No announcement yet.

Westlake Tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just replaced the West lakes with the Goodyear Endurance. Same tires that now come on the 2021 units. Have owned several RV's and have Blow outs many times - Always replace Goodyear or Michelin. Never have had any issue with Goodyear

Comment

?? Goodyear Endurance tires now being installed on all units from GD factory? Was looking at getting these on my pending Transcend order.
      Steven L
      2021 Transcend 297QB
      2021 Ford F-250

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowCamper View Post
        ?? Goodyear Endurance tires now being installed on all units from GD factory? Was looking at getting these on my pending Transcend order.
        -- can you confirm this soon-to-be-owner will have Goodyear Endurance tires on his Transcend from the factory?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowCamper View Post
          Good morning! Transcends are currently being built with Westlake tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Miles View Post
            Just replaced the West lakes with the Goodyear Endurance. Same tires that now come on the 2021 units. Have owned several RV's and have Blow outs many times - Always replace Goodyear or Michelin. Never have had any issue with Goodyear
            I’m not aware that Michelin makes an ST-type tire...
            Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
            Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
            2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
            Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
            Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post

I’m not aware that Michelin makes an ST-type tire...
              They don't but some people put the XPS Rib on their heavy trailers.

Rob
              Rob & Barb
              2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Brittany View Post

Good morning! Transcends are currently being built with Westlake tires.
                Wow, what service! Thank you.
                Steven L
                2021 Transcend 297QB
                2021 Ford F-250

Comment

Hey All, its been awhile as I mistakenly thought social distancing applied to posting as well ???

I'm a couple of months behind in this thread, so I come with hat in hand !!

I've traveled about 10,000 miles on E rated Westlakes, (my second set after axle swap to Dexter), and haven't had any problems, but on my way home from Smokey Mtn NP in October got a 1/2" piece of steel right through the tread (which rendered the tire irreparable). That got me thinking the steel isn't as substantial as it could be !!

I'm TRYING to plan a trip to FT for a couple of years and want to spend the summer in Alaska and decided I wouldn't risk doing this with Westlakes so I've purchased Sailun S637 235 80R 16..
                  I couldn't justify spending the same $$$ on an E rated Goodyear as a 14 ply all steel G tire and seems everyone LOVES the Sailun's strength. Actually bought the Sailuns for much LESS.

Think I need to have metal valve stems installed for added safety of 110 psi, and I'm unsure which size circumference stem I will need for the 16 " stock GD wheel ???
                  Wonder if any of you can also help recommend a quality brand from Amazon ??

My 307MKS's dry weight is 9900 and I usually travel around 11-11.5K loaded. Also, I've read somewhere that one should not run these tires lower than 100 psi which will cause uneven wear regardless of your weight ??

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

Your friend,
                  Michael aka Da Breeze ....
                  F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat LB 25 row aux transmission cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 Performance chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks, 152 K

2017 307 MKS 9,875 UVW 12,995 GVWR 1,605 Pin wt.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Breeze View Post
                    Hey All, its been awhile as I mistakenly thought social distancing applied to posting as well ???

I'm a couple of months behind in this thread, so I come with hat in hand !!

I've traveled about 10,000 miles on E rated Westlakes, (my second set after axle swap to Dexter), and haven't had any problems, but on my way home from Smokey Mtn NP in October got a 1/2" piece of steel right through the tread (which rendered the tire irreparable). That got me thinking the steel isn't as substantial as it could be !!

I'm TRYING to plan a trip to FT for a couple of years and want to spend the summer in Alaska and decided I wouldn't risk doing this with Westlakes so I've purchased Sailun S637 235 80R 16..
                    I couldn't justify spending the same $$$ on an E rated Goodyear as a 14 ply all steel G tire and seems everyone LOVES the Sailun's strength. Actually bought the Sailuns for much LESS.

Think I need to have metal valve stems installed for added safety of 110 psi, and I'm unsure which size circumference stem I will need for the 16 " stock GD wheel ???
                    Wonder if any of you can also help recommend a quality brand from Amazon ??

My 307MKS's dry weight is 9900 and I usually travel around 11-11.5K loaded. Also, I've read somewhere that one should not run these tires lower than 100 psi which will cause uneven wear regardless of your weight ??

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

Your friend,
                    Michael aka Da Breeze ....
                    See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...talled-315rlts and specifically post #3.

I run the Sailun's at 80 psi, the same as the Westlake and Goodyears before them. Per Sailun's chart that effectively makes them an "E" rated tire, matching the weight of my trailer. I've got >1,500 miles on them now and I'm very pleased with their performance.

Given you're 12K loaded, and each tire is carrying the same amount (for argument's sake), then each tire is carrying 3K. Looking at the chart that means 80 psi should be fine (as 80 psi will carry 3420 lbs). Was 80 psi the original tire's recommended level?

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...talled-315rlts and specifically post #3.

I run the Sailun's at 80 psi, the same as the Westlake and Goodyears before them. Per Sailun's chart that effectively makes them an "E" rated tire, matching the weight of my trailer. I've got >1,500 miles on them now and I'm very pleased with their performance.

Given you're 12K loaded, and each tire is carrying the same amount (for argument's sake), then each tire is carrying 3K. Looking at the chart that means 80 psi should be fine (as 80 psi will carry 3420 lbs). Was 80 psi the original tire's recommended level?
                      Thanks for your post Howard but I specifically need to know what size and type of metal valve stem is should use on 16" wheels ??
                      Did you put on metal stems ??

As far as pressures go, seems weight capacity may not be the only factor in psi.

I think the tire's design pressure as it relates to sidewall integrity must come into play as well ?
                      But..I'm certainly no engineer

Michael
                      F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat LB 25 row aux transmission cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 Performance chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks, 152 K

2017 307 MKS 9,875 UVW 12,995 GVWR 1,605 Pin wt.

Comment

First post but it’s not a good one unfortunately. Have a 2018 290BH 5er. Probably about 5k miles at most and it’s kept in a storage building when not used and up on the jacks. OEM Westlakes looked great but I blew one today 15 minutes into driving only doing 50 mph on a narrow highway They’re LR E tires and I run them at 75 psi cold (rated at 80 cold). Put the spare on and a local volunteer firefighter stopped by and gave me a tire shop recommendation. Put Carlisle’s on since they got me back from Alaska to Oklahoma with a toy hauler in 2017.

Damage could’ve been worse; fender and the rear skirt are all. But still, it’s our 4th trailer we’ve owned and I’ve never blown a tire, ever. And we baby this thing.

Looks like the tire failed on the sidewall. Anyone have experience getting a new lower skirt from GD or should I just do some body work?

Comment

Not sure how GD is for getting a skirt replaced - but am guessing it's not an actual GD specific part so available from one of the RV parts suppliers that you can find by Googling?
                          On another note, I still have the Westlake G rated tires on my - with a LARGE amount of trepidation - but added the TireMinder i10 TPMS system to my tow vehicle. It helps me monitor pressure & temperature and so far seems to be pretty darn accurate. When I came back from AZ earlier this year could watch the pressure & temps change depending on speed, outside temp, and whether the sun was on the left or right side of the trailer - the peace of mind knowing what was going on with the tires was worth every penny! I've installed the same sensors on the tow vehicle because I like how the screen cycles between it and the trailer showing the pressure & temp for both with alarms if something changes above/below alarm points or suddenly changes pressure.
                          Chris
                          Chris
                          2019 Solitude 3740BH
                          2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Working...
                          X