New to GD need info on Suspension system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to GD need info on Suspension system

Hello, I'm a newbie just finished 7 months of researching TT it was probably the most confusing thing I ever done. Finally got it down to 2 TT GD 17MKE & the Lance 1985. I really like the GD 17MKE floor plan but I've noticed a lot of complaints about the suspension system on the Imagine during my research ranging from no grease ports to really rough rides. Should I factor this in to my decision process or is it nothing to worry about.

thanks in advance for the imput

I suggest you look at both. More than likely you will find both use the same axles and springs if they have the same axle loadings. The 2 big players in axles / spring combinations are Dexter and Lippert (LCI).

With either one, the ride will be similar. There are upgrades like shocks and other devices to help should you find the ride harsher than what you would like.

Remember this is a GD site, so we will push the GD. Yet to put my GD to use (next weekend maiden voyage) but thus far, I like the GD over my other 2 campers.

Base your decision on the build quality you find, and what you like. Remember internet reviews focus on the Negative. For every 1 good review you find, there are 100's of bad reviews or bad experiences. Bad reviews travel faster than a wildfire and never die.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by MJC View Post
      Hello, I'm a newbie just finished 7 months of researching TT it was probably the most confusing thing I ever done. Finally got it down to 2 TT GD 17MKE & the Lance 1985. I really like the GD 17MKE floor plan but I've noticed a lot of complaints about the suspension system on the Imagine during my research ranging from no grease ports to really rough rides. Should I factor this in to my decision process or is it nothing to worry about.

First--welcome to the Grand Design Owners' (Technical) Forum. GD pays the bills to keep this website up and running, so right there is a least some proof of their commitment to their owners. Everyone here, except those with a "GDRV-xxxx" name, are owners just like (hopefully) you.

To orient you to how this place works, check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members It's OK that you're a "tire kicker"!

For your specific question, in addition to what Jlawles2 stated consider how much you will tow and where you will tow. Going up and down I-75 in Michigan or across I-10 through Louisiana and Mississippi on a regular basis? I'd seriously worry about the robustness of the suspension. Just going to tow to the lake on back roads a few times each summer? The suspension is not much of a consideration.

For the DW and I it came down to three factors: floorplan and perceived quality of the product and company were the first two, and the support of a community was the third. At the time (summer 2018) for us there was nothing comparable to GD's 315RLTS that met our needs and wants, and I'd developed a "relationship" with many individuals (via a forum similar to this one) that still thrives to this day.

There's not an RV assembled in Elkhart that doesn't have (occasionally) issues. That, unfortunately, includes GD. If expectations are aligned with "the way it is" you'll enjoy your RV, no matter the brand.

Good luck with your decision!

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I believe Lance trailers come with torsion axles where Grand Designs does not which will make a difference as far as ride.

I would Find the GD 17MKE and the Lance 1985. Get familiar with them, write a list of pros and cons, then make your decision.

Honestly, you won't lose either way. Both Lance and Grand Designs offer good products.
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

In addition to above, I would suggest that you research and obtain, to the most thorough degree reasonably possible, which company delivers the best AFTER the sale service. How much value you put on that particular factor is up to you. After 21 years in the retail Jewelry world I'd say that AFTER sale service and support comes in a close second to Build Quality. I've been impressed with Lance also but as you can see, I went with GD. Good Luck!
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
          GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
          SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Thank you all for the info, I knew about Lances torsion axles but they didn't seem like a deal breaker to me. After researching for 7 mo I expect some problems I'm just trying to avoid major issues. I do believe that GD has a better support system in place and since none of you mentioned any problems with the suspension or the fact that you cant grease the bearings I'm pretty sure I'll go with the 17MIKE.

Comment

Thank you all for the info, I knew about Lances torsion axles but they didn't seem like a deal breaker to me. After researching for 7 mo I expect some problems I'm just trying to avoid major issues. I do believe that GD has a better support system in place and since none of you mentioned any problems with the suspension or the fact that you cant grease the bearings I'm pretty sure I'll go with the 17MIKE.
              Not sure if you misspoke at the end there but you can definitely grease the bearings. I think they might even have the zerk on the axle, but the axle manufacturers recommendation (and most on here) is not to use it and have pack the bearings. The grease fitting is for a boat trailer where they’re rapidly cooled when backed into the water.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
              X