Roadmaster shock install 2021 Solitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadmaster shock install 2021 Solitude

Being a rear kitchen floorplan, we decided to install shocks on our 390RK-R to settle down the contents of cupboards and frig while travelling. They definitely did the trick; even the microwave tray stays put. There is a backlit cupboard with frosted glass at the very rear of the unit above the sink, which we filled with colored drinking glasses. Before the shocks these would be scattered and tumbled about the cabinet; now they stay in place. Amazing. Had our shop do the work; about a 6 hour job with no surprises. We were going to install an X Factor brace at the center hanger, but it is not possible (see separate thread).

Note: the shocks do not have a weight rating. This is kit #2470 for an 8K axle with a 3.5 inch axle tube. The tie plate on top of the leaf spring gets replaced, and different weight axles have different u-bolt diameters and spacing. There are also kits for 7K and 6K axles.

While we looked into the morryde IS, I felt there was too much of a weight penalty (was quoted 150 pounds per wheel by Brian at Morryde) vs our cargo capacity.
    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

I am glad to hear that the shocks made a difference. I have heard plenty ask if they are worth it but not many have tried them. Thanks for the report.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

DarnDave Dave,

Nice to get the feedback on the shocks. I want them also but the upper bracket would need to be welded in. I see you have V clips and with those the X Factor bracket cannot be bolted in.

Jim

Comment

Glad they made a difference for you! Very happy with mine. (JoyRider)
        Jim (& Sharon)
        2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
        2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
        The toys:
        2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
        2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

I'm back to where I want these on my Imagine. Will have them installed. I cannot feel comfortable with only the self tapping bolts on the thin 2x2 square stock on the Imagine so I would like the brackets welded diagonally along with the bolts. For the larger rigs, I'm certain the thickness would be there in a sub frame or in the frame material. Not crazy about drilling into the frame flange but I have not heard of a frame failure on any rig.

For the Imagine shock install. And another that I feel all rigs should move to. Slipper springs. Water test is not too scientific but if done properly would be a reasonable comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QABfljslY1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23t9pSBY73o

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2021, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Hi Jim,

I will be very interested to learn your before-and-after comparison on this project. As you know . . . I have reservations about both the effectiveness of the shocks and the slipper spring geometry.

In the E-Trailer video, the before & after comparison is interesting, but the "before" has a rigid equalizer and the "after" has a cushioned equalizer. I wonder how much of the improvement is due th the equalizer and how much is due to the shocks?

In the "retrofit" slipper spring installation, the rear spring runs backwards to the normal trailing configuration of slipper springs. I wonder how accurate the positioning of the rear axle is going to be after a few thousand miles? Without sharing the load through an equalizer, each spring is going to carry more load crossing a bump. Should each spring be stronger in this configuration? . . . but, this would mean a rougher ride for the trailer.

Rob
            Last edited by Cate&Rob; 06-08-2021, 07:48 AM.
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              Hi Jim,

I will be very interested to learn your before-and-after comparison on this project. As you know . . . I have reservations about both the effectiveness of the shocks and the the slipper spring geometry.

In the E-Trailer video, the before & after comparison is interesting, but the "before" has a rigid equalizer and the "after" has a cushioned equalizer. I wonder how much of the improvement is due th the equalizer and how much is due to the shocks?

In the "retrofit" slipper spring installation, the rear spring runs backwards to the normal trailing configuration of slipper springs. I wonder how accurate the positioning of the rear axle is going to be after a few thousand miles? Without sharing the load through an equalizer, each spring is going to carry more load crossing a bump. Should each spring be stronger in this configuration? . . . but, this would mean a rougher ride for the trailer.

Rob
              Rob,

I'm in agreement with you on the lack of an optimum damper choice but feel something most likely would be better than nothing. The cushioned equalizer may help some where my rig already has the MORyde CRE3000 units and I still have seen undamped motion with the video I took under my Imagine. Slipper springs would function much like an semi-independent suspension system but at a much lower cost. The advantage of the slipper is no axle rise on braking as our equalizer systems do to add loading to the rear axle, tires and springs......and those failing rear hangers. The slipper springs use the front and rear most hangers as the anchor point where with the current design on heavy braking, only the rear most hangers are taking the force. As far as trailing the rear axle still uses the rear most hanger as the anchor point so that axle currently trails in the opposite direction as the front axle. I believe the slipper spring system would be easier overall on suspension components. Think jeep front axle which is configured the same as a slipper suspension would be on our rear axle. Many of those made it through WW2.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                DarnDave Dave,

Nice to get the feedback on the shocks. I want them also but the upper bracket would need to be welded in. I see you have V clips and with those the X Factor bracket cannot be bolted in.

Jim

On GD Facebook page there is a discussion on the X Factor and I saw one solution which is to use longer bolts if you have V Clips installed.
                Last edited by Beachcamper; 06-07-2021, 04:03 PM.
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper

Vivian

That was posted here as well Woe is me/say it ain't so: X-Factor won't fit new Solitude - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Cate&Rob Rob,

The second video I posted with the slipper spring modification has no equalizer for the water test. I will go with the shock install and test one modification at a time.

I have my rig towing nicely but the soft suspension (chose to keep) should work well with the dampers (shocks) and E rated Endurance tires.

Still getting ready to sell in MI so this install would most likely be done later this year.

Jim

Comment

I saw the issue with the OP's camper - the fresh water drain is right in the way - Morryde does make a drop X-Factor kit, not sure if it would clear the drain though.
                      2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
                      1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
                      2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by openrangeowners View Post
                        I saw the issue with the OP's camper - the fresh water drain is right in the way - Morryde does make a drop X-Factor kit, not sure if it would clear the drain though.
                        For the 2600RB, the X Factor bracket clears the gray tank plumbing but the plumbing will not clear the shock installation. This is an easy fix with 4 45deg elbows.

Jim

Comment

Guest openrangeowners Country Campers Beachcamper Hi all, a couple of things on this. XFactor: Besides the water drain, the angled reinforcements on the outside of the center spring hanger was also causing an interference issue which precluded the installation. Shocks: Still glad I got them; I feel I got my money's worth. While not air-ride smooth, it definitely settled down the trailer. Would love to also have the slipper springs, but I attempted to install on our previous Forest River Cardinal. Turns out that Roadmaster only offers one size (length) spring. Leaf springs come in various lengths regardless of weight capacity. This seemed to take their technical team by surprise (?) Shop even had one side of the suspension apart. I learned what I now know after the fact and after I told them to put it back the way it was. There was a trailer life article several years ago highlighting the install on a Montana fifth wheel. Apparently Keystone used the right length springs. Forest River did not. The ideal setup would be to get their center mount bracket, which includes mounting points for the slipper springs and the upper shock mounts, and use aftermarket slipper springs of the appropriate weight capacity and length. They are widely available and hardly new technology. Far less moving parts and maintenance. You could even up the spring capacity if you so chose. But I doubt Roadmaster would sell just the center mount. I have used a couple of cargo trailers over the years with slipper springs and they do indeed ride well, and quiet.
                          Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
                          2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
                          2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
                          2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
                          Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

DarnDave thanks for this post. I just installed the shocks on my trailer and am hoping it's worth the time and money spent. You make me feel a little better . I also have the same setup as yours with the CRE3000. The only difference is my paranoia with drilling holes in the frame for the shock mounts. Mine were welded to the frame...we'll see how they hold.

Guest I have about 600 miles in teh CRE3000's without the shocks. THe CRE3000's made a slight difference. We live on some pretty rough roads and like to go places that have pretty rough roads. THe CRE3000's do smooth it out slightly....trailer is a little less bouncy. Our first trip with the shocks will be about 4,000 miles. That should provide plenty of opportunity to feel a difference...if any.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shocks1.jpg
Views:	929
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	56809Click image for larger version

Name:	Shocks 2.jpg
Views:	938
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	56810
                            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

acoleman43

We would be greatly interested in your shock review.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X