How to improve suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to improve suspension

I have a 2020 373MK 150Series. This is a light trailer but I'm really uncomfortable with the spring hangers as they come stock from the factory. There have been several threads of the hangers breaking the weld and separating from the frame.

On my previous trailer, a Crossroads Cruiser, Lippert stated that any modifications, unless performed by Lippert, would void the frame warranty. So I had the hangers beefed up by a Lippert technician. I am assuming this would apply to my current GD trailer???

Will Lippert still do this suspension work? I remember some owners talking about taking their trailers to Lippert for this, but no mention as to cost or convenience. Any advice appreciated.
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

This has been widely discussed and opinions vary. But since we almost exclusively see failures on the rear hangers on the rear axle I would have Lippert install V Clips on those hangers. I would also not perform regular brake tests at panic levels since we know the rotation of the equalizer will result in front axle rise. So as hard as it is to believe, the more brake pressure you apply in heavy brake situations, the lower the braking performance due to lower traction of the front axle. This also puts undo stress on the rear axle, tires and rear hangers.
    The V Clips on the rear hangers on the rear axle and perhaps the MORryde X factor bracket on the center hanger is all I would do. Others may do more or less based on their comfort level and wallet size.

Jim

Comment

Lonestar

With a 2020 Reflection 150 Series, you likely have Dexter hangers which are already considerably wider and better attached to the frame than the LCI hangers that are the subject of most of the previous discussions. In considering a reinforcement plan, it is important to understand that the hanger welds do not break and the hanger does not separate from the frame. The problem with the LCI hangers that the "V Clip" or "V brace" reinforces is a fatigue break of the hanger itself. Note, in the first picture, that the base of the hanger is still welded to the frame and the arms have broken in the "heat and cold bend affected zones" adjacent to the weld and the cold bend of the hanger during its manufacturing process. The second picture is of an installed V Clip.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2899.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	42005Click image for larger version

Name:	V Clip.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	42006
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Attached is pic of my hanger. I have Dexter axles but assumed hangers were Lippert. If these are the Dexter hangers would it still be advantageous to install the V brackets?

My previous arrangement was great. the Lippert tech cut square tubing and welded it inside the hanger arms. Then, at each set of hangers, he went across the trailer and braced the two hangers with 2" square tubing. I used the trailer 11 years with zero suspension issues.
        Attached Files
        2020 Reflection 273MK
        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          This has been widely discussed and opinions vary. But since we almost exclusively see failures on the rear hangers on the rear axle I would have Lippert install V Clips on those hangers. I would also not perform regular brake tests at panic levels since we know the rotation of the equalizer will result in front axle rise. So as hard as it is to believe, the more brake pressure you apply in heavy brake situations, the lower the braking performance due to lower traction of the front axle. This also puts undo stress on the rear axle, tires and rear hangers.
          The V Clips on the rear hangers on the rear axle and perhaps the MORryde X factor bracket on the center hanger is all I would do. Others may do more or less based on their comfort level and wallet size.

Jim
          Are you suggesting the MORryde X factor bracket for the center hangers only? Buying 3 @ $125 each is pricey. Seems like I could have tubing welded for less. Maybe not. I guess the V bracket would not work on the center hanger?

Also, I never do panic breaking on purpose. Hope I never have to!!
          Last edited by Lonestar; 02-05-2021, 01:35 PM.
          2020 Reflection 273MK
          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Are you suggesting the MORryde X factor bracket for the center hangers only? Buying 3 @ $125 each is pricey. Seems like I could have tubing welded for less. Maybe not. I guess the V bracket would not work on the center hanger?

Also, I never do panic breaking on purpose. Hope I never have to!!
            IMO yes just the center hanger. I took video of the underside of my Imagine and the side to side excess movement was found on the center hangers. The reason is that both axles terminate there so the lateral forces will be greatest there. Some have installed the V Clips on all hangers and some have installed the X Factor between all hangers. But you cannot do both since the V Clip will prevent the installation of the X Factor bracket for mounting. Also some have had Lippert weld in cross braces and V Clips. I can only state what I would do where others may feel the method they use is a better solution.

Jim

Comment

Attached is pic of my hanger. I have Dexter axles but assumed hangers were Lippert. If these are the Dexter hangers would it still be advantageous to install the V brackets?

My previous arrangement was great. the Lippert tech cut square tubing and welded it inside the hanger arms. Then, at each set of hangers, he went across the trailer and braced the two hangers with 2" square tubing. I used the trailer 11 years with zero suspension issues.
              Lonestar,

With the Dexter style hanger, you need to do nothing or just install the X Factor on the center hangers. Dexter got it right to create a hanger with an elongated base.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Lonestar,

With the Dexter style hanger, you need to do nothing or just install the X Factor on the center hangers. Dexter got it right to create a hanger with an elongated base.

Jim
                Jim,

Can you tell for certain from my picture that I do have the Dexter hangers? Ideally I'd still like to beef up all the hangers and add cross bracing but if not needed that's great. It would certainly save some time, effort, and money if I can feel comfortable with just the X Factor bracing.

Jerry
                2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

The Lippert style hangers are rectangular so unless I've missed a recent Lippert upgrade, you have Dexter hangars. IMO, I would not be concerned with the hanger in the pic you provided. Nor would I worry about any hangers on the light weight rigs. I would definitely have the V Clips installed as stated on any rigs with the old correct track system since those hangers tended to be longer in height. Other opinions are always respected and may differ but this is what I would do.

Jim

Comment

Jim,

Can you tell for certain from my picture that I do have the Dexter hangers? Ideally I'd still like to beef up all the hangers and add cross bracing but if not needed that's great. It would certainly save some time, effort, and money if I can feel comfortable with just the X Factor bracing.

Jerry
                    Hi Jerry,

You definitely have Dexter hangers with the longer base. This hanger design was part of the reason that Grand Design moved from LCI to Dexter (I know this from specific discussions on this topic, with key Grand Design personnel). With the lighter 150 Series trailer and the Dexter hangers . . . I think you are already in good shape.

x2 on Guest Jim’s info and advice. (Not that this is any surprise . . . we have both been working on the suspension engineering behind this problem, for a while )

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have an early build with Dexter axels and Lippert hangers. The hanger have the Lippert stamp on them "LC in a circle" I think is the stamp. The frames are manufacture by Lippert.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. This makes me feel much better on using my current setup with no issues. I may look into installing the X Factor support but doesn't look like it's a must do now project.

I did just finish yesterday replacing all wheel bearings with Timken (USA made) bearings. I also recently repaired 3 wet bolts that would not take grease. I'm slowly correcting all the suspension issues that should be done at the factory. Now, maybe I can free up some time to go camping!
                        2020 Reflection 273MK
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                          I have an early build with Dexter axels and Lippert hangers. The hanger have the Lippert stamp on them "LC in a circle" I think is the stamp. The frames are manufacture by Lippert.

Brian
                          In the photo below, you can clearly see the LCI stamped on the Lippert hanger on my rig. Lonestar For sure those are Dexter hangers you have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shackle.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	42122
                          Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

HI all, maybe a little late on this but we have a 2021 imagine 2600RB with the Dexter 4400 lb. axels. In reading these posts I got curious, trudged through the snow and took a look at our hangars etc. The whole suspension is attached to what appears to be either a 2 inch square piece of steel or subframe that is attached to the trailer frame rails. This appears to provide a little more tire clearance to the floor/wheel well. I did not see this on any of the other pics so thought I would note this and see if this way of doing things is new or just used on the lighter tt.. Thanks Dave
                            flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by David Nicolls View Post
                              HI all, maybe a little late on this but we have a 2021 imagine 2600RB with the Dexter 4400 lb. axels. In reading these posts I got curious, trudged through the snow and took a look at our hangars etc. The whole suspension is attached to what appears to be either a 2 inch square piece of steel or subframe that is attached to the trailer frame rails. This appears to provide a little more tire clearance to the floor/wheel well. I did not see this on any of the other pics so thought I would note this and see if this way of doing things is new or just used on the lighter tt.. Thanks Dave
                              It can and is used on many TT and 5vrs to provide a bit more clearance. Not necessarily lighter units either.

Rob
                              Rob & Barb
                              2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Working...
                              X