Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MORryde IS and Kodiak Disc Brakes -- 315RLTS (Post 1 of 3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RCooper View Post
    Great post on the MORryde IS...did the upgrade effect your selection of tires? What tire are you running now ? Getting ready to buy new tires before we head up to MORryde for the upgrade. Any input will be appreciated.
    RCooper--welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum!

The short answer is no. I'd already swapped out the OEM supplied Westlakes for Goodyear Endurances, but as I've documented in another thread that was purely a "feel good" decision and not one necessarily based on reliable metrics. Changing to the Goodyear definitely was not a requirement for the MORRyde upgrade. MORRyde reinstalled my wheels and tires with no change.

As mentioned in this thread, though, it was mildly annoying that they didn't reinstall the better-looking OEM wheel nuts.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Great post, thank you very much. Now that GrandDesign is starting to offer MORryde disc brakes as an option on certain orders, does anyone know if the brakes are reusable if/when I upgrade to IS?
      My trailer: Grand Design Momentum 397TH with many small modifications and a fairly large (1700W panels, 10KW batteries) DIY solar install.

My truck: 2020 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 DRW, 6.7L Cummins HO Turbo Diesel, Aisin 6-speed, 4.10 axle, Patriot Blue Pearlcoat, Longhorn L1, Towing Tech, Max tow, Towing prep, 30K 5th wheel, Cold Weather pkg, Safety group, Body color bumpers, Tow hooks, Auto level, 50 gal fuel, Bed step, Side steps, Sunroof, Aux switches, Air Horn, TruXedo Sentry bed cover

Comment

Originally posted by Sckarolek View Post
        Great post, thank you very much. Now that GrandDesign is starting to offer MORryde disc brakes as an option on certain orders, does anyone know if the brakes are reusable if/when I upgrade to IS?
        Thank you for the kind words.

Regarding disc brakes, yes, MORryde would incorporate them into their IS system so you don't have to buy them again. Give Brian at MORryde a call at @ (574) 293-1581 ext. 1673 to confirm.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Sckarolek View Post
          The new disc brake option is not a MORryde product. When MORryde installs the independent suspension system, they use Kodiak brake components. I've seen several instances where pre-installed disc brakes were moved to the MORryde IS when MORryde installs the suspension system, though.

Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

UPDATE>>>Just got back from Elkhart. Did the IS, disk brakes and 8-lug rims, what a difference! Messed up the kitchen slide while on jacks but Brian called Grand Design who called Lippert, they sent a tech over. Some adjusting and welding and we were off. There was a spacer missing which allowed the slide to tip to far crowning the guide tubes allowing the gears to jump. Alot of great people at GD and LCI and Brian is the awesome!
            Rick and Chris
            2019 Reflection 315RLTS
            2018 Ford F250 Powerstroke

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

The new disc brake option is not a MORryde product. When MORryde installs the independent suspension system, they use Kodiak brake components. I've seen several instances where pre-installed disc brakes were moved to the MORryde IS when MORryde installs the suspension system, though.

Rob
              Thanks for the information, and sorry for the delay in seeing your response.
              My trailer: Grand Design Momentum 397TH with many small modifications and a fairly large (1700W panels, 10KW batteries) DIY solar install.

My truck: 2020 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 DRW, 6.7L Cummins HO Turbo Diesel, Aisin 6-speed, 4.10 axle, Patriot Blue Pearlcoat, Longhorn L1, Towing Tech, Max tow, Towing prep, 30K 5th wheel, Cold Weather pkg, Safety group, Body color bumpers, Tow hooks, Auto level, 50 gal fuel, Bed step, Side steps, Sunroof, Aux switches, Air Horn, TruXedo Sentry bed cover

Comment

Originally posted by RCooper View Post
                UPDATE>>>Just got back from Elkhart. Did the IS, disk brakes and 8-lug rims, what a difference! Messed up the kitchen slide while on jacks but Brian called Grand Design who called Lippert, they sent a tech over. Some adjusting and welding and we were off. There was a spacer missing which allowed the slide to tip to far crowning the guide tubes allowing the gears to jump. Alot of great people at GD and LCI and Brian is the awesome!

Could you please post what type and model RV you have? TT or 5th wheel? howson has a TT and had a slide issue. I would like to know if that is a common denominator.
                2018 Momentum 376TH
                2016 RAM 3500 Duall
                y

Comment

Vonzoog.... We have the same trailer as Howson, a 315RLTS. I think the problem was the trailer was not supported in the middle and was not level. Talked to Brian and our Tech Sergio about it and they were going to try it on a bumper pull that was coming in shortly after us. I think the frames are designed to be supported on the axles and because it is so long (38') it allowed the frame to sag
                  Rick and Chris
                  2019 Reflection 315RLTS
                  2018 Ford F250 Powerstroke

Comment

^^^Thanks for the response. I’m getting the independent suspension by MorRyde in late August and was planning on spending my nights in the RV while It is jacked up in the shop. Was concerned about the slides being out. Appears to be an issue with your unit and not necessarily mine.

I understand what you are saying about a TT that is 38 feet long. I have had owners of long TT’s tell me how long my 42 foot Momentum is and I am looking at their overall length with truck completely in front of their TT that has to be as long as I am going down the road. All of that trailer hanging off the rear bumper has to be more of a challenge towing down the highway than my set up. Makes you think That all long TT’s should be pulled by a dually just like the large/heavy 5th wheels. Look out, now I have started a new debate.
                    2018 Momentum 376TH
                    2016 RAM 3500 Duall
                    y

Comment

17 Dec 20 Update: The YouTube Channel Changing Lanes (Chad and Tara) have installed the IS suspension and disc brakes on their Momentum.

Of note, it is possible to get the IS installed prior to delivery of a new GD trailer. Watch their video for more information at https://changinglanesrv.com/morryde-...nsion-upgrade/

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                        Of note, it is possible to get the IS installed prior to delivery of a new GD trailer.
                        Yep! We did this last spring. Grand Design did a fantastic job coordinating the move to and from MORryde to get the work done prior to shipping to my dealer.
                        Brian & Kellie
                        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Regarding the Timken bearing replacement. There is another company out there that offers a Timken bearing upgrade with their disk brake install. When I asked for details, they told me that they will replace the foreign bearings with Timken bearings, but this does NOT include changing the races in the new rotors. Whenever I change bearings, I always install matching races too.

I'm not sure what MorRyde's policy is. But If you go this route, make sure you understand exactly what you're getting with your modification.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                            Regarding the Timken bearing replacement. There is another company out there that offers a Timken bearing upgrade with their disk brake install. When I asked for details, they told me that they will replace the foreign bearings with Timken bearings, but this does NOT include changing the races in the new rotors. Whenever I change bearings, I always install matching races too.

I'm not sure what MorRyde's policy is. But If you go this route, make sure you understand exactly what you're getting with your modification.

Jim
                            Jim correct me if I am wrong but if the races have not been used yet, as in no miles on them, why would you need to change the races? They have not been worn into a bearing yet so it should all be good. When you are changing bearings with miles on them yes you need to change the races. I do this as well but without miles on I don't believe you need to change the races as they are not machined pairs from my understanding.

Rob
                            Rob & Barb
                            2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                            2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

Jim correct me if I am wrong but if the races have not been used yet, as in no miles on them, why would you need to change the races? They have not been worn into a bearing yet so it should all be good. When you are changing bearings with miles on them yes you need to change the races. I do this as well but without miles on I don't believe you need to change the races as they are not machined pairs from my understanding.

Rob
                              I would be very cautious about using bearings from one manufacturer in races from another. They are "supposed to be" manufactured to the same dimensions and tolerances, but a proper fit is more likely with parts from the same source. My thought would be that if you are going to spec premium bearings . . . include the matching races as well.

(another) Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

X2 on Rob.

Bearings and races must always be replaced in matched (matched by manufacturer) sets. Would be very concerned about a tolerance stack up issue if using bearings and races from different manufacturers. News bearings must always be accompanied with new races.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X