Carrying Two Spare Trailer Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
    I think I followed everything you documented, but I don't see where/how you attached the winch to the trailer/frame. Since I haven't dropped my coroplast, I don't know how the original winch was attached, or how you re-attached the original winch and attached the new winch. Do tell -- and if you have pics, please share them.
    Hope the below helps, Steve!

There are two bolts with a lock washer and nut that hold the OEM provided winch to the rail. The picture below shows the two original holes left after removal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	For Steve.JPG Views:	0 Size:	81.9 KB ID:	21981

To install the winch in the new location, I verified the outer rod was at least 2" through the frame. (The 1.5" hole--the one that has the grommet--had already been drilled out of the frame.) Then I marked where the new holes for winch needed to be (using a pencil to make marks using the holes on the winch body). Before installing the center of the winch to the outside of the trailer was checked, too, to ensure the tire would fit. (The Goodyears have a ~15" radius, and where the winch is installed provided ~16".)

Then I (carefully!) drilled a pilot hole, followed by a step bit until the bolt slid through easily. During the process I checked and double-checked that there was nothing above the rail (like wiring!) and made sure I didn't puncture the floor.

All the holes were painted to cover the bare metal edges (rust prevention).

Finally, the OEM nuts were replaced with lock nuts.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Hope the below helps, Steve!
      Awesome. Crystal clear. Thank you.

-Steve
      2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
      Somerset, WI

Comment

Thanks for this post everyone. I'm going to tackle this project when I drop my coroplast later this week. It will be nice to have two spares when traveling to Alaska.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Nice work...but...
          I would carry two tow vehicle spares before I worried about extra tires for the trailer?
          In over two decades of RV'ing, Ive never needed a second spare. Now if I was going WAAAAYYY off the beaten path, definitely. But for 'normal RV'ing? It's overkill.
          Just my opinion.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
            Now if I was going WAAAAYYY off the beaten path, definitely.
            I'm planning a trip to Alaska in 2022. I think that qualifies. I think my friend TucsonJim still has hope of getting there, too.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Nice work...but...
              I would carry two tow vehicle spares before I worried about extra tires for the trailer?
              In over two decades of RV'ing, Ive never needed a second spare. Now if I was going WAAAAYYY off the beaten path, definitely. But for 'normal RV'ing? It's overkill.
              Just my opinion.
              Hi Scott,

If you go back to the first paragraph of Post #1 of this discussion, you will find the logic for carrying an "extra" spare for the trailer. Failure of one trailer tire is likely to affect the other tire on the same side. Not necessarily so for the tow vehicle. A catastrophic trailer tire loss means that the other tire on the same side was severely overloaded for some length of time . . . travelling with two spares just makes sense to me . . . and, apparently, to a few others.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Nice work...but...
                Just my opinion.
                I've been pulling towables for over 35 years. During that time, I've had about 1/2 dozen trailer tire failures. About half the time when one tire blew, the other tire on the same side went soon after. For example, I hit a rock that had rolled down a mountain side and it caused both trailer tires on the right side to fail at the same time. Since I only had one spare, I had to leave the trailer on the shoulder while I drove 70 miles to get two replacement tires. One time, the cap on one tire came half way off and damaged the adjoining tire enough that it put a big bulge on it. I was fortunate on that one because I could limp along the shoulder for five miles to a tire store.

When you lose a trailer tire, the remaining tire immediately picks up the load for that side. It may cause a significant overload on that tire which will cause a failure later down the highway.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

If I were traveling to Alaska I might consider having two spares for the trailer and the truck. Maybe even dampers, sumo springs or bump stops to protect that Ben Hur trailer suspension.

Alaska would be fabulous.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    catastrophic trailer tire loss means that the other tire on the same side was severely overloaded for some length of time . .
                    Rob
                    For a minute or two or maybe even five minutes, then you stop and change the failed tire.

Don't get me wrong Rob, that is really nice work you did there. And if I was traveling 'off the beaten path' for an extended period of time I'd do the same thing. Plus one for the tow vehicle. Because it's the tow vehicle tire failure that will strand you, not trailer tire failure.
                    But for normal RVing one spare for each is good for me.
                    You do realize, that now you have two spares....you will never need two spares? lol

Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'm planning a trip to Alaska in 2022. I think that qualifies. I think my friend TucsonJim still has hope of getting there, too.
                      Sure does!

Comment

Nicely done!

After the issues I've had with my tires I'll be joining the 2 spare club. Although I'd love to have a slick setup like this I think I'll just end up tossing the spare in the truck before we head out. I need to reduce the weight in the trailer as much as possible since for longer trips we run close to max GVWR
                        Mike & Kristyn
                        '20 Imagine 2800BH
                        '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
                        ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

You do realize, that now you have two spares....you will never need two spares? lol
                          Ain't that the truth! The "law of spare parts" . . . you never need any spare part the you have, just the ones that you don't have .

Rob

Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Wonderful idea and clean setup.

I made sure when I ordered my Momentum that the dealer ordered a 2nd spare for me. It came separate from the camper all wrapped up. I just threw it under the front bed.

2020 GD 320G
                            2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

RoyB Excuse the lapse, by me earlier... Welcome to the Forum! My first thought was the weight on the bed bottom, but I see that it is on the raised portion of the slide. My next thought is will you be able to retrieve it on the shoulder of the roadway?
                              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                              Nash County, NC
                              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                                RoyB Excuse the lapse, by me earlier... Welcome to the Forum! My first thought was the weight on the bed bottom, but I see that it is on the raised portion of the slide. My next thought is will you be able to retrieve it on the shoulder of the roadway?
                                I can get to my bedroom without having to open any slides so I am not concerned. Plus I still have the OEM one under the camper as well which would get used first.
                                2020 GD 320G
                                2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Working...
                                X