Sumo spring install TSS-107-47

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keith,

Really looking forward to your feedback in how these work out.

Jim

Comment

Yoda
      You take that trailer on a shakedown run yet?
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
        Yoda
        You take that trailer on a shakedown run yet?
        Sorry - not yet. May be a bit.
        Several over at the other place have and I have seen no complaints yet. On edit The thread is titled Sumo Springs and is several pages long. Good information
        Last edited by Yoda; 04-10-2021, 11:13 AM.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I installed sumos on my 310GKR and have noticed an improved ride. Most notably body roll. I am still planning on installing shocks.
          2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Update
            I went back and correct some mistakes I made. Looking at the pictures in Post #13 you will see in the first photo I have the top bracket reversed. It should be on the inside like shows up in the second photo. Also I used a strap wrench to tighten the spring to pull the top and bottom brackets together. The gap as seen in my photos should not be there. Its all fixed now. Getting the to bracket in the correct spot also gives you better movement to place the spring directly under the frame support.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Update
              Took the trailer in to get the new tires on. Went from 15" Westlakes to 16" Goodyear.. The sumo springs make a huge difference in how the trailer rides. It eliminated the side to side rocking on our local rough roads and reduced the occasional bucking I was seeing on the same roads. They also reduced tire skidding/hopping on washboard. Very happy with the improvement.

Remember these are the heaver rated TSS-107-47 units (black in color)

Hope this information helps folks.
              Keith

Comment

Long trip update.

I Just completed our trip from Colorado to Statesboro GA. Traveled over some horrendous roads, especially in Louisiana (I20). What is this state thinking. The Shreveport I220 bypass is rougher than going straight through and the Trash OMG the shoulders are littered with trash. Monroe was not much better. I pretty much ran the posted limit the whole trip. All I can say is the sumo springs did a fantastic job dampening the trailer bounce and sway. Huge towing improvement over the stock springs. The new Goodyear tires probably helped too.

Comment

Yoda Keith, Louisiana politics has killed the roads (or they divert the money into football). Having grown up in the state, I can attest that they are some of the worst in the south. I understand northern states with frost heave having issues. The only place (and it was a short one) that I think had worse roads was a stretch in Arkansas (and I10 TX/LA line to Houston with it's 365 construction for as long as I can remember).
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

And then there are Michigan roads. lol. Traveling the Ohio turnpike, I'm reminded what a road should be like in the north. It is a toll road, but then again, aren't all roads toll roads in one way or another? Nice to read the sumos have worked so well.

Jim
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2021, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Yoda

Keith

Did you cut or remove some of the coroplast that is above the Sumo spring?

Getting ready to do this install and wonder what you or others did with the coroplast.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                        Yoda

Keith

Did you cut or remove some of the coroplast that is above the Sumo spring?

Getting ready to do this install and wonder what you or others did with the coroplast.

Brian
                        No Brian I left everything as is. Seems to be doing just fine that way. I also did not want another place for water/critters to get in. The folks at Sumo said it would be OK that way too.
                        Hope this helps

Keith

EDIT ; I vaguely remember moving one of the coroplats fasteners over an inch or so though to make room. I also set the preload at the 1/2"

Comment

Country Campers
                          I have the sumo springs in the garage but too chilly here to install until late april. Please add to the thread any tips or pitfalls you encounter.
                          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Yoda

Thanks for the intel. I have them already installed and figured I could cut the coroplast if needed.

Scott'n'Wendy

What I did was set the bracket that holds the Sumo spring to the leaf spring plate in place with a bolt I had laying around and measured from the top of the mount to the coroplast and figured that I needed 1 spacer to get between 1/4 and 1/2" preload, I am around 3/8" or 10 mm. I used the rear jacks to jack up to install, only needing to lift a little is easy for those jacks and they lift that much when using autolevel. A pretty easy install but as Keith had noted moving the gas line is the worst. I also had to move a couple screws that hold the coroplast which is also hard because they are directly above the springs. The kit is pretty nice in supplying everything you could need, I have lots of extras. Having my nice heated garage , 62 F, allows me to get these projects done when there is nothing else to do (also gets me into more projects than I need).

Tools needed are 9/16" deep socket for the Sumo springs and a 3/8" socket for the coroplast screws.

I did not take any pics but can if needed. Once you get started it is pretty self explanatory.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                              Country Campers
                              I have the sumo springs in the garage but too chilly here to install until late april. Please add to the thread any tips or pitfalls you encounter.
                              Look closely at the pictures in post #13 and the fix in post #15 The two plates should fit snug - no gap. The stack should also be centered on the mount. Also in the instructions one plate that is longer needs to be in a specific orientation. I had several reversed and needed to re-do. See post #20.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Look closely at the pictures in post #13 and the fix in post #15 The two plates should fit snug - no gap. The stack should also be centered on the mount. Also in the instructions one plate that is longer needs to be in a specific orientation. I had several reversed and needed to re-do. See post #20.
                                Yes I did learn from your posts and pictures to make sure everything was in line and to specs, it was so nice of you to learn this so others do not have to do it twice.

Brian
                                Brian & Michelle
                                2018 Reflection 29RS
                                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                                X