Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to redesign Spare Tire bumper-mounted carrier

2018 Imagine 2950RL.

Had to remove a wheel on the road due to axle misalignment that wore through both steel belts on the tire.

Not that big a deal, EXCEPT YOU CAN'T PUT THE ALUMINUM WHEEL ON THE SPARE TIRE CARRIER !!!

What kind of nonsense is this?

I had to reload the bed of my truck to carry the bad tire/wheel combo.

Lesson: make sure you have room in the truck for a replaced tire or find someplace IN THE TRAILER to carry it to a repair shop.

Grand Design?

Thou hast a grand design flaw.

Future customers would be happier if you fixed it.

Welcome aboard. Sorry for your tire woes.
    Can you explain why the wheel does not fit? a picture maybe?
    This will be very helpful info to share with others.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Interesting. Attached link with picture of GDRV factory spare tire/mount on a 2950. One would think that the wheel offset and tire size would be (s/b) the same thus not an issue with this as a possible cause.

Only thing I can think of would be depth dimension of aluminum wheel lug hole being greater than steel of course, thus not allowing stud on spare tire carrier to not be long enough to fasten an aluminum wheel if this is how to be fastened. The picture in the link about seems to indicate plenty of threads. I have not seen this issue posted about anywhere in cyberspace.

Pictures and more details from the OP would be helpful.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...0RL-5006018632

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
        Only thing I can think of would be depth dimension of aluminum wheel lug hole being greater than steel of course, thus not allowing stud on spare tire carrier to not be long enough to fasten an aluminum wheel if this is how to be fastened.
        My apologies for the delay in replying.

I just got my unit out of the repair shop four days ago, just in time for a Thanksgiving trip!

I haven't been able to take pictures.

You are quite correct that the stud is not long enough to reach through the lug hole on the aluminum wheel - the wheel is too thick.

The bolt that holds the crossbar in the hole for the hub is not long enough, either.

I am going to see what I can do to install longer bolts.

Comment

Good information. My Imagine has a different size lug nut on the spare tire carrier. Need to have two different size sockets to remove the flat tire and the spare tire.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2020, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X