Lippert vs MorRyde disk brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lippert vs MorRyde disk brakes

I want to change to disk brakes. Does anyone have any experience with changing to disk brakes and deciding on either MorRyde or Lippert. I am going to a Grand Design Rally in Michigan and I can get either one done there. If I did the MorRyde upgrade it is done by Performance Trailer Braking and I would also get one X Factor brace. If I go with Lippert I would get a free Road Armour upgrade but I already have the CRE3000 on the trailer. What do you guys think. It seams pricing is about the same but I don't have that finalized yet.
    John & Beata, Waterford, WI
    2021 Reflection 337 RLS
    2017 Ford F350 Lariat, Diesel, Crew Cab, Demco 21K Recon 5th Wheel Hitch
    1200 watts solar, Multiplus II, 4 BB batteries, Orion DC/DC charger

MORryde doesn't make the disc brakes. Both of our MORryde IS installations have been done with Kodiak rotor and caliper components. I'm a bit confused, though, are you talking about a MORryde suspension upgrade?

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I had Lippert install my disk brakes at the national rally about 3 years ago. It was an upgrade as I had accidentally pulled my emergency cable while on road there and fried my stock brakes. Lippert offered to replace with same for free while at the rally or upgrade to Kodiak disc brakes for $2000 installed. I went for the disc brakes through them. Lippert does not make the disc brakes. They did a very good install that, and to this day has worked flawlessly.

I have heard very good things from the folks at performance braking and would not hesitate to have them upgrade my trailer suspension either.
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
      Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
        MORryde doesn't make the disc brakes. Both of our MORryde IS installations have been done with Kodiak rotor and caliper components. I'm a bit confused, though, are you talking about a MORryde suspension upgrade?

Rob
        No, I'm not talking about MorRyde independent suspension. I did some more digging. It appears the post I was reading spoke of MorRyde X Factor and I just assumed the brakes were MorRyde. As it turns out there is a company, Performance Trailer Braking, who are doing electric to hydraulic disk brake conversions and installing the MorRyde X Factor too. I am not sure who the actual disk brake manufacturer is. Here is a link to Performance Trailer Braking. https://performancetrailerbraking.com/disc-brakes it looks like this company goes to a lot of Rally's around the country.
        John & Beata, Waterford, WI
        2021 Reflection 337 RLS
        2017 Ford F350 Lariat, Diesel, Crew Cab, Demco 21K Recon 5th Wheel Hitch
        1200 watts solar, Multiplus II, 4 BB batteries, Orion DC/DC charger

Comment

Originally posted by John L View Post

No, I'm not talking about MorRyde independent suspension. I did some more digging. It appears the post I was reading spoke of MorRyde X Factor and I just assumed the brakes were MorRyde. As it turns out there is a company, Performance Trailer Braking, who are doing electric to hydraulic disk brake conversions and installing the MorRyde X Factor too. I am not sure who the actual disk brake manufacturer is. Here is a link to Performance Trailer Braking. https://performancetrailerbraking.com/disc-brakes it looks like this company goes to a lot of Rally's around the country.
          MORryde has suspension upgrades other than independent suspension - I wasn't referring to IS. X-Factor is cross-bracing for the spring hangers. On the Performance Trailer Braking web site, it says their brakes are Dexter/Titan Hydraulic Disc Brake Conversion Kits. Lot's of folks have used Performance and have been very happy with them.

Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Depending on price and if your frame incorporates Lippert hangers, I would look to Lippert since they may be able to weld in V-Clips on the rear hangers of the rear axles. Lippert hangers are rectangular shaped with the Lippert trademark stamped on the face of the hanger. Dexter hangers are trapezoidal and would need no additional support.
            Once you increase braking performance, the rear hangers on the rear axle will have to endure additional stress where the Lippert approved V-Clips would provide the necessary support. This is what I would do where others may take a different path.

Jim

Comment

A couple of years ago, Dexter acquired Kodiak https://www.dexteraxle.com/about-dex...inc.-(-kodiak-) . . . the manufacturer of the components used in most towable RV EOH (electric over hydraulic) braking systems. If you are interested in doing your own installation or having the installation done by a shop that you have experience with, a good source for the components and any advice that you might need is Stop Your Trailer https://stopyourtrailer.com Several on this forum have purchased from this source and are pleased with the technical support provided.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

If you go to an older post on my suspension upgrades at Lippert, you will see what the installation of V Clips and welded 2 x 2 spanning hangers look like. It starts on post #10.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...rfail-bushings

The team at the Lippert Goshen plant are the same guys that do the rally work. I have been going there annually for maintenance because the prices are good, work is done in a timely manner and they are the ones that built the frame and other components such as slides, etc. I get that also serviced there if needed. Not many people know this is a service they offer the public and that there is actually a service center available.

1701 Century Dr. Goshen, IN 46528
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  A couple of years ago, Dexter acquired Kodiak https://www.dexteraxle.com/about-dex...inc.-(-kodiak-) . . . the manufacturer of the components used in most towable RV EOH (electric over hydraulic) braking systems. If you are interested in doing your own installation or having the installation done by a shop that you have experience with, a good source for the components and any advice that you might need is Stop Your Trailer https://stopyourtrailer.com Several on this forum have purchased from this source and are pleased with the technical support provided.

Rob
                  Thanks, Rob - I didn't know that. I guess LCI is out for a monopoly in the RV components industry.

(Another) Rob
                  Rob & Laura
                  U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                  Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
                  X