Carrying Two Spare Trailer Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying Two Spare Trailer Tires

Having had to change out a trailer tire twice for non-catastrophic pressure loss identified by my TPMS (bad valve stem and nail puncture) I was then left with travelling without a usable spare. Add to this that a catastrophic tire loss means that the other tire on the same side is severely overloaded for some length of time . . . travelling with two spares is a good idea. But where to put the second spare? In the truck? On the back bumper of the trailer? Hmmm?

It seemed to me that the best place for the second spare tire would be under the trailer beside the first spare tire. Originally, I planned to go behind the original spare, but this got into interference with one of the slide drive mechanisms, so I ended up moving the first spare over and placing the new one beside it. This does mean that one spare is accessed from the street side rather than the curb side, but this is workable. This does keep both spares in the low-bounce, reasonably well protected, area just behind the axles.

More details in the attached.

Rob
    Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Remarkable Rob! Cate is never getting another trailer.
    Paul and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Having had to change out a trailer tire twice for non-catastrophic pressure loss identified by my TPMS (bad valve stem and nail puncture) I was then left with travelling without a usable spare. Add to this that a catastrophic tire loss means that the other tire on the same side is severely overloaded for some length of time . . . travelling with two spares is a good idea. But where to put the second spare? In the truck? On the back bumper of the trailer? Hmmm?

It seemed to me that the best place for the second spare tire would be under the trailer beside the first spare tire. Originally, I planned to go behind the original spare, but this got into interference with one of the slide drive mechanisms, so I ended up moving the first spare over and placing the new one beside it. This does mean that one spare is accessed from the street side rather than the curb side, but this is workable. This does keep both spares in the low-bounce, reasonably well protected, area just behind the axles.

More details in the attached.

Rob
      As always, impeccable work and documentation. Thanks for posting!
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have been fortunate to only experience a single flat in 10 years of towing my RV (knock on wood). I have the payload in the truck bed to carry my second spare but dang, this is so awesome, I have yet another project on my list.

Did you reinforce the hole where the screw mechanism goes through the frame? Just wondering on whether a hole in the aft frame compromises the integrity with the bounce our wonderful interstates invoke on the RV. Also any concern on the cross frame for the spares carrying the extra weight?

Lyle
        Barb, Lyle and the two four-legged kids
        2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
        2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by CloseToRetirement View Post
          Did you reinforce the hole where the screw mechanism goes through the frame? Just wondering on whether a hole in the aft frame compromises the integrity with the bounce our wonderful interstates invoke on the RV. Also any concern on the cross frame for the spares carrying the extra weight?

Lyle
          Hi Lyle,

I did not reinforce the new hole through the frame rail. Given that it is in the web of the I beam and aft of the axles, I am not particularly concerned. I did use a hole considerably smaller than the OE hole for this purpose in the other rail that was then “reinforced” down to a smaller size. The net result looks to me to be about the same.

It is my “judgement call” that the original channel that carried one spare at the center of its span can carry two spares each closer to its ends. Keeping the spares close to the trailer axles reduces the amplitude of the “bounce” that would be experienced further back on the trailer.

I will keep an eye on these modifications during our upcoming trip to Florida.

Rob

Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob

Nice job. Any chance you have a pic of the mounting of the lifting mechanism's?
            Might have to add this to my "to do" list , as if it is not long enough already.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              Rob

Any chance you have a pic of the mounting of the lifting mechanism's?

Brian
              Hi Brian,

The lift mechanism is attached by two bolts. You can see the original two mounting holes in the picture on page 3. These holes are on the centreline of crossbeam, but this puts one bolt directly under the drive shaft. That hole is slotted so when I drilled the new mounting holes, I offset that one so it was easier to get at. (I did not take a picture). There is a nut and washer on the top side of the crossbeam . . . these are not just screws holding this all in place .

BTW . . . I figured out why the hole through the frame rail is so much bigger than the drive shaft . . . the shaft extension is welded to the input shaft of the lift mechanism, but is considerably larger diameter and they made no effort to make these two shafts concentric. So the input shaft wobbles all around as it is turned. And, that's just the way they make them .

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Nice write-up Rob, on my list for this winter...
                Jeff & JoAnn Sibley
                Solitude 344GK (2019)
                F350 DRW (2018)

Comment

Rob, was there a part number on the mechanism? This would be a good Alaska upgrade...

Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Rob - outstanding as always ! Thanks, much for sharing the details on this valuable upgrade and improvements.

Dan
                    Dan & Carol
                    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                      Rob, was there a part number on the mechanism? This would be a good Alaska upgrade...
                      Hi Jim,

See page 3 . . . GDRV PN 150008

This is a Lippert component and I see the same one with various length extensions or with a pinned connection point only.
                      The OE one has a welded on 35 1/2" extension which I cut and welded to 18 1/2".
                      https://store.lci1.com/spare-tire-wi...h-off-set.html
                      Depending on how you want to cut/weld/assemble these, one without a welded drive extension might be a better alternative.

BTW, I copied the extension distance through the frame rail to arrive at the 18 1/2" length.
                      In hindsight, 16 1/2" would have been more than sufficient and would have left more room for the power driver the I used to raise/lower the spares.
                      Because of this, I did not bother with another hole through the skirt for the extension handle.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Seems there is a lot of interest in this double spare mod but, as an alternative for those who may not be able to go to this extent, there is another super easy way to accomplish this. I installed this BAL carrier on my last 5th wheel and could carry either 2 spares or a spare and my portable tote.

https://www.amazon.com/BAL-28218-Hid.../dp/B00KPQYV0E
                        Paul and Deb Cervone
                        2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                        2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

I moved my spare from under to out back on a Curt receiver mount tire carrier. I left the original mount in place so could put a second tire there.
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
                            . . . could carry either 2 spares or a spare and my portable tote.
                            Hi Paul,

This does look like a viable alternative, but I would be inclined to install this behind the existing spare and carry only the additional spare (and maybe the tote).
                            None of the BAL pictures show two spare tires and the data sheet says 100 lbs max weight . . . which (except for the smaller Reflections) would likely be less capacity than the weight of two spare tires.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Paul,

This does look like a viable alternative, but I would be inclined to install this behind the existing spare and carry only the additional spare (and maybe the tote).
                              None of the BAL pictures show two spare tires and the data sheet says 100 lbs max weight . . . which (except for the smaller Reflections) would likely be less capacity than the weight of two spare tires.

Rob
                              Yeah, that's probably wise. You may able to tell that mine is installed in front of the front axle on my previous trailer. On this trailer I have too much stuff going on ahead of and behind the axles but I also don't need to carry 2 spares. If I were going to install this on my Reflection I would probably move my fence post cover storage units further up front and install this behind the existing spare as you point out.

Good catch.
                              Paul and Deb Cervone
                              2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                              2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X