venture!!!
                      Ford F-350 and GD Solitude 382WB

Comment

I just purchased the 2023 model of 17mke and I do not see a hole to use to lower the spare tire. Did they change it on my year ? If so where is it located ?

Comment

Originally posted by Btcamp56 View Post
                          I just purchased the 2023 model of 17mke and I do not see a hole to use to lower the spare tire. Did they change it on my year ? If so where is it located ?
                          There may not be a hole in the side skirting but there should be one in the frame rail with a nut sticking out. You should find this on the door side in line with the spare tire.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Btcamp56 View Post
                            May seem like a dumb question (from me)--is the spare tire on your trailer in the same location as shown in post 6?

Comment

Yes it is the same spare tire location. I did find the hole with the nut. But it was on the other side under the slide out. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X