Repack bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repack bearings

To repack bearing do I squirt grease from outside or take wheel off?

Originally posted by Mickyt View Post
    You should remove the wheel and also remove the hub from the axel spindle. Clean all of the grease from inside the hub and also the bearings. Inspect the inner and outer races as well as the bearing rollers. Repack the bearings by hand or with a bearing packer and then reinstall the bearings and new seals and then reinstall the hub to the axel spindle and set the bearing play to the proper specifications from the axel manufacture. The grease zerk on the end of the spindle should not really be used to add grease or to force new grease in and the old grease out. The pressure of doing this may cause the grease to get past the rear seal and then onto the brake assembly.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Always replace the inner seals when you remove the hub even if you do not pull the bearing out. I think the Dexter seals are under $15 for a pair.

If you use the zero fitting to add grease to the hubs, you must jack up the axle and while rotating the tire hand pump grease. As stated if you are not careful grease can bypass the inner seal and contaminate the internals of the hub (aka braking system) with grease.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Make sure you inspect the brakes while you do this.

Lippert has a decent video on this:
        https://youtu.be/CWzoYdHUDOM?t=54
        Mike
        2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

I have regreased several trailers using the grease zerk fitting. If done properly using a hand pump grease gun, and spinning the tires this method works without pushing grease past the the seal. If the seals can't take some hand pumped grease then you have a problem with your seals. The tires roll down the road heating and cooling the hubs, bearings, and seals without leaking grease. If you don't see grease filing the chamber then there is an issue with the seal. At least you found out instead of never checking.

With that being said....; I pull my drums, check my bearings, clean and hand grease the bearings, I don't always replace my seals, but you should, inspect brakes and spindle them after putting the hub back on I spin and fill using the zerk. Don't go cheap on lubricating. I do this about every third or fourth time after greasing them using the zerk. We are full time travelers and I pay attention to the hubs and suspension, they get the thermal gun temp reading daily on travel days so I stay ahead of any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickyt View Post
            I agree with Brian, Country Campers, 100%, I watched my local RVIA certified mobile tech do mine and learned a lot. My tech says that the OEM zerk fittings on the wheel bearings are all but useless and often can cause more problems than they solve.
            Dave and Sue
            2020 GD 2250RK
            2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
            GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
            SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

I agree with Brian, Country Campers, 100%, I watched my local RVIA certified mobile tech do mine and learned a lot. My tech says that the OEM zerk fittings on the wheel bearings are all but useless and often can cause more problems than they solve.
              Definitely agree. You want to pull them and check the bearing’s and spindle for wear anyway. Plus to use the zerk right you still need to jack it up anyway to spin the wheel, so you’re halfway there anyway.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

As I don't feel I can do this work I have some Questions;

How do you choose a qualified shop or individual to do this work? Are there certain questions I should be asking? What certifications would I want the person to have that is doing the work? The trailer place I used for wheel bearing and other work in the past is out of business. They made custom Agg trailers for folks.

Is this something that a mobile teck can do in the drive? I would be concerned with dust, etc getting in while doing the work.

Thanks for any thoughts
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

How do you choose a qualified shop or individual to do this work? Are there certain questions I should be asking? What certifications would I want the person to have that is doing the work? The trailer place I used for wheel bearing and other work in the past is out of business. They made custom Agg trailers for folks.

Is this something that a mobile teck can do in the drive? I would be concerned with dust, etc getting in while doing the work.

Thanks for any thoughts
                  Is there another dedicated trailer shop in your area? Like you, I have used one in the Augusta, GA, area that builds and maintains utility trailers of all kinds. I tend to trust them more than the average dealership for bearing service.

I used to repack wheel bearings on the driveway all the time - but I had a garage with stuff to wash and repack without doing it outside or on dirt. The last time I had the bearings repacked on our previous Reflection, I used a mobile tech I had used before in Las Cruces, NM. I trust him and he takes the hubs to his house where he has a parts washer, a bearing packer, and a stock of seals and bearings. He took the hubs two at a time (one side of the trailer at a time) and it took about six hours total. I've also seen others having bearing service done by mobile techs in campgrounds or RV parks - even in Goshen, IN!

I have used this tool to find techs with good success on several occasions in different places: http://rvservicereviews.com/

Rob
                  Rob & Laura
                  U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                  2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                  2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                  (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                  Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Thanks for any thoughts
                    This is certainly a service procedure that can be done in the driveway by a mobile tech . . . which is where most of us who do our own, do this. The most complex parts of the project are safely supporting the trailer while the work is being done and completely cleaning everything for inspection before reassembly. The brakes will be covered in brake shoe dust (if they are working properly) so dust is usually not a problem for the normal service process.

How to select a qualified technician is the same question for any kind of service work. References from others who have had this work done (good/bad experience) is usually the way to go.

If the RV trailer manufacturers would rename the required service as "annual inspection of brakes and bearings" (which would require cleaning plus new seal & grease) they could get away from the whole zerk fitting confusion. I asked LCI why they even put the zerk fitting system on RV axles and their reply was that this is a common spindle with boat trailer axles which usually don't have electric drum brakes and do get submerged in water. The intent of the zerk is to expel water drawn in by thermal contraction of hot spindles immersed in cold water.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

Is there another dedicated trailer shop in your area? Like you, I have used one in the Augusta, GA, area that builds and maintains utility trailers of all kinds. I tend to trust them more than the average dealership for bearing service.

I used to repack wheel bearings on the driveway all the time - but I had a garage with stuff to wash and repack without doing it outside or on dirt. The last time I had the bearings repacked on our previous Reflection, I used a mobile tech I had used before in Las Cruces, NM. I trust him and he takes the hubs to his house where he has a parts washer, a bearing packer, and a stock of seals and bearings. He took the hubs two at a time (one side of the trailer at a time) and it took about six hours total. I've also seen others having bearing service done by mobile techs in campgrounds or RV parks - even in Goshen, IN!

I have used this tool to find techs with good success on several occasions in different places: http://rvservicereviews.com/

Rob
                      Cate&Rob

Thanks both Robs. Ill do some research on the mobile folks here. Several of the local camp grounds have lists posted on their web sites for recommended folks, so I need to find them again. Also found some other truck/trailer places locally that say they work on RV. Just need to check them out.

Thanks again
                      Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith, with the other work you are doing IMHO you are way past being qualified to do this. I grew up in a Ford dealership and private garage and was doing this before I was a teenager.
                        Or better yet I'll trade you some work... You install my solar and I'll repack your bearings.
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Not to hijack, but while we're talking about bearing replacement...

I'm about to pack mine for the first time. I have my grease, I have the seals, brake cleaner, packing tool, a boatload of rags, but what I don't have is Cotter pins.

So a total dumb question. Do I need any special Cotter pins or will any do as long as they are the proper size? I hate to pay a fortune for the ones from Dexter, Etrailer, etc that are the "official" ones. I know it sounds stupid but want to save where I can.

Terry
                          Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
                          2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
                          2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

trkester Not all of the new axles use cotter pins. I have 3 trailers and only one uses cotter pins. The other 2 use a clip over the nut retainer.

Yes you can use standard cotter pins, stay away from bent nails.

Not yer specific axle (look up the parts for yours) but note the funny looking gold thing is the nut retainer, no cotter pin. https://www.dexteraxle.com/product/2357/93/retainer-kit
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                              trkester Not all of the new axles use cotter pins. I have 3 trailers and only one uses cotter pins. The other 2 use a clip over the nut retainer.

Yes you can use standard cotter pins, stay away from bent nails.

Not yer specific axle (look up the parts for yours) but note the funny looking gold thing is the nut retainer, no cotter pin. https://www.dexteraxle.com/product/2357/93/retainer-kit
                              Thanks. I am assuming mine uses pins cause I did order the "complete" kit to have as a spare and it included a pin. As long as I can use standard (non nail 😁) pins, I'll go ahead and pull a wheel and give it a whirl. Didn't want to start without everything needed. Thank you
                              Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
                              2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
                              2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X