Correct tire pressure/TPMS settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct tire pressure/TPMS settings

My 2021 Reflection 268BH came with Goodyear Endurance ST 225/75/R15 E tires. Max cold pressure is 80 psi. Since the unit has a GVWR of 9995 lbs., would I be correct in thinking I should inflate the tires to 65 psi? (2540 load pounds per tire x 4 tires = 10160 load pounds). It came from the dealer with 80 psi in each tire, but from what I gather from the charts, that's too much. Thoughts?

Regarding the TPMS......what should I set as minimum and maximum pressures to trigger the alert? Somebody told me that generally (for car/truck tires) they allow 20% psi increase for heating, but I don't know if that's true or if it applies to trailer tires. Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Russ
    Russ & Lorna
    Hazel Park, Michigan
    2021 Reflection 268BH
    2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD SLE SRW 6.0 gasser

Hi Russ,

I see that this is your first post. Welcome to our owners technical forum.
    Please see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members when you get a chance.

On the left front of your trailer there will be a tire pressure label that specifies the cold set pressure. Dividing trailer weight by 4 assumes even weight distribution across all four tires (which is seldom the case) and if you following this thought process, you should also consider the pin weight carried by the truck. Best to stay with what's on the label.

20% pressure increase sounds about right for TPMS alert high pressure.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info. It seems as though the sticker on the trailer is at odds with what Goodyear says (unless I'm misunderstanding). I'll get to the bottom of it sooner ir later! 🙂
      Russ & Lorna
      Hazel Park, Michigan
      2021 Reflection 268BH

Comment

The sticker is not at odds with Goodyear. 80psi is where the tires will carry up to their max rating. If you weigh each tire and know what each tire is loaded to, drop the inflation to match the inflation charts if you wish.
        Otherwise, keep them at 80psi.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

This is true where the GDRV manual even makes mention about using inflation tables. But one needs to be really certain about the individual mass at each wheel and at each trip with varying loading. Rob had performed an extensive analysis in finding the optimum spring rates from side to side of his Reflection and what pressure should also be utilized.
          Personally I would run the pressure on the yellow tag on the rig as Rob has stated, OR if one were to install tires of the next highest rating, use the tables or still use the pressure listed on the yellow tag on the rig.
          For instance, I replaced my factory D rated tires on my older Imagine with E rated Goodyear Endurance and am running from 60-65 psi and would never consider 80 psi since the rig would be subjected to undue abuse.

Jim

Comment

My Uncle tried the inflation chart. He replaced 4 tires on a trip due to blow outs. I told him "Stick the pressure on the sticker." He hasn't had an issue since.
            Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
            2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
            2020 Momentum 351M
            2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
              My Uncle tried the inflation chart. He replaced 4 tires on a trip due to blow outs. I told him "Stick the pressure on the sticker." He hasn't had an issue since.
              Curtis - this is quite intriguing and most unusual to say the least. What more can you share about this ? Having tires inflated to carry the load is not an improper process. Many of us do this particularly necessary when higher load carrying capacity tires replace lighter load capacity tires.

Proper tire inflation charts have been around longer than Jim Hinkle.....well maybe not !

Dan
              Dan & Carol
              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

The problem is the varying changes that come with an RV; loads shifting, weight going up and down due to fresh water levels, waste tanks levels, loading your refrigerator, taking food out, take drinking water out, you get the idea.

When you start getting in to warmer to hotter climates, that has even more of an affect on the situation.

For example, let's say you set your PSI to weight X prior to your departure. Well on your trip you added water, so now you become underinflated, which creates tire heat. Now it's warmer than you thought. Let's say you planned for 75 but it's 90. So not only is your tire running hot because it's underinflated, but now the ambient temperature is just hotter.

Why make changes to the continuing changes? Take the guess work out of the equation. Inflate to what the sticker says. Certainly you can run higher over what the weight chart recommendation to minimize the problem. But what's the main goal? Tread wear? Are we really gonna run that much tread off the tire vs. the expiration date of the tire?

And let's be honest, has ANYTHING been around longer than Jim?
                2020 Momentum 351M
                2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

OffToHavasu Curtis,
                  I agree with running the original tires at the pressures posted on the yellow tag for the reasons you listed unless folks are very consistent in how this is done. Typically each wheel must be weighed and pressure calculated +10% for a buffer.
                  But as Dan stated, some of us have moved up in load rating. An easy way to factor this in is to still use the pressure listed on the yellow tag as what the original tires called for but to have the advantage of a heavier built tire that is capable in additional load carrying ability at the same pressure. Folks that install a higher load rated tire and inflate to the max sidewall pressure are just beating their investment to death.

I've heard Jim is really old. Wood spoke'd wheels and solid rubber tires come to mind.

Jim

Comment

There's another factor you need to take in to consideration with going by what's on the sidewall...What pressure is the rim rated for?
                    2020 Momentum 351M
                    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                      OffToHavasu

I've heard Jim is really old. Wood spoke'd wheels and solid rubber tires come to mind.

Jim
                      Now THAT is really funny right there ! Jim knows we all like him and appreciate him to the max !

Dan
                      Dan & Carol

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
                        The problem is the varying changes that come with an RV; loads shifting, weight going up and down due to fresh water levels, waste tanks levels, loading your refrigerator, taking food out, take drinking water out, you get the idea.

When you start getting in to warmer to hotter climates, that has even more of an affect on the situation.

For example, let's say you set your PSI to weight X prior to your departure. Well on your trip you added water, so now you become underinflated, which creates tire heat. Now it's warmer than you thought. Let's say you planned for 75 but it's 90. So not only is your tire running hot because it's underinflated, but now the ambient temperature is just hotter.

Why make changes to the continuing changes? Take the guess work out of the equation. Inflate to what the sticker says. Certainly you can run higher over what the weight chart recommendation to minimize the problem. But what's the main goal? Tread wear? Are we really gonna run that much tread off the tire vs. the expiration date of the tire?

And let's be honest, has ANYTHING been around longer than Jim?
                        Thanks, Curtis. The majority of we folks who understand loading and rating capacities are using the loaded RV weight accounting for liquids/etc. factoring this for the total RV weight.

As an example, our 303 came from the factory with "D" rated 15 tires with a max load of 2540 lbs. inflating to 65 psi. With a max GVWR of the RV of 12K there is no way we would ever run less than the yellow sticker of the RV stated to do for tire pressure of 65psi with 2540 lbs load rating even factoring in that 2500 lbs. or so of the 12K RV GVWR would be on the pin. This is due to the weight imbalance of many of these rear living floor plans being upwards of 1000 heavier on the street side thus maxing out the load rating of our "D" rated tires.

Now with 16' "E" rated tires with a max load of 3520 @ 80 psi, we can easily and safely run at much less than the 80 psi. In fact with our normal RV load we could run at 75% of the 80 psi rating at 60 lbs. but we chose to run at 65 psi to account for the nearly potential max GVWR of the RV just in case we may reach that along with the much heavier street side previously mentioned.

Now all this said, I can understand how some folks may not wish to deal with this and/or may not be aware of their RV weights on each tire under different RV load conditions. Your feedback on this makes sense for many of these folks/situations.

However, understanding all this and then properly inflating tires is important to proper tire wear, impacts on the RV construction, RV suspension, safety, etc.

Dan
                        Dan & Carol

Comment

Thanks to all for the helpful info. I guess I should have stated my question differently. My trailer's GVWR is 9995 lbs. If I run my tires at 80 psi (as stated on the yellow tag), each tire has a load capacity of 2830 lbs. Multiplied by 4 equals 11,320 lbs., significantly higher than the GVWR. Would this not cause an unduly harsh ride and unnecessary tire wear? If I ran them at 65 psi (4x2540=10,160) it would be much closer (though still over) to my GVWR. That being said..... I understand lower pressure can mean more heat, so there is that to consider.

When all is said and done.....if in doubt, go with the yellow tag, I know. Maybe I'm overthinking it. But it's a big investment, so I just want to do what will help it give its best and longest service.

Thanks again.

Russ
                          Russ & Lorna
                          Hazel Park, Michigan
                          2021 Reflection 268BH

Comment

Originally posted by Russholio View Post
                            My 2021 Reflection 268BH came with Goodyear Endurance ST 225/75/R15 E tires. Max cold pressure is 80 psi. Since the unit has a GVWR of 9995 lbs., would I be correct in thinking I should inflate the tires to 65 psi? (2540 load pounds per tire x 4 tires = 10160 load pounds). It came from the dealer with 80 psi in each tire, but from what I gather from the charts, that's too much. Thoughts?

Regarding the TPMS......what should I set as minimum and maximum pressures to trigger the alert? Somebody told me that generally (for car/truck tires) they allow 20% psi increase for heating, but I don't know if that's true or if it applies to trailer tires. Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Russ
                            My rig sticker says 65psi cold, the tires say the same. I always fill mine to 65psi cold. I use 15% for the high or low limits on my TPMS settings. Works for me.
                            Dave and Sue
                            2020 GD 2250RK
                            2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                            GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                            SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by Russholio View Post
                              Thanks to all for the helpful info. I guess I should have stated my question differently. My trailer's GVWR is 9995 lbs. If I run my tires at 80 psi (as stated on the yellow tag), each tire has a load capacity of 2830 lbs. Multiplied by 4 equals 11,320 lbs., significantly higher than the GVWR. Would this not cause an unduly harsh ride and unnecessary tire wear? If I ran them at 65 psi (4x2540=10,160) it would be much closer (though still over) to my GVWR. That being said..... I understand lower pressure can mean more heat, so there is that to consider.

When all is said and done.....if in doubt, go with the yellow tag, I know. Maybe I'm overthinking it. But it's a big investment, so I just want to do what will help it give its best and longest service.

Thanks again.

Russ
                              Russ - I think the missing item may be what tires or side of your RV will be carrying the most load at a possible maximum loaded situation for you all ? With this knowledge, you will be armed to help with your decision to balance all the key factors and be safe for you all and those others on the road.

I do not recall anyone sharing loaded weights of a 268BH (for pin and axles) so you could be the first. As you shared, it would seem that you have some margin to run less than 80 psi for all the reasons we all have shared. Again, knowing the weights will be valuable to make an educated and safe decision.

Dan
                              Dan & Carol

Comment

Working...
                              X