Deflated Expectations - GM Factory TPMS Modules don’t fit GD 375RES Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deflated Expectations - GM Factory TPMS Modules don’t fit GD 375RES Rims

Was all excited to install the supplied TPMS modules that came with 2021 GMC Sierra 3500 on my trailer wheels and today I found out they are too small and don’t work. Trailer is a 2021 GD 375 RES with the upgraded Roadmaster tires. Has anyone else had this problem and what TPMS modules fit the rims and work with the built in GM system?

KW
    Keith Walker - Nashville, TN
    2021 GD Solitude 375RES-R
    2021 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW
    PullRite Superlite Single Point Connection 5th Wheel Hitch

Guest -- any insights?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by KWyer View Post
      Was all excited to install the supplied TPMS modules that came with 2021 GMC Sierra 3500 on my trailer wheels and today I found out they are too small and don’t work. Trailer is a 2021 GD 375 RES with the upgraded Roadmaster tires. Has anyone else had this problem and what TPMS modules fit the rims and work with the built in GM system?

KW
      I have heard this is an issue with the Ford system on some trailers. My 15” wheels didn’t have this issue (or at least they didn’t say anything when they mounted them at discount tire). I think the resolution on the Ford sensors was to remove the sensor from the valve stem and attach it to one that fit the hole in the wheel. Not sure if that can be done on GM.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I have heard this is an issue with the Ford system on some trailers. My 15” wheels didn’t have this issue (or at least they didn’t say anything when they mounted them at discount tire). I think the resolution on the Ford sensors was to remove the sensor from the valve stem and attach it to one that fit the hole in the wheel. Not sure if that can be done on GM.
        Neil,

I've heard of this as well but am not directly familiar with the issue. I believe the stem can be changed or the rim drilled but am not certain without more details.

Update: I did dig in a bit and did see where some customers may need to buy larger stems. These stems are cheap if this is the case.

Here is some additional information:

GM releases sensors for one size valve stem, which is the standard for most wheels – the larger stem isn’t the standard but it is used on a lot of older trailers. There are stems for the bolt-on style sensors that are 0.625” diameter. The supplied sensors won’t work with 0.625 holes, but most wheels don’t have 0.625 holes. In that case, aftermarket bolt-on sensors and a compatible 0.625” stem will be needed.

Jim
        Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2021, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Neil,

I've heard of this as well but am not directly familiar with the issue. I believe the stem can be changed or the rim drilled but am not certain without more details.

Update: I did dig in a bit and did see where some customers may need to buy larger stems. These stems are cheap if this is the case.

GM releases sensors for one size valve stem, which is the standard for most wheels – the larger stem isn’t the standard but it is used on a lot of older trailers. There are stems for the bolt-on style sensors that are 0.625” diameter. The supplied sensors won’t work with 0.625 holes, but most wheels don’t have 0.625 holes. In that case, aftermarket bolt-on sensors and a compatible 0.625” stem will be needed.

Jim
          That sounds familiar. When I did my Ford everyone was saying I would need to get larger stems (.625 rings a bell). A company called Nicholas Manufacturing made them as I recall. I used them for a wiring harness I needed to move my TPMS plug to the bed. I did this at the same time I got new tires so I took the sensor’s and tires to Discount Tire and explained they might not fit as they said if it was an issue they’d take care of it. When I picked them up nobody mentioned any issue so I assumed my wheels had the same size holes as my sensors and stems.

I definitely remember some people saying (it might have been “there other forum” or a Ford forum I follow) that you could take the sensor off the stem and just mount it to the correct stem somehow.

This seems relevant but I don’t see them at Nicolas anymore:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/threads...ilers.1004665/
          Last edited by ncitro; 03-28-2021, 09:48 AM.

Neil Citro

Comment

Here is the link to the site that Neil stated.

https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldi...-hole-size-625

Jim

Comment

That’s exactly what I need and thank you all so much! The bummer is that I drove right past their location in Arizona during our epic 5500 mile spring break trip last week and I could have just swung by and had this all done quickly. Oh well, Fedex it is.

KW
              Keith Walker - Nashville, TN
              2021 GD Solitude 375RES-R
              2021 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW
              PullRite Superlite Single Point Connection 5th Wheel Hitch

Comment

No problem! Let us know how it turns out.

Neil Citro

Comment

Neil,

Jim
                  Jim - thank you for sharing this ! As you recall, Carol and I are looking at ordering a new 2021 (may wait till 2022 models now) 3500 Chevy or maybe a GMC. I want to include the trailer TPMS sensor son the build (about $50 as I recall) and have read several posts elsewhere about these not fitting our RV wheels valve stems. I have also read posts where the maximum range is not or may not be long enough to read the rear wheel sensors on longer trailers. I need to learn more about this.

Dan
                  Dan & Carol
                  2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                  2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Jim - thank you for sharing this ! As you recall, Carol and I are looking at ordering a new 2021 (may wait till 2022 models now) 3500 Chevy or maybe a GMC. I want to include the trailer TPMS sensor son the build (about $50 as I recall) and have read several posts elsewhere about these not fitting our RV wheels valve stems. I have also read posts where the maximum range is not or may not be long enough to read the rear wheel sensors on longer trailers. I need to learn more about this.

Dan
                    Dan,

I've also heard that an aftermarket 433Mhz sensor will work with the GM system but folks need to be careful to check that this will indeed work. Could be worth buying one to test. I've driven the Duramax and would buy it in a heartbeat if I had a need. I most likely will buy the baby D Max for my next truck.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Dan
                      I do not have any experience with the Chevy system, but I love the Ford one. Having it integrated into the truck rather than another display on my dash is great. The Ford system comes with a repeater that mounts in the trailer so extend the signal range, maybe Chevy offers something similar.

Neil Citro

Comment

I would be completely satisfied with my TireMinder TPMS if it came with integrated sensors. The small hand held unit sits on a slot that's integrated into my console. I need to write TireMinder to see if this is possible if the frequency lines up the same.

Having stated that, my next truck will have all the trailer gizmos.

Jim

Comment

Having stated that, my next truck will have all the trailer gizmos.
                          No doubt a Ford, right?

Sorry...couldn't resist.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

No doubt a Ford, right?

Sorry...couldn't resist.
                            Lol I was avoiding that.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Lol I was avoiding that.
                              LOL. I could easily own a Ford. I get the GM employee discount as a retiree so the deal would have to be really good.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X