Woe is me/say it ain't so: X-Factor won't fit new Solitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woe is me/say it ain't so: X-Factor won't fit new Solitude

While recently installing Roadmaster shocks on our unit, we were going to use that opportunity to also install an X-Factor brace to our center hanger. It turns out that GD has done so much reinforcing of the hangers, that it is not possible to fit the X-Factor. The hanger is reinforced with V-shaped steel plate, and the frame above the hanger is reinforced with flat steel welded to the frame. The bracket of the X-Factor just wouldn't fit as intended flat against the hanger.

But even if it had, the fresh tank drain was sticking down thru the cloroplast right in the way of the cross brace. They couldn't have mounted that thing more in the way if they had tried!

So, now I have an X-Factor I can't use that is too heavy to return. Craigslist here I come.
    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

I would have to guess having the v-brace installed in the hangers that the X-factor would not be needed, wish I had the v-brace on mine but I have just not had time to get them welded in.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks, Brian. I hope you're right!
      Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
      2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
      2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
      2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
      Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

I am going to be installing the X-factor cross brace on my center hanger. Like the OP I also have the V-clip in the hanger, so I am getting longer bolts to allow me to clamp the outer and inner hanger between the X factor cross brace and the clamp strap. Since the hanger has the V-Clip inside, I assume the clamp strap keeps the X factor brace from rotating and the wet-bolt point provides the majority of carrying the stress to the X factor.

The clamp strap bolts are only tightened to 15 ft-lbs, so that tells me that they are mostly keeping the brace from rotating.

Original supplied bolts are 1.5” long, need to add 2.25” to clear hanger width, so need 3.75” bolts x 4 to install. Heading to hardware store soon.
        Last edited by openrangeowners; 06-05-2021, 10:04 AM.
        2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
        1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
        2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Broken hangers have primarily been a problem on earlier Reflections. Very few (if any) problems reported on Solitudes . . . even before the V brace was added in production. No one has reported a broken hanger on any model with the V brace installed. An X-Factor cross beam with bolted slip joints for length adjustment, is not likely going to have much affect, no matter how it is installed. (Just my opinion).

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by openrangeowners View Post
            I am going to be installing the X-factor cross brace on my center hanger. Like the OP I also have the V-clip in the hanger, so I am getting longer bolts to allow me to clamp the outer and inner hanger between the X factor cross brace and the clamp strap. Since the hanger has the V-Clip inside, I assume the clamp strap keeps the X factor brace from rotating and the wet-bolt point provides the majority of carrying the stress to the X factor.

The clamp strap bolts are only tightened to 15 ft-lbs, so that tells me that they are mostly keeping the brace from rotating.

Original supplied bolts are 1.5” long, need to add 2.25” to clear hanger width, so need 3.75” bolts x 4 to install. Heading to hardware store soon.
            I agree the strap is to prevent rotation. And agree with Brian and Rob that with the V Clip you probably do not need further re-enforcement. However, all the lateral motion of the hangers under my Imagine was on the center hanger as seen from a video I captured under the rig. Since the hanger cannot flex independent from the frame from what I had seen, I believe the frame was flexing along with the center hanger. The X factor bracket will stiffen up that frame/hanger rotation but from my experience I cannot tell its there from towing. I just like that its there to prevent so much lateral motion of the center hanger and frame. If you were to install the MORryde SRE4000 units it would be mandatory to have the X Factor bracket installed on the center hangers.

Jim

Comment

It's too bad we don't live closer to each other. I'd buy that X-factor from you.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I installed the MorRyde X Factor crossmember today. Was able to get 3.5” Grade 8 bolts to replace the 1.5” ones. Perfect size. I also got Grade 8 locknuts. Everything fit perfectly. I carefully removed the weight off of the tires, then used a jack under each axle (just to support, not to lift) and a hydraulic jack under the center equalizer (again to support). I removed the center grease zero bolt - it came out easy without the equalizer shifting, so I was able to replace it with the longer grease zero bolt that came with the X factor kit.

The plate welded to the end of each X Factor is pretty beefy - it fit my center hangers perfectly. I did have a gas line that had silicone caulk holding it to one hanger at the top - I removed the silicone so I could correctly position the X Factor cross member. The gas line sits on top of the plate and is fastened in front of and behind the plate.

The bolts holes that connect the two halves of the cross members together aligned in such a way that I could place one bolt in the left most hole and left edge of slot and the other in the right most hole and right edge of slot, thus preventing the two halves from sliding in or out since the one side has slots and the other side has holes.

I was impressed with the fact that everything was well greased from the factory (or maybe Beckley’s RV did an excellent PDI ….). The suspension did look very beefy compared to my previous 40’ Open Range with 6K axles.

The V-clips in all of the hangers as well as the welded wedges above each hanger in the framing looks like GD put a lot of thought into making sure there will not be any suspension failures. The springs were very beefy too (lots of arch as well). It appears that GD uses the same running gear on all of its Solitudes, and the 2930RL happens to be their smallest and lightest Solitude.

For the $120 I believe this suspension upgrade can’t hurt anything. I may never know if it helped - hopefully
                2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	56553Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	56554Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	56555Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	56556Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	56557Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	56558
                  2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	56553Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	56554Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	56555Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	56556Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	56557Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	56558
                    openrangeowners

What a great solution!

Jim

Comment

openrangeowners Is it an optical illusion of am I seeing one of the U bolts that look to appear crooked? If they are not vertical and torqued this way, they can come loose which can cause the spring center bolt to shear. Otherwise, a great solution to the X Factor use with hangers equipped with V Clips.

Jim

Comment

Jim - good eye - actually I used the wide angle lens on my iPhone which caused the front (far) axle to look like it was rotated on the springs - that is not actually the case though.
                        2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

Jim - good eye - actually I used the wide angle lens on my iPhone which caused the front (far) axle to look like it was rotated on the springs - that is not actually the case though.
                          Happy this is the case.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by DarnDave View Post
                            While recently installing Roadmaster shocks on our unit, we were going to use that opportunity to also install an X-Factor brace to our center hanger. It turns out that GD has done so much reinforcing of the hangers, that it is not possible to fit the X-Factor. The hanger is reinforced with V-shaped steel plate, and the frame above the hanger is reinforced with flat steel welded to the frame. The bracket of the X-Factor just wouldn't fit as intended flat against the hanger.

But even if it had, the fresh tank drain was sticking down thru the cloroplast right in the way of the cross brace. They couldn't have mounted that thing more in the way if they had tried!

So, now I have an X-Factor I can't use that is too heavy to return. Craigslist here I come.
                            Have you noticed a significant improvement in towing with the shock installation?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Happy this is the case.

Jim
                              I just took another look - the two U-Bolts did look like there was a little bit of a gap between them and the axle space (inner ones on both axles). I loosened their bolts and pushed the U bolt to eliminate the small gap and retightened. They are positioned about as close as they will get ...

Before ... top photo, After ... bottom photo - moved it maybe 1/4"

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4779.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	95.1 KB ID:	56760Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4783.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	56761
                              2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

Working...
                              X