Check That Spare!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check That Spare!

Doing my departure preps for tomorrow's trip to PA. I was surprised to find my tire loose.

I know some of you have come up with clever ways to keep the spare tire from coming loose--so please feel free to add them to this thread. Chiefblueman -- didn't you use a pin or something?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Thanks Howard!

I had the same discovery a few years ago. Now my pre-departure inspection includes using the crank handle to poke the tire for tightness. If it's loose, I have crank handle in hand.
    Barb, Lyle and the two four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Doing my departure preps for tomorrow's trip to PA. I was surprised to find my tire loose.

I know some of you have come up with clever ways to keep the spare tire from coming loose--so please feel free to add them to this thread. Chiefblueman -- didn't you use a pin or something?
      Howard, I drilled the shaft to accept a hitch pin clip https://www.amazon.com/Buyers-66070-...067138&sr=1-11
      then attached a simple L bracket next to the shaft also drilled to accept the clip. Simply pass the clip through the shaft and bracket. Never had a loose spare after that.
      2020 Reflection 315RLTS 2016 Silverado 2500HD
      "Use your head for something besides a hat rack"......my Dad.

Comment

My spare would often work loose as well. Drilling the shaft for a retaining pin seemed like a good idea, but that means that the drive shaft always needs to end up in the same rotational position. There seems to be some variation in this when the tire is tight to the underbody, so I came up with a locking "cap" that uses a 6 point 3/4" socket welded to a piece of tubing and a side bracket that bolts to the frame rail. This allows for more variation in the exact rotational position of the shaft.

Rob
        Attached Files
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by CloseToRetirement View Post
          Thanks Howard!

I had the same discovery a few years ago. Now my pre-departure inspection includes using the crank handle to poke the tire for tightness. If it's loose, I have crank handle in hand.
          Had the same discovery and now have included making sure the spare is cranked tight.
          2019 F250 Lariat
          2020 Solitude S Series 2930RL

Comment

Had the same issue and dealer replaced the spare tire holder assembly under warranty. I gave up as the new one did the same thing (slowly drop the tire) and decided to move it out back with this. https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-...rt/c31006.html and https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=BX88224 . I left the existing carrier in place and sealed the hole. In case of a flat I did not want to be crawling under the trailer to retrieve the spare. Someday if I take the Alaska trip and I may put a second spare under there, or add it on the new mount using longer bolts - would max out the receiver carrying capacity. The Blue Ox hitch receiver immobilizer II is a must to take the bounce and side motion out of the curt spare tire carrier. The set up out back works great. Somewhere I posted pictures of it, but cant find it right now.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
            X