Suggested spare suspension parts for Alaska trek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested spare suspension parts for Alaska trek

For some of you who have been to Alaska, what are some critical spare parts to bring with you?
    *I have upgraded to MORryde SRE4000, HD weltbolt and shackles, and disk brakes. I also have a second spare which I will be mounting this winter (see Rob Farrow's post on 2nd spare).

Jeff & JoAnn
    Solitude 344GK (2019)
    F350 DRW (2018)
    Jeff & JoAnn Sibley
    Solitude 344GK (2019)
    F350 DRW (2018)

I have not done this trip (yet) but I would suggest the following,
    At least one extra spring pack , and maybe even a wet bolt or two, all tools needed to change these.
    A good bottle jack.
    An extra piece of carpet or something to lay on the ground when working.
    You may also want to take some extra brake line and fittings , having disc brakes if something like a tire blow out happens you may lose a brake line, brake fluid also.
    Others who have done this trip will have more to offer.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

When we go to Alaska next summer, I'm carrying an extra spring set, wet bolts and bushings, and a spare bearing set. Also a second spare tire.

Although not suspension related, I will also have a Garmin inReach Explorer+ in order to have emergency satellite communications if we get stranded.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

To replace a spring you need to be able to support the trailer by its frame and then be able to raise/lower/position the end of the axle. At a minimum, this means a tall axle stand and a heavy bottle jack and blocking to support the frame in front of and behind the axles. Plus another lighter bottle jack preferably with a saddle to nest to the axle tube without damaging it. Two tall axle stands and one bottle jack could work as well. When a spring breaks, the axle typically moves out of place in the fore/aft direction. You will need a come-along to pull this axle end back into position. (ask me how I know all these things )

Retaining partial braking after a severed brake line would be important and relatively easy to do. I carry a 1/4" male plug and a female connector (see attached picture). One or both of these parts could be used to isolate part of the hydraulic brake system. Remember to carry brake fluid and the hose & jar used to bleed the system at the calipers.

BTW, I carry all this stuff just to get through the desolation between Canada and Florida . . . never mind the trip to Alaska!

Rob
        Attached Files
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I would take extra propane line and repair fittings. Its rubber and exposed on my unit with exposed fittings. Years ago when Dad took us in his new Airstream Bambi (70's). He blew 3 tires and had to have the copper gas line replaced - it was flattened. when we got back it went back to the factory to have frame and structure fixed (door frame cracked and several wall ribs) He also covered the front of the trailer with carpet (stick on) for rocks. While this worked well, getting the carpet and glue off was a real pain and guess who got to do it. Might be worth getting good rock/mud flaps for tow vehicle. He also carried spare air, oil, and fuel filters. Ill be watching this as someday I want to go back.

PS you will need the best and strongest bug repellent know to man -
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Sibley View Post
            For some of you who have been to Alaska, what are some critical spare parts to bring with you?
            *I have upgraded to MORryde SRE4000, HD weltbolt and shackles, and disk brakes. I also have a second spare which I will be mounting this winter (see Rob Farrow's post on 2nd spare).

Jeff & JoAnn
            Solitude 344GK (2019)
            F350 DRW (2018)
            We must be an absolute enigma to RV travel and woes.
            We drove to Alaska and back last early summer with only a generator (never used) and two spare cans of diesel for old Six Point Seven (also never used).
            The only spare parts I had were things like water heater element and propane regulator (also never used).
            We made it there via the Cassiar Hwy and Tok , both ends of the Kenai and a trip (without RV) to the Arctic Circle.and departed via the Top of the World Hwy
            and down the Alaska Highway to Jasper Nat'l Park.
            Likewise, according to many, we got exceptional mileage our of t he factory tires (25.6Kmiles) . . .I attribute all to driving conservatively and wisely according to
            conditions.
            We lost our Brand X (27 ft, dual axle, 6800 wet lbs, totaled) during a hail storm in Colorado (June 2019) and now have an Imagine 2250RK. I likely will not carry any more spares with this than before, nor will I change my driving habits. We have north of 45K hitch miles since April 2014 and have "NEVER" been stranded anywhere with un-planned repair needs!
            Last edited by marine6805; 09-20-2019, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marine6805 View Post

We must be an absolute enigma to RV travel and woes.
              We drove to Alaska and back last early summer with only a generator (never used) and two spare cans of diesel for old Six Point Seven (also never used).
              The only spare parts I had were things like water heater element and propane regulator (also never used).
              We made it there via the Cassiar Hwy and Tok , both ends of the Kenai and a trip (without RV) to the Arctic Circle.and departed via the Top of the World Hwy
              and down the Alaska Highway to Jasper Nat'l Park.
              Likewise, according to many, we got exceptional mileage our of t he factory tires (25.6Kmiles) . . .I attribute all to driving conservatively and wisely according to
              conditions.
              We lost our Brand X (27 ft, dual axle, 6800 wet lbs, totaled) during a hail storm in Colorado (June 2019) and now have an Imagine 2250RK. I likely will not carry any more spares with this than before, nor will I change my driving habits. We have north of 45K hitch miles since April 2014 and have "NEVER" been stranded anywhere with un-planned repair needs!
              I also recommend the Cassiar Hwy - one of the better and more scenic roads on the trip https://themilepost.com/wp-content/u...iarhwy_map.pdf
              I carried an extra spare (needed one) and a bunch of plumbing parts (not needed), several jacks, and carpet roll to lay on (needed) and a tools (needed). I did not carry springs, but a full set of bearings and seals (not needed) I also had an assortment of screws (needed for cabinet repair). Also if you will be in Canada for any long period of time, get a Canadian prepaid cell phone sim card and plan - best $45 I spent on the trip.

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                When we go to Alaska next summer, I'm carrying an extra spring set, wet bolts and bushings, and a spare bearing set. Also a second spare tire.

Although not suspension related, I will also have a Garmin inReach Explorer+ in order to have emergency satellite communications if we get stranded.

Jim
                Wow - I realize it's been a few years since Covid delayed our trip to Alaska. So this is the year. Things have changed a little. For emergency communications, we now plan on having Startlink for RVs so we can make a phone call if needed.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

We completed our trip from Texas to Alaska then on to Boston and then back to Texas -- 15,000 miles. We did not take a second spare. When we did have a blow out, I replaced the tire and then headed to a service center to purchase a replacement tire. I did carry an air inflater as essential addition. I did not carry back up suspension parts. We did have BOTH Lippert front levelers fail -- one was a mechanical failure in Arizona and a few months later, the other one failed (electric motor) in Minnesota. Lippert would not cover replacement. When these failures happened, we had to order parts and have them shipped ahead to an RV service center who would take care of us (one in Salt Lake and the other in Duluth, MN). Great service in both cases. We ended up replacing all four tires on the rig during this trip as well as all four stock tires on the tow vehicle. As a part of loosing our Lippert leveler in Arizona (we could not level the unit), our LP refrigerator blew -- yellow residue everywhere. The cost to replace would have been about $4500 so we limped into northern Utah and contacted a mobile tech to help pull the LP refrigerator and replace it with an apartment size AC refrigerator/freezer. Unique to this replacement unit is that it draws only 1.5 amps AC. Arriving back to Texas we noted excessive wear on just one rear tire. It was a Dexter axle failure. Dexter shipped a free axle replacement but not under warranty. Finally, after Alaska, we noticed our pantry shelves were taking a beating with structural supports splitting. We beefed up the structural support with new braces so that the pantry can be freely used to carry canned goods, bottles, etc.
                  Mark & Julie
                  2021 GD 303RLS; GooseBox Hitch; towed by Ram 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Wow - I realize it's been a few years since Covid delayed our trip to Alaska. So this is the year. Things have changed a little. For emergency communications, we now plan on having Startlink for RVs so we can make a phone call if needed.

Jim
                    Jim carry a second spare. If the stock one is under, get a receiver mount like I did. It will give you peace of mind.And you can get a cool spare tire cover made Now if you concerned about hangers, get the x-factor bracing or have them reinforced before the trip. Go slow and watch out for the hazard flags on the edges of the roads (Canada). Remember pack heavy items low and even keep condiments/breakables out of the upper cabinets. Things will get bounced around at times and upper cabinet doors will open. You will love the trip.

Also for Canada, pick up a prepaid sim card plan with data and US calling. Got ours at Walmart. We got one for a month at 25$.US. Plan was called Lucky. Was a whole lot better than our roaming plans that did not work. Also double check which of your credit cards charge a conversion fee. BOA does, Capitol One does not like Discover, but Discover is not honored much in Canada, especially gas stations.. Also let them know you traveling out of country so they wont tag charges as a fraud. BOA messed us up big time even though I called. In fact call twice - a few weeks before and just before crossing the border to be sure its noted.
                    Keith

PS Carry extra DEF as it can be tough to find in some areas. Canadian Tire does stock it, Walmart did not in Canada - at least the ones I stopped at. I never found a fuel stop with DEF at the pump either.

Comment

Man, after reading this I have no plans for Alaska. Plenty of other places to see without beating up our coach.
                      Rich

Comment

Originally posted by RV2600RB View Post
                        Man, after reading this I have no plans for Alaska. Plenty of other places to see without beating up our coach.
                        Rich
                        RV it a bucket list trip if you go slow. It had beauty like nothing here. If you go informed it's a trip of a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

And you can get a cool spare tire cover made
                          If your spare tire cover has a little pointy eared green guy on it...that would be cool!

I'll know who is in front of me if I ever catch up to you....

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

BTW, I carry all this stuff just to get through the desolation between Canada and Florida . . . never mind the trip to Alaska!

Rob
                            I realize this has been resurrected from four years ago..but..what Rob says
                            If going on any trip for 1000's of kilometres (Canadian, eh?) I bring all the same stuff. What is so special about a tool and spares list for Alaska? We went west from Thunder Bay to Vancouver, then north to the Yukon, then east through the Northwest Territory, then back a number of years ago. Some deserted areas for sure..just like...Hwy 11 in Ontario between Nipigon and Timmins..lol
                            Last year we went to Quartzsite, AZ. Carried more or less the same pickle box contents. Rob's plumbing posts kinda scared me so I did carry more plumbing bits.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

RV it a bucket list trip if you go slow. It had beauty like nothing here. If you go informed it's a trip of a lifetime.
                              No thanks. I’d rather check out the smoky mountains and stuff like that.
                              Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X