Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Imagine XLS 17MKE with mixed up tires!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Imagine XLS 17MKE with mixed up tires!

I went outside yesterday to record the codes off my tires for warranty registration. My salesman had mentioned that the cold inflation pressure was to be 65psi, and the first two tires I looked at were LR C, 50psi. Went around the other side and they were LR D, 65psi. Crawled underneath and the spare was correct as well. I had to send pics to the dealer so that they could process the warranty claim. Trust, but verify!

John in PA
    2021 Imagine XLS MKE

Wow, are these Westlake tires, or what brand are they? I suspect they are. On the Lionshead site (makes westlake) they only list ST205/75 R14 with a C load rating and max load of 1,760 and cold pressure of 50PSI. On Etrailer site, they only sell the D rated version, max load of 2,040 cold pressure of 65 psi. Sounds like a serious mix up, and I wonder if this is why blow outs happen, because they are fitting units with incorrect tires (C insead of D). Heres a comment from a customer at etrailer regarding C vs D:

by: Ajfoe02/17/2020

My camper had Westlakes on it when bought new, 5 years later I looked for an upgrade and all the "China Bomb" comments everywhere and even American had some negatives. I had no problem with my Westlakes for 5 years therefore I was my best reference and bought another set of Westlakes but moved up to D rated vice the C rated that came with the trailer. I have absolutely no complaints with these. 754895

Many things factor into blowouts, but you certainly want the right tire for your unit to start with! Insist that they are at least a D rating, or whatever the right rating is for your GVWR. BTW the ones on etrailer are also "L" rated for speed, which is 75mph.

I just wonder why the D rated version is not listed on the manufacturer's website (Lionshead).
    We are in the process of getting a GD XLS 21BHE (GVWR 6,395) and it is like pulling teeth to get any info on exactly what tire is on them! The dealer offer to sell us Tyrons (an add on product that they put inside the tire to protect the unit from flying debris during a blowout) That made of think "now why are they offering this, is there issues with the tires they use?" Thus my research began. Why spend $2,000 on Tyrons, when what you really need is the right type of tire? We don't go above 65 and mostly stay around 60, so it pays to get the right tire to start with and drive safely.

I might be fine if they were Westlake D rated tires. But I am still researching other brands, ie Goodyear Endurance.

Can you let me know what happened, did you get this resolved?

Comment

Originally posted by Maryalara View Post
      Wow, are these Westlake tires, or what brand are they? I suspect they are. On the Lionshead site (makes westlake) they only list ST205/75 R14 with a C load rating and max load of 1,760 and cold pressure of 50PSI. On Etrailer site, they only sell the D rated version, max load of 2,040 cold pressure of 65 psi. Sounds like a serious mix up, and I wonder if this is why blow outs happen, because they are fitting units with incorrect tires (C insead of D). Heres a comment from a customer at etrailer regarding C vs D:

by: Ajfoe02/17/2020

My camper had Westlakes on it when bought new, 5 years later I looked for an upgrade and all the "China Bomb" comments everywhere and even American had some negatives. I had no problem with my Westlakes for 5 years therefore I was my best reference and bought another set of Westlakes but moved up to D rated vice the C rated that came with the trailer. I have absolutely no complaints with these. 754895

Many things factor into blowouts, but you certainly want the right tire for your unit to start with! Insist that they are at least a D rating, or whatever the right rating is for your GVWR. BTW the ones on etrailer are also "L" rated for speed, which is 75mph.

I just wonder why the D rated version is not listed on the manufacturer's website (Lionshead).
      We are in the process of getting a GD XLS 21BHE (GVWR 6,395) and it is like pulling teeth to get any info on exactly what tire is on them! The dealer offer to sell us Tyrons (an add on product that they put inside the tire to protect the unit from flying debris during a blowout) That made of think "now why are they offering this, is there issues with the tires they use?" Thus my research began. Why spend $2,000 on Tyrons, when what you really need is the right type of tire? We don't go above 65 and mostly stay around 60, so it pays to get the right tire to start with and drive safely.

I might be fine if they were Westlake D rated tires. But I am still researching other brands, ie Goodyear Endurance.

Can you let me know what happened, did you get this resolved?

These are Westlake, and yes they do make D range, as I have 3 of the correct tires. My dealer has me scheduled to have the incorrect ones swapped out later this week.

Comment

Working...
      X