Lug Nuts on 2018 Imagine Cover Cracked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lug Nuts on 2018 Imagine Cover Cracked

Just finished my first wheel bearing maintenance on 2018 2250RK Imagine and had to replace all lug nuts. The lug nuts were 2 piece design with thin outer cover that cracked when removing lug nuts with impact wrench. Bought solid one piece lug nut set off Amazon to replace cracked lug nuts. Not sure if other have had same problem.

Originally posted by Buckskin View Post
    Just finished my first wheel bearing maintenance on 2018 2250RK Imagine and had to replace all lug nuts. The lug nuts were 2 piece design with thin outer cover that cracked when removing lug nuts with impact wrench. Bought solid one piece lug nut set off Amazon to replace cracked lug nuts. Not sure if other have had same problem.
    Curious what you purchased, Buckskin. Will you please post a link to the item? (Thanks!)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

From Amazon, OrionMoterTech,OMTUT8004, 1/2-20, 24 pc set, $19.99

Comment

• howson
        howson commented
        Editing a comment
        I must need more coffee....neither "OrionMoterTech" nor "OMTT8004" returns anything on Amazon. I'll try again later after I wake up.

Search just using, Orion lug nuts.

Comment

Buckskin

Just curious whether you used a 12 point or a 6 point socket to remove the original lug nuts? There have been reports of 12 point sockets tearing the stainless cover off the lug nuts, but using a 6 point socket seems to work OK.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

In addition to using a 6 point socket I always break the lug nuts loose by hand then finish removing with an impact wrench.
          Colan Arnold
          2016 Momentum 397TH
          Full time since 2016

Comment

Used 6 point socket and Milwaukee 18 volt impact wrench. Use low torque setting when installing lug nuts and finish tightning with torque wrench.

Comment

I am frankly surprised that GDRV is still installing these tin covered lug nuts. I thought they had moved away from this years ago.

When we got our 303 back from the factory with new axles/16" tires & wheels in June, 2018, GDRV installed chrome (not tin covered) lug nuts. Many of us years ago replaced the tin covered lug nuts with real chrome lug nuts. We got ours at Costco as did many other folks. I would suggest replacing the "tin covered nuts" to eliminate the removal and installation challenges and frustration.

Dan
              Dan & Carol
              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I had same issue with the lug nuts ‘slipping’. I used 3/4” socket ( not the six point but the other, with like 16 points) and almost every nut ‘slipped’. Probably would have worked with a 19m 6 point, but I didn’t have one and was torquing before a trip. I borrowed a 19mm to get the lug nuts off that had slipped. I have just bought a set of new one piece lug nuts, from Advanced Auto Zone, that are 1/2 x 20, cone, with a special tool that fits my torque wrench. I like that much better.

The new lug nuts are lighter than the originals and the cone is smaller, but only by a fraction. I am replacing only one tire, yep, I am paranoid like that.

Comment

Working...
                X