No announcement yet.

Westlake Tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you took measurements at each wheel while fully loaded you could use the table this way according to Goodyear. My approach was to use the D rated max inflation which was recommended by GDRV and apply this D rating to the E rated line on the chart. This would correlate to 50 psi at 2150lbs. I however wanted additional support without running the tires at their maximum sidewall pressure so I run my tires at 60 psi to give them an additional 230 lbs of support each while having the advantage of a heavy duty tire that will be more puncture resistant at the lower pressures.
    For fuel economy, I have not noticed any significant difference while running the E rated tires on both my half ton truck as well as the Imagine. 9-11 mpg depending on terrain, wind direction and speed.

Merry Christmas

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cruzin View Post

Hello Jim,
      I assume you have the 225/75/r15e tires? A 2017 2600rb has a gvwr of 6995 lbs. For 4 tires that would be about 1750 lbs per tire. According to goodyears chart, inflation would be 35 psi. If this is correct, I would think the tires would be very under inflated. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still trying to understand this stuff.

Thank you,
      Chuck
      Something to consider is that the weight of the trailer is not likely to be spread evenly across all tires. (I know that my Reflection 303RLS is 1000 lbs heavier on the left side than on the right). Tire pressure for all tires should be set to carry the heaviest location plus a reasonable safety margin. Even if upgrading the tires, a good place to start is the pressure spec on the tire label for the lower spec tires being replaced.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob,
        The side to side difference is something I've considered - but it's difficult to reliably quantify prior to each trip.
        What I've done is store my small amount of tools on the side opposite the slide where the refrigerator & stove are and keep in mind where we put things when stowing the loose items.
        So far it's towing well so think we're close enough it should work.

On the topic of how much pressure a tire needs for less than full capacity weight - charts seem to be few and far between for X tire pressure for Y weight I talked with a couple of tire reps and have come up with an "unofficial" rationalization.
        If a G rated tire is good for 4080 lbs at 110 psi or 100% of rated values, then 3250 lbs per tire (our actual axle loading value) = approximately 80% of max weight capacity - 80% of max inflation is 88psi, round up to 90 psi and that's the target inflation value.
        In general, the consensus from the tire reps seems to be that if the tire doesn't have a specific tire pressure chart, then it should have at least 75% of max inflation value as a minimum pressure.

Again, it's not an official methodology, but it makes sense and passes the "smell test".
        Chris
        Chris
        2019 Solitude 3740BH
        2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
          Rob,
          The side to side difference is something I've considered - but it's difficult to reliably quantify prior to each trip.
          What I've done is store my small amount of tools on the side opposite the slide where the refrigerator & stove are and keep in mind where we put things when stowing the loose items.
          So far it's towing well so think we're close enough it should work.

On the topic of how much pressure a tire needs for less than full capacity weight - charts seem to be few and far between for X tire pressure for Y weight I talked with a couple of tire reps and have come up with an "unofficial" rationalization.
          If a G rated tire is good for 4080 lbs at 110 psi or 100% of rated values, then 3250 lbs per tire (our actual axle loading value) = approximately 80% of max weight capacity - 80% of max inflation is 88psi, round up to 90 psi and that's the target inflation value.
          In general, the consensus from the tire reps seems to be that if the tire doesn't have a specific tire pressure chart, then it should have at least 75% of max inflation value as a minimum pressure.

Again, it's not an official methodology, but it makes sense and passes the "smell test".
          Chris
          I checked these numbers against the Goodyear E rated chart and it does not correlate so the tire techs advice may differ from rating to rating or how many plies are used.

On the 80.2 % Load as an example for the E rated Endurance tire, Goodyear claims you can run 55 psi which would be at 68.75% of full scale for pressure. If you however used the techs math, you would use roughly 65 psi which would correlate to 81.25% of full scale for pressure. The Goodyear chart at 81.25% of full scale for pressure correlates to almost 90% of full scale for load. So the techs advice would be safe but may not be optimum.

This tells us that Goodyear performed the necessary engineering verification/validation where they would have measured the load carrying capacity of the tire at each recommended pressure, contact patch for best traction and the resultant tire temperature.
          25 30 35 40 45 50 55 60 65 70 75 80
          % Scale Pressure 31.25 37.5 43.75 50 56.25 62.5 68.75 75 81.25 87.5 93.75 100
          1430 1600 1760 1880 2020 2150 2270 2380 2540 2620 2720 2830
          % Load 50.53004 56.5371 62.19081 66.4311 71.37809 75.97173 80.21201 84.09894 89.75265 92.57951 96.11307 100

Comment

Chris
            Hi Chris,

We could go back to the basics of what the the air pressure in the tire is supposed to accomplish . . . keeping the tire tread flat on the road with the weight being carried. The best way to determine this is with an infrared temperature gauge immediately after pulling off the highway. Take tire tread shoulder and centreline temperatures on each tire. Ideally all should be equal. High shoulder temps indicate an under inflated tire. Higher centreline temps indicate an over inflated tire. Different shoulder temps on the same tire indicate an alignment problem. (Knowledge learned at the race track)

The higher the tire pressure, the rougher the ride for the trailer and everything in it. There is benefit to running a lower pressure that still keeps tread temperatures even.

Rob

Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

TheNescios

Chris,

Since your looking at 16" tires, Goodyear makes the Endurance tire in a ST235/85R16 with a max load rating at 4400lbs @ 110 psi.

Jim
              Attached Files

Comment

Rob,
                Agreed. My goal is to find a good quality tire that doesn't have a mixed bag of reviews which both the Goodyear & Sailun brands seem to have.
                For inflation/load and speed, my goal is to find tires that will meet our needs while keeping us in the roughly 80% of the tires maximum ratings.
                Just feel better not pushing things to the maximum if we don't have to.

Jim,
                The more I research, the less certain I am which way is the best way to go.
                Both the Goodyear and Sailun brands get good reviews - think it's going to come down to which one is available for the better price?
                Do like that the 235/85R16's tend to have a bit more capacity than the 235/80R16's so thinking that will be the way to go with the replacement tires.

Thank you both for the feedback!
                Chris
                Last edited by TheNescios; 12-27-2020, 12:45 PM.
                Chris
                2019 Solitude 3740BH

Comment

Do like that the 235/85R16's tend to have a bit more capacity than the 235/80R16's so thinking that will be the way to go with the replacement tires.
                  Chris,
                  Sailun does make a 235/80R16 (the original specs for the Westlakes that were OEM on your trailer). The Sailun's can be inflated up to 110 psi (4080 lbs of load-carrying capacity). By going to an 85 aspect, aren't you giving up some of the suspension gap between the trailer and tire? The 80 has plenty of weight-carrying capacity. The 85 adds 220 lbs of capacity per tire at 110 psi, but why do you need it? If anything you'll deflate down to 80 psi (like I do) to a 3420 lbs load-carrying capacity (effectively an "E" tire) which is what your trailer is designed for. But you get the benefit of a 14 ply tire with the Sailun.

Not trying to convince you of anything--just wondering why you'd consider the 85 aspect ratio.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The ST235/85R16 will be one inch taller which means it will decrease tire to floor clearance by 1/2 inch.

Both the Goodyear and Sailun would be the top pick.

Jim
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-27-2020, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Howard,
                      I can't help myself from wanting more - it's my Norwegian heritage! If one nail is good, 5 more are better?
                      Plus, in the area where I am the 235/85R16's are actually a few dollars less due to better availability.
                      And then you add in my engineering side and it gets even more convoluted?
                      One of the reasons I'm liking this forum are the viewpoints others share, it's great to have input from others who've either already gone through the thought processes I'm just now going through or at the same point that I am with everyone sharing their information.
                      Chris
                      Chris
                      2019 Solitude 3740BH

Comment

Looking for feedback on the factory Westlake tires on our 3740 bunkhouse and any recommendations others may have on other brands.
                        We're getting ready for our first multi-state trip of over 1,000 miles and it seems like the Westlakes have had a number of issues from what I've read on the forum and been able to Google.
                        Either they fall apart right away or last - but you just don't know how they're going to perform.

This is going to probably go as well as advice on whether to buy a SRW vs DRW tow vehicle and what advertised vs actual weights are on axles, hitches, etc. are..... but I HAD to ask?
                        Seriously - last thing I want to deal with is a tire issue on a trip so feedback is welcomed.
                        Chris
                        Just going to throw in my two cents. I have been running Bridgestone Duravis 250 LT tires for 7 years now. Approx 35000 KM. They have lost less then 1/3 of there original tread. They are 10 ply E-rated. At the time of replacement I had Powerkings. The actual weight of the powerking was 34 lbs. The Bridgestone weighs 51 lbs. A lot more substance to the tire. I like them so much that I kept them off my old Cruiser when I traded it and put the Bridgestones on my Reflection. Maybe worth a look. Made in the USA
                        Last edited by B W Smith; 01-03-2021, 12:14 PM. Reason: I will retract this statement.
                        Brad Smith
                        2016 Reflection 27RL
                        2018 F150
                        2011 Cruiser (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by B W Smith View Post

Just going to throw in my two cents. I have been running Bridgestone Duravis 250 LT tires for 7 years now. Approx 35000 KM. They have lost less then 1/3 of there original tread. They are 10 ply E-rated. At the time of replacement I had Powerkings. The actual weight of the powerking was 34 lbs. The Bridgestone weighs 51 lbs. A lot more substance to the tire. I like them so much that I kept them off my old Cruiser when I traded it and put the Bridgestones on my Reflection. Maybe worth a look. Made in the USA
                          Reiterating a comment from Rob, ST trailer tires used to be so poorly made (some still are), folks moved to LT tires to avoid failure.

But today, the better ST tires are much better than even a good quality LT tire for trailering. The cords are specifically designed to reduce lateral motion (this is why they are not used for tractive effort) as well as to protect the tire in severe scuffing maneuvers such as performing tight turns on pavement.

Jim
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2021, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I just read that interesting thread in regards to using LT tires on this forum. I was one of the guys that used the LT because there where no decent alternatives at the time. I will say that it is interesting to find the difference in use from LT to Trailer only tires. Always learning something new here.
                            Brad
                            Brad Smith
                            2016 Reflection 27RL
                            2018 F150
                            2011 Cruiser (Sold)

Comment

Looking for feedback on the factory Westlake tires on our 3740 bunkhouse and any recommendations others may have on other brands.
                              We're getting ready for our first multi-state trip of over 1,000 miles and it seems like the Westlakes have had a number of issues from what I've read on the forum and been able to Google.
                              Either they fall apart right away or last - but you just don't know how they're going to perform.

This is going to probably go as well as advice on whether to buy a SRW vs DRW tow vehicle and what advertised vs actual weights are on axles, hitches, etc. are..... but I HAD to ask?
                              Seriously - last thing I want to deal with is a tire issue on a trip so feedback is welcomed.
                              Chris
                              I know I am responding to this late but, we traveled from Napa to Denver and back on the Westlake tires with no issues. As far as the SRW vs DRW It really comes down for me at least what we plan on towing in the future. I have a 2500 with the 6.4L SRW which is perfect for right now for towing our Imagine 3110BH Although we want a Momentum toy hauler down the road and will probably get a 3500 diesel DRW for it. So yeah we should have gotten the bigger one knowing what we want later.
                              Brent, Krista, and our 6 year old nugget
                              Cruising with two Black Labs, Lestat and Pandora
                              2021 Ram 3500 Dually Long Bed 4X4 HO Cummins (Blue Sapphire)
                              2021 Imagine 3110BH (The Dog House)

Comment

Just a quick tip. If you have a family member or friend that works at Walmart, they can order and have Goodyear Endurance tires delivered to you at 10% off. My brother just did that for me. Every little bit helps.
                                Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
                                TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Working...
                                X