Load Range E Tire Size and Brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Load Range E Tire Size and Brand

I apologize if this has been posted before, but I haven't found it if it is. I have a 2019 F150 SCREW with 3.5 Ecoboost matched with an Imagine 2400BH. I'm also using a BlueOX WDH, TrackPro, with 1000lb bars and I'm using the Roadmaster Active Suspension system right now. As I'm searching for the next thing to make the truck more stable, I have the Bilstein 5100 rear shocks ordered, but not installed yet. All of this to ask about load range E tires. Here are my questions:

1. Do you think Load Range E will be worth the money?
    2. If so, what size?
    3. I can find Goodyear TrailerRunner AT, but they are 275/65r20 on marketplace, right now I have the factory Goodyear Wrangler 275/55r20. What do you think of this model and size?
    a. I do have a 2.5" leveling kit installed.

I find a lot of threads that talk about using Load Range E tires, but I don't find a mention of which ones or what sizes are available? It seems there are few options when it comes to factory tire sizes for the F150. When everyone talks about upgrading tires to range E, are they also increasing the tire size as well?

Thanks in advance...
    2019 F150 SuperCrew Lariat w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
    2021 Imagine 2400BH
    BlueOx TrackPro w/ 1000lb
    RoadMaster Active Suspension

Sorry I meant to say I can find the Goodyear TrailerRunner AT 275/65r20 on marketplace, but I'm not sure what to think about going with the larger tire. What do you think about this model and tire size?
    2021 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Mhastings14 Many people in the community really enjoy the Michelin Defender LTX M/S (make sure they are the E-rated version). I was going to grab some when I got new tires about a month ago but Costco had a great deal on Bridgestone Deueler H/T 685 E-Rated. I have done 2 trips towing on them and have been very pleased. One was 500mi the other was about 150mi total. I DD them also and just lower my pressure compared to towing.

You just need to search the manufacturer website for the tire size you need/prefer and then look to your dealer to order.

To compare: Im running a 2018 Titan SV 4x4 with the 5.6L, E-rated Bridgestone H/T 685 (60frt, 65rear), Hensley Arrow with 1k bars, 2400BH and no suspension updates (yet, I want bags b/c the cool kids have them) and I have no issues with stability. Ive driven from Tampa to Columba SC with no problems. Did a trip to Santee State Park this past weekend with the whole crew and no issue either.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!
      2021 GD Imagine 2400BH - Hensley hitch, Levelmate Pro, TPMS, Furrion back up and a few other things
      2018 Nissan Titan SV 5.6L 4x4 - 3 kids and a co-pilot

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Is it safe to say that most people who are running load range E are running 275/65/20?
        2021 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Originally posted by Mhastings14 View Post
          Thanks for the feedback! Is it safe to say that most people who are running load range E are running 275/65/20?
          275/65/20 is the tire size for the specific vehicle. I am running 265/70/18 as that is my factory size. However a different trim level offers 20" wheel that has a 275/60/20 as the factory. Load range and Tire size are not dependent.

Last bit. The taller the sidewall the more potential flex it can have. Imagine at 35" tire on a 15" rim, no picture that 35" tire on a 22" rim. Less sidewall could mean less flex. Take it for what its worth. Just realize the size is not the ultimate factor for Load range.

Keep asking questions! We have similar set ups so I will try to assist where can. What's your payload with that truck?
          2021 GD Imagine 2400BH - Hensley hitch, Levelmate Pro, TPMS, Furrion back up and a few other things

Comment

Yeah I realize about the tire size and not being dependent; sorry I should have been more clear. If your stock size for your F150 (mine is) 275/55r20, then are you having to upsize your tire to 275/65r20 in order to get the load range E tire? In other words, for people with 20inch rims, are you having to go up in size to get the benefit of a stiffer sidewall? Or.....if people are staying with the factory size tire for a 20in wheel, what brand/model are they buying to get the load range E tire?

By the way, I've also thought about getting the Hensley or ProPride hitch, but dang the price!! Was it worth the money? I've read awesome things about the hitch, but it's a little hard to see spending that much money on a hitch. While my ride could be better, It's hard to see going from a $600 hitch to a $3500 hitch. I must be wrong because people swear by them.
            2021 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Mhastings14 Hensley came with it!!! Bought the rig "used" 2021 from private seller. He put 5-6k in upgrades. I love it. Like an arrow on the road. If you are having real sway issues its best to check a few other boxes before dropping that cash. Ive heard other people say it fixed it forever and others say it didnt help.

So I don't think you have to go bigger to get E Rated. If you WANT bigger go for it haha. For Michelin specifically the LTX they don't offer an E-rated 275/55/20. What are some more specs on your TV. Trim level, 4x2/4, HD payload or Standard Towing package.

Just digging around there may be other things that could lead to your 'stability' issues. Do you know your payload and towing cap off hand?

Comment

Payload is 1650 I believe.
                No HDPP
                4x4, but not FX4.
                Max Towing Package.
                13,200 towing capacity

I had a Reese Straightline hitch on the way home from the dealership (hitch was given to me), and it was awful to say the least. Anything over 60 and I would have been in the ditch fast. I changed to a BlueOx TrackPro and and added the Active Suspension and the sway is minimized or not there at all. The only exception is a semi passing still seems to get me. Just searching for that next incremental improvement to help, like stiffer sidewall tires.

2021 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Originally posted by Mhastings14 View Post
                  I apologize if this has been posted before, but I haven't found it if it is. I have a 2019 F150 SCREW with 3.5 Ecoboost matched with an Imagine 2400BH. I'm also using a BlueOX WDH, TrackPro, with 1000lb bars and I'm using the Roadmaster Active Suspension system right now. As I'm searching for the next thing to make the truck more stable, I have the Bilstein 5100 rear shocks ordered, but not installed yet. All of this to ask about load range E tires. Here are my questions:

2. If so, what size?
                  3. I can find Goodyear TrailerRunner AT, but they are 275/65r20 on marketplace, right now I have the factory Goodyear Wrangler 275/55r20. What do you think of this model and size?

I find a lot of threads that talk about using Load Range E tires, but I don't find a mention of which ones or what sizes are available? It seems there are few options when it comes to factory tire sizes for the F150. When everyone talks about upgrading tires to range E, are they also increasing the tire size as well?

Thanks in advance...
                  I went with Load Range E Michelin Defenders and these are very nice tires and I believe they incrementally helped with the towing experience. If I could have found a D rated tire for my loading I would have preferred this since I did lose some ride quality while non-towing. For me the items that really made the difference was air bags to increase suspension travel on the no bottom Michigan roads and adjusting the bags and WDH to put the truck in its unloaded stance. What this did was to put as much weight as I could to the front end of the truck to increase handling while keeping the rear off the jounce bumpers. The newer trucks are very light and especially in the front as compared to the iron block V8s and steel sheet metal that used to be so common.

I run my Michelins at 35-40 psi when not towing to maintain a decent ride and air them to 45psi in the front and 50 psi on the rear for towing. Too much air pressure will reduce the contact patch on a light truck and will gain you nothing for handling IMO. Also its best to stay at or below 65psi on a half ton aluminum rim.

See TireRack for sizing options.

Jim

Comment

Mhastings14 thanks for the info. Your payload seems right (it’s on your door jamb with your tire pressure/size info). That tow cap seems crazy! That’s closing in on 3/4 territory!

the guy we bought off had a 2018 limited with the 3.5l (fx4 I think) and he didn’t have any issue. Stock as far as I know. Have you ever scaled it ready for a trip? Your in GA right?

Ultimately I would say if you need tires and you plan on towing, go E rated. Even if you have to jump a size to get there. Research the big manufacturers and see what fits you and your budget if that’s a factor.

Comment

Answer to the original question:

These tires come in 275/55R20 load range E max load rating is 3,085#

Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT
                      Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3
                      Firestone Destination X/T

Michelin LTX has max load rating of 2304# to 2535#.

Seems the Cooper, Bridgestone and Firestone have slightly stiffer sidewalls.
                      Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Here are some additional details, opinions and so on.

It will improve some but its not a fix all. I would not remove tires with more than 50% tread life to do this. Increase the pressure in your TV tires up to 5 psi below the max sidewall to see if things improve.

2. If so, what size?
                        Try to get the size that is on your truck. You may need to change aspect ratio to get into a D or E rated tire. A taller tire will throw off your speedo and can affect more than just the speed readout .
                        https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...o&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is a personal preference with almost infinite answer on brands. Michelin is the best tire for a TV if cost is no concern.

Makes no difference.

Jim

Comment

These are great answers and I definitely appreciate all of the feedback! Exactly the reason I joined this forum.
                          2021 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Looks like Michelin makes a 10 ply Defender LTX in a LT265/60R20. It would only be .8 of an inch taller than your stock size. Keep in mind only 1/2 that mounted. Load rating at 80psi is a touch over 3k.
                            2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
                            Traded 2021 Reflection 337
                            2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
                            Formerly M&K337

Comment

Originally posted by M&K337 View Post
                              Looks like Michelin makes a 10 ply Defender LTX in a LT265/60R20. It would only be .8 of an inch taller than your stock size. Keep in mind only 1/2 that mounted. Load rating at 80psi is a touch over 3k.
                              Somewhere on TireRack there will be information on rotations/mile where a tire at .8 inch taller would be near identical and especially when using reduced pressure for half ton usage. Half ton aluminum rims are not designed for 80 psi. For what its worth, I checked with the rim engineer at a major auto company and he mentioned it would be best to not exceed 65psi.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X