Tire pressure question new B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire pressure question new B

I just took delivery of our 2021 303rls, the tires are the Goodyear Endurance ST235/80R16 and pressures are at 80psi, question is the 80psi at full load? I cant ever see putting 2000 lbs in this unit maybe at most 1000 lbs, with that in mind would I be safe to set them down to 70 or 75 psi? Sorry for a redundant question I'm sure its on here somewhere
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
    I just took delivery of our 2021 303rls, the tires are the Goodyear Endurance ST235/80R16 and pressures are at 80psi, question is the 80psi at full load? I cant ever see putting 2000 lbs in this unit maybe at most 1000 lbs, with that in mind would I be safe to set them down to 70 or 75 psi? Sorry for a redundant question I'm sure its on here somewhere
    A concern with the 303 specifically, is the side-to-side weight difference. The left side with all the appliances and all the storage space will run 800 to 1000 lbs heavier than the right side. You are correct that a 303 (with empty tanks) is pretty "full" with 1000 lbs of stuff. But . . . the tires on the heavy left side are within 500 lbs of their load carrying capacity at 80 psi. You could theoretically run lower pressures on the right than on the left, but all trailer tire manufacturers recommend that all tires should be at the same pressure, set for the highest load location. With many thousands of miles on our 303 with tires at 80 psi, there are no signs of "over inflation" tire wear on either side. I do rotate the tires in an X pattern at every bearing repack.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob thank you for the information along with real data I will leave them at 80psi I would never run tires at different pressures on a trailer I think your just looking for trouble.
      Question how many miles do you run before packing the bearings? Also when you do a X pattern do you take like the left front and put on the right rear? Thanks again Dennis
      2021 Reflection 303RLS
      Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Rob thank you for the information along with real data I will leave them at 80psi I would never run tires at different pressures on a trailer I think your just looking for trouble.
        Question how many miles do you run before packing the bearings? Also when you do a X pattern do you take like the left front and put on the right rear? Thanks again Dennis
        Hi Dennis,

I clean, inspect and repack (by hand) the wheel bearings once a year (which, for me, is about every 5,000 towing miles). This would also be a brake inspection . . . except that I now have disc brakes that can be inspected at any time, so all I am doing is lubricating the slide pins when I remove the caliper to remove the disc & hub.

The X pattern rotation was recommended by LionsHead who were the supplier of the Westlake tires that were original to my 303. I am now running Maxxis tires and following the same rotation pattern. Left front to right rear, right rear to left front and the same diagonal for the other two.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Rob, another quickie I set my tire monitor to 70psi and 95psi does that seem reasonable?
          2021 Reflection 303RLS
          Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Thanks Rob, another quickie I set my tire monitor to 70psi and 95psi does that seem reasonable?
            I would think that 70 psi is a little low. There should be no reason to start a trip at that low a pressure and it is only going to go up from there.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

I would think that 70 psi is a little low. There should be no reason to start a trip at that low a pressure and it is only going to go up from there.

Rob
              I think Dennis66 meant the alarm settings, not an actual tire pressure. Once set the alarm trigger values shouldn't change...
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I think Dennis66 meant the alarm settings, not an actual tire pressure. Once set the alarm trigger values shouldn't change...
                Understood . . . but unless there is a lot of variation in the accuracy of the TPMS sensors, I would want to know well before 70 psi that a tire was deflating. There should be no way for a tire to go that far below its 80 psi morning cold set point even with ambient temperature or elevation changes during the day's drive.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                X