Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MORryde IS and Kodiak Disc Brakes -- 315RLTS (Post 1 of 3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wholeheartedly agree with bearings & races being replaced as a pair!
    Been several years since I replaced any wheel bearings but didn't think they came as anything other than a pair in package?
    Besides, if the quality of the original bearings is suspect due to materials and/or workmanship - why would the bearing race from the same supplier be any different?
    Chris
    Chris
    2019 Solitude 3740BH
    2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
      Wholeheartedly agree with bearings & races being replaced as a pair!
      Been several years since I replaced any wheel bearings but didn't think they came as anything other than a pair in package?
      Besides, if the quality of the original bearings is suspect due to materials and/or workmanship - why would the bearing race from the same supplier be any different?
      Chris
      Chris,

Years ago bearings and races were packaged together. With modern machining practices this is rarely done where the parts are sold separately. But its still important to use the same manufacturer in replacing bearings and races.

Once a bearing has been used it will wear in together with the race and this wear pattern would be different than matching new and old parts.

Its easy to replace races as long as the hub or drum is on a solid surface and a brass drift is dressed to the curvature of the race. Or some folks will take their hubs or drums to the auto parts store to have the races swapped at around $10 each.

Jim

Comment

15 Oct 22 Update
        I've now had the IS installed for three years. As regular forum readers know there are a few lessons-learned along the way. I'm summarizing here for anyone that may be getting the IS installed to arm them with the knowledge I wish I'd had back in '19.

1) MORryde did not align the suspension as required during the initial installation. The caused premature tire wear. MORryde reimbursed me the cost of getting the suspension aligned but it should not have been required. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...year-endurance for the full story. ACTION ADVISED: Insist on receiving a printout showing the alignment of the IS upon completion of the installation.

2) It is my opinion that MORryde did not grease the disc brake slider inserts (and pins) as required during install. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-along-the-way for the full story. ACTION ADVISED: Talk with the MORryde service advisor or, better yet, poke your head into the service bay while the brakes are being installed and ask the technician directly if they've greased the pins with the correct lubricant.

3) MORryde did not use the height adjustment they designed into the system to level my camper. I didn't realize there was an adjustment until recently! Full story here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-s-measurement ACTION ADVISED: Measure the height of the camper at a known point on the bottom rear of the unit to the road (with the camper level) before MORryde installs the IS. You may find the heavy side (usually the kitchen slide) is lower with the OEM suspension. ACTION ADVISED: Talk with your MORryde advisor and comment that you expect them to utilize the 1" of height adjustment they have on their system to get the unit as level as possible from side-to-side. Double-check before leaving by taking the measurements again and looking at the height adjustment settings.

4) You may note in the early posts how the camper is suspended at the extreme ends front and rear. As I documented this causes stress on the frame--DO NOT try and extend the slides in this condition. I've read a different install where MORryde had to call in GD to repair damage incurred due to this exact reason. Unless you can stay in your camper with slides in, plan on staying in a hotel overnight. (Thanks for the input, Cate&Rob .)

Those three short paragraphs above have caused me a lot of grief (and money) that, if taken care of during the installation, would have resulted in a far superior ownership experience. I hope it helps you, reader, to experience a better outcome.

Howard
        Last edited by howson; 10-15-2022, 09:07 AM.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          15 Oct 22 Update
          I've now had the IS installed for three years. As regular forum readers know there are a few lessons-learned along the way. I'm summarizing here for anyone that may be getting the IS installed to arm them with the knowledge I wish I'd had back in '19.

1) MORryde did not align the suspension as required during the initial installation. The caused premature tire wear. MORryde reimbursed me the cost of getting the suspension aligned but it should not have been required. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...year-endurance for the full story. ACTION ADVISED: Insist on receiving a printout showing the alignment of the IS upon completion of the installation.

2) It is my opinion that MORryde did not grease the disc brake slider inserts (and pins) as required during install. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-along-the-way for the full story. ACTION ADVISED: Talk with the MORryde service advisor or, better yet, poke your head into the service bay while the brakes are being installed and ask the technician directly if they've greased the pins with the correct lubricant.

3) MORryde did not use the height adjustment they designed into the system to level my camper. I didn't realize there was an adjustment until recently! Full story here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-s-measurement ACTION ADVISED: Measure the height of the camper at a known point on the bottom rear of the unit to the road (with the camper level) before MORryde installs the IS. You may find the heavy side (usually the kitchen slide) is lower with the OEM suspension. ACTION ADVISED: Talk with your MORryde advisor and comment that you expect them to utilize the 1" of height adjustment they have on their system to get the unit as level as possible from side-to-side. Double-check before leaving by taking the measurements again and looking at the height adjustment settings.

Those three short paragraphs above have caused me a lot of grief (and money) that, if taken care of during the installation, would have resulted in a far superior ownership experience. I hope it helps you, reader, to experience a better outcome.

Howard
          Howard,

We experienced nos. 1 and 3. The installation was done in January, 2020 (coordinated between GD and MORryde during production), and we took delivery a month later. I have the receipt from the alignment we had done in South Dakota this spring/early summer. Do you think it's too late to contact MORryde about reimbursement? (I raised the suspension myself... UUGGHHH!)

Rob
          Last edited by Second Chance; 10-15-2022, 07:54 AM.
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Howard,

Can you send us a pic of the caliper brackets with bushings? You may have a situation where the bushings are made to not be lubricated where they are self lubricated (dry). If the pins are exposed, and grease is added, this could attract dirt and increase friction across the pins.

The inside pads will always wear a bit faster but excessive wear shows there is drag on the calipers moving across the pins. Also there is special high temp brake caliper grease if lubrication is required.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05351-Cal...90129535&psc=1

Jim

Comment

howson . . . a good update, for anyone considering this upgrade. It is unfortunate that the customer has to remind this manufacturer of the right way to do things. You could add note 4 about what happens if the trailer is set on axle stands at its outer ends.

BTW, what happened to the links in Second Chance Rob’s reply ??

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                Howard,

Can you send us a pic of the caliper brackets with bushings? You may have a situation where the bushings are made to not be lubricated where they are self lubricated (dry). If the pins are exposed, and grease is added, this could attract dirt and increase friction across the pins.

The inside pads will always wear a bit faster but excessive wear shows there is drag on the calipers moving across the pins. Also there is special high temp brake caliper grease if lubrication is required.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05351-Cal...90129535&psc=1

Jim
                I'll do so in a thread specifically about the brakes. I'll tag you when the parts arrive and I take the caliper apart.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  howson BTW, what happened to the links in Second Chance Rob’s reply ??
                  Sorry--don't understand the question.

Comment

howsonYou could add note 4 about what happens if the trailer is set on axle stands at its outer ends.
                    Done! Good catch, Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

Howard,

We experienced nos. 1 and 3. The installation was done in January, 2020 (coordinated between GD and MORryde during production), and we took delivery a month later. I have the receipt from the alignment we had done in South Dakota this spring/early summer. Do you think it's too late to contact MORryde about reimbursement? (I raised the suspension myself... UUGGHHH!)

Rob
                      Why not? Send them the information. Feel free to quote this thread and my experience. As others have privately told me, I should have asked for some reimbursement for the premature wear on the Goodyear tires, too.

You and I could commiserate around a campfire (with a cold beverage in hand!) about raising that (not allowed to put the word here that I want to enter) suspension. I'm still sore as all get out.

Comment

howson... BTW, what happened to the links in Second Chance Rob’s reply ??

Rob
                        They weren't supposed to be links, Rob. I used the pound sign to list numbers 1 and 2 from Howard's post and the platform converted them to links. I edited it so it would make sense...

(Another) Rob
                        Rob & Laura
                        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'll do so in a thread specifically about the brakes. I'll tag you when the parts arrive and I take the caliper apart.
                          Thanks Howard,

I know you have a thread on the pads specifically. Thought that may have been on this one with the brakes listed here. Sad that Morryde is cranking out product without the care that is needed, but it still looks like a great solution versus our "Ben Hur" suspension systems.

Jim

Comment

I had the Morryde IS & Disks done last month. Maybe a little longer now. Terrible experience. My installer completely botched the install and they had to remove and redo it. Took an extra day as a result. They wanted to send me on my way until I double checked measurements myself and found the error. Also, I was not that impressed with the brakes. I bled them last week to find quite a bit of air in the system. Stopping seems better but fluid level keeps going down which indicates I have a leak in the braking system somewhere. I relayed this to Morryde and they want me to look for the leak now.
                            The product seems top notch, but I suspect like every business, they are struggling with qualified help. I talked to the Sales manager about my experience and he seemed quick to get off the phone and not want to deal with the situation.

I will make a whole experience post, but I wanted to make sure everything was sorted before I did that. So far it appears it is still not sorted. My total bill was $9K for 2 axles. I honestly expected a little better experience for that price. That's a lot of money to spend to get a sub-par installation on a $100K+ rig.

This experience coupled with the poor weight distribution of the 320G has left a bad taste in my mouth. Part of me just wants to sell this setup and get a simple truck camper and trailer for towing my toys.
                            2020 GD 320G
                            2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Working...
                            X