Carrying Two Spare Trailer Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    I moved my spare from under to out back on a Curt receiver mount tire carrier. I left the original mount in place so could put a second tire there.
    Could you post a link to this tire carrier please?

On my previous trailer I ran a chain around the frame brackets to ensure that if the winch cable broke I would not lose my spare. A lock also prevented potential theft. I have not lowered the spare on my new reflection but it doesn't look like it's going to be easy to find the frame without cutting the underbelly material.

I like the way Rob used a 3/5" socket and assembly to prevent the winch from unwinding, but my main concern is the small cable breaking.
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I got it from etrailer along with the anti rattle device to lock the hitch down for no bouncing sided to side or up and down.
      https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=BX88224
      https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-...rt/c31006.html
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Having had to change out a trailer tire twice for non-catastrophic pressure loss identified by my TPMS (bad valve stem and nail puncture) I was then left with travelling without a usable spare. Add to this that a catastrophic tire loss means that the other tire on the same side is severely overloaded for some length of time . . . travelling with two spares is a good idea. But where to put the second spare? In the truck? On the back bumper of the trailer? Hmmm?

It seemed to me that the best place for the second spare tire would be under the trailer beside the first spare tire. Originally, I planned to go behind the original spare, but this got into interference with one of the slide drive mechanisms, so I ended up moving the first spare over and placing the new one beside it. This does mean that one spare is accessed from the street side rather than the curb side, but this is workable. This does keep both spares in the low-bounce, reasonably well protected, area just behind the axles.

More details in the attached.

Rob
        Hi Rob,
        As always, you do an incredible job. I like the idea of adding insulation in the back. what did you use for cross bars?
        thanks,
        Dave
        2016 Reflection 27RL
        2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
        B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post

Hi Rob,
          As always, you do an incredible job. I like the idea of adding insulation in the back. what did you use for cross bars?
          thanks,
          Dave
          Hi Dave,

I use 1” x 2” x 1/16” wall rectangular tube for cross bars. (I started using this on the frame for the forward opening doors). For the aft cross bars, I used this same material welded to 1” x 4” x 1/8” end plates that bolted to the webs of the frame rails.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

While looking at part numbers to order ran across a 18 3/4" shaft version of the tire holder.
            * now I only need to modify one winch shaft!
            link: https://store.lci1.com/offset-winch-...on-166781.html
            Jeff & JoAnn Sibley
            Solitude 344GK (2019)
            F350 DRW (2018)

Comment

It seemed to me that the best place for the second spare tire would be under the trailer beside the first spare tire.
              Rob
              Made modification on my Solitude 344GK and the measurements are the same. I ended up ordering the 37 1/2 version since the shorter I shared was not in stock... I cut my at 18" and let the lug nut side stick a little extra through the frame.
              * Rob did a great job with the writeup! hardest step was drilling through the frame with a hole saw...
              Jeff & JoAnn Sibley
              Solitude 344GK (2019)
              F350 DRW (2018)

Comment

Jeff Sibley

Hi Jeff,

Good to see that this worked out for you. We have now towed ours for 5 days & 1500 miles (Ontario to Florida) over some typically rough roads and both spares are still in place . The new tire lift did relax a little (cable stretch I guess) and had to be tightened up. The original lift stayed tight to the underbody. The new lift stayed tight to the underbody once it was snugged up.

Agreed that the most difficult part of the project was the hole saw through the web of the frame I beam . . . although, that web was significantly thinner (maybe 1/8") than I was expecting.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Having had to change out a trailer tire twice for non-catastrophic pressure loss identified by my TPMS (bad valve stem and nail puncture) I was then left with travelling without a usable spare. Add to this that a catastrophic tire loss means that the other tire on the same side is severely overloaded for some length of time . . . travelling with two spares is a good idea. But where to put the second spare? In the truck? On the back bumper of the trailer? Hmmm?

It seemed to me that the best place for the second spare tire would be under the trailer beside the first spare tire. Originally, I planned to go behind the original spare, but this got into interference with one of the slide drive mechanisms, so I ended up moving the first spare over and placing the new one beside it. This does mean that one spare is accessed from the street side rather than the curb side, but this is workable. This does keep both spares in the low-bounce, reasonably well protected, area just behind the axles.

More details in the attached.

Rob
                  I'd read this post previously but while under my trailer today and looking at it--this is definitely doable! Added to my "down under" list of projects.

Thanks again for the excellent documentation, Rob.
                  Last edited by howson; 05-23-2020, 03:35 PM.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I will keep an eye on these modifications during our upcoming trip to Florida.
                    Rob,
                    Just about to tackle this project. Any update or "lessons learned" now that some time has passed that you'd do differently?

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Rob,
                      Just about to tackle this project. Any update or "lessons learned" now that some time has passed that you'd do differently?

Howard
                      Hi Howard,

The two spares have stayed securely in place. The new cable stretched a little in the first few hundred miles, but after I tightened that up, everything has been fine. There is nothing that I would do differently.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

There is nothing that I would do differently.
                        Since I don't have your mad welding skills I tackled this a bit differently.

Based on what you wrote in post 16 and rough measurements I'd made, I ordered the 16" version of the Lippert winch, the one with the cotter pin. At first look it appeared it would work (spoiler: it did!).

Pic 1: The rod on the OEM assembly tire winch rod (this one was welded to the winch) stuck out about 3.5".
                        Pic 2: The 16" winch I purchased.
                        Pic 3 & 4: Initial look to see if it will work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Initial Measurements.JPG
Views:	575
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	21953
                        As others have documented, the "scary" part was cutting the hole in the trailer frame. I went with the OEM 1.5" hole, duplicating on the street side what was on the curb side (OEM). I did not reinforce the new hole, but did install a rubber grommet. The main difference between the welded rod versus the pinned rod is the latter "flops" around. The rubber grommet will keep from hearing the rod bang around under the trailer.

The new installation has the winch rod sticking out of the frame just over 2"--plenty of rod IMO. I did not add a hole to the trailer skirt (like the one on the curb side) for the manual winch handle. I'll be using my DeWalt power drill with a socket and there should be plenty of room on the street side to get under there with the drill, even with the slide all the way in.

I also installed a "lock" on the winch rod which I believe is very similar to what Kim (ChiefBlueMan) first showed me a few years ago.

Name:	Street Side Install.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	21954
                        For the original winch rod that was now (obviously) way too long, I decided to take a chance and hope the inner pin coming out of the winch body would be the same (had a hole for a cotter pin) like the new one I'd just installed.

First step was to cut down the rod to the exact length as the new one and set it aside.

Then I cut down what was left of the outer rod until I could clearly see the end of the winch's inner pin. I then carefully ground down what was left of the welded rod with a dremel tool until the outer rod (the one I'd just cut down) slid back over the inner pin. (I also found the inner pin had the cotter pin hole--yea!)

Last step was to put a hole in the outer rod for the cotter pin to go through. That was easy with the Drillblock I'd recently purchased. (I've used that gadget quite a bit already!)

Name:	Making the second winch.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	21956
                        I also added a grommet in the original OEM hole and added a lock here, too. The one spare wheel & tire I have went in the curbside position.

BTW--where did you get the extra wheel for the second spare tire???

Name:	Curb Side Install.JPG
Views:	483
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	21955

The second wheel & tire will be one of the four Goodyears I have on the trailer now (when they get replaced).

I'm ready for Alaska, JP! (He's not on here but hopefully will see this later). That goes for you, too, TucsonJim. Who knows, maybe we'll end up there together! (That would be a hoot. Do we have enough payload for all the IPA???)

Thanks again for the idea, Rob, and the excellent documentation.

Howard

Comment

howson
                          Hi Howard,

Great write-up and very similar result to my installation. The OE method of welding the drive tube to the winch shaft “flops about” too, because they never bothered to center the shaft in the tube. Your pinned connection is probably better than the welded connection because it will allow a little flex during rotation. After I realized that the shaft and drive tube were not concentric, I was going to go back and correct this . . . but, how many times am I actually going to lower these spares? I hope, not very often!

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

That goes for you, too, TucsonJim. Who knows, maybe we'll end up there together! (That would be a hoot. Do we have enough payload for all the IPA???)

Thanks again for the idea, Rob, and the excellent documentation.

Howard
                            Did someone say IPA AND Alaska in the same post......now we are talking ! Count Carol and me in !

Dan
                            Dan & Carol
                            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Did someone say IPA AND Alaska in the same post......now we are talking ! Count Carol and me in !

Dan
                              Sounds like the caravan is assembling...saddle up them horses!

Comment

I tackled this a bit differently.
                                I think I followed everything you documented, but I don't see where/how you attached the winch to the trailer/frame. Since I haven't dropped my coroplast, I don't know how the original winch was attached, or how you re-attached the original winch and attached the new winch. Do tell -- and if you have pics, please share them.

Thanks.

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                                Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                                2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                                18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                                640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                                Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                                Somerset, WI

Comment

Working...
                                X