Load Range E Tire Size and Brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Somewhere on TireRack there will be information on rotations/mile where a tire at .8 inch taller would be near identical and especially when using reduced pressure for half ton usage. Half ton aluminum rims are not designed for 80 psi. For what its worth, I checked with the rim engineer at a major auto company and he mentioned it would be best to not exceed 65psi.

Jim
    I second this. Research your wheels. May not be rated for 80psi. I think they probably would be..but check.
    As for whether 'E' tires on your 1/2 ton is worth the money..I'm thinking not? Your truck still would not safely carry more or pull more.
    Unless your reason for changing is it's a stronger tire and less likely to fail? Even if you are not loaded close to it's capacity?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

I second this. Research your wheels. May not be rated for 80psi. I think they probably would be..but check.
      As for whether 'E' tires on your 1/2 ton is worth the money..I'm thinking not? Your truck still would not safely carry more or pull more.
      Unless your reason for changing is it's a stronger tire and less likely to fail? Even if you are not loaded close to it's capacity?
      Scott,

I moved to E rated for increased durability as you stated over the light tires that came with the truck. The OEM tires did have good carrying capacity at the max sidewall of 44psi where I was not comfortable with that. Another advantage with the heavier tire is better lateral stability with the heavier sidewall construction. Did it make a huge difference? No. The moderate improvement was worth it only because I was due for a set of tires. If I could have found a set of D rated Michelin Defenders in my size, I would have purchased those for my half ton.

Jim

Comment

Working...
      X