Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How tall of a tire can I use on GD 2400BH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How tall of a tire can I use on GD 2400BH?

Hello All, I am considering purchasing a 2021 GD 2400BH for my family and I. We strictly do off grid camping deep in the backcountry and I am always searching for ways to increase ground clearance in any trailers I've ever owned. I assume these 2400BH come equipped with 225/R15 tires that have a overall diameter of 28". Does anyone have any experience running a taller tire of at least 30", preferably 33" tires?
    2021 Imagine 2400BH on order. 2017 RamHD Laramie 3500 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin rolling on 37" Tires, 6" Lift.

Originally posted by RACKMAN View Post
    Hello All, I am considering purchasing a 2021 GD 2400BH for my family and I. We strictly do off grid camping deep in the backcountry and I am always searching for ways to increase ground clearance in any trailers I've ever owned. I assume these 2400BH come equipped with 225/R15 tires that have a overall diameter of 28". Does anyone have any experience running a taller tire of at least 30", preferably 33" tires?
    The clearance from the top of the tire to the overhang floor will give you problems. You will need room for the springs to do there job with out contacting the floor. You may want to look at a unit on a dealer lot to determine what you may gain. There have been some recently that have had tire contact with the floor structure , GD fixed this issue with a heavier axel and springs if I remember correctly.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Given the 3500 lb axles your probably correct on the 15" tires. I am pretty sure you wont be able to fit the sizes you want. You might get a 16" (80 series), but you need to do some measuring. I have a thread on up-sizing my rigs tires (use the search feature).

To get the lift you will probably need to use lifting blocks, or better yet sub frame the suspension to get the lift your looking for.

Hope this helps

BTW - I see this is your 2nd post - welcome to the forum
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
        Given the 3500 lb axles your probably correct on the 15" tires. I am pretty sure you wont be able to fit the sizes you want. You might get a 16" (80 series), but you need to do some measuring. I have a thread on up-sizing my rigs tires (use the search feature).

To get the lift you will probably need to use lifting blocks, or better yet sub frame the suspension to get the lift your looking for.

Hope this helps

BTW - I see this is your 2nd post - welcome to the forum
        Yes...thank you. I was also considering adding 2" lift blocks under the spring pack. That along with at least a 235/75R15 tire should gain me a decent improvement in ground clearance.
        2021 Imagine 2400BH on order. 2017 RamHD Laramie 3500 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin rolling on 37" Tires, 6" Lift.

Comment

Yoda, what did you end up doing as far as a wheel/tire upgrade? I had upgraded to 16" on my previous trailer to be able to use LT tires, as well as gain height at the truck. Now, running the 15" Endurance tires, and setting level in my GD 273MK, I no longer feel the need to use LT tires. Time will tell if the Endurance tires will hold up.
          2020 Reflection 273MK
          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by RACKMAN View Post

Yes...thank you. I was also considering adding 2" lift blocks under the spring pack. That along with at least a 235/75R15 tire should gain me a decent improvement in ground clearance.
            I'm using 1-1/2" blocks under mine and they have worked fine for many years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lift Block.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	42156

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
              Nice...thanks for the pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                Yoda, what did you end up doing as far as a wheel/tire upgrade? I had upgraded to 16" on my previous trailer to be able to use LT tires, as well as gain height at the truck. Now, running the 15" Endurance tires, and setting level in my GD 273MK, I no longer feel the need to use LT tires. Time will tell if the Endurance tires will hold up.
                I am probably getting the Goodyear Endurance in the 235/80/16 size. Waiting until spring. I have the 16" wheels already http://sendelwheel.com/wheels/t13.html
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
                  That looks great. Where did you get the blocks and U bolts?
                  2021 Imagine 2800 BH (just ordered February 2)
                  2007 Ford F-250 King Ranch CCSB Tow Pkg 6.0 Diesel (Bullet Proofed)

Comment

Originally posted by AdirondackCamper View Post

That looks great. Where did you get the blocks and U bolts?
                    Thanks,

I purchased the blocks from TrailerBlocks.com.

I'd recommend staying with the OEM tie plates. Trailer blocks also sells U-bolts, but I found they were prone to bending when I used them. So I'd recommend finding another source for your U-bolts either on-line or from a good suspension shop.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                    X