Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dexter 4400 LB axle bearing and seals - what to order and how to find part numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dexter 4400 LB axle bearing and seals - what to order and how to find part numbers?

Used GD parts look up Part number for my axle per their picture is 120101 Dexter # 7763221 which happen to match a tag on one of my axles. They then go on to list other axles and even a 5200 lb on that for the 220RK was not used. Was hoping for more information on bearings and seals.
    Here are pictures of my tags - one had two one over the other.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290s.jpg
Views:	2504
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	51944Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0291s.jpg
Views:	2498
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	51945
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0293s.jpg
Views:	2754
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	51946Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292s.jpg
Views:	2324
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	51947

From this I went to https://www.dexteraxle.com where I put in the axle number, but got No hits until I added the D44 which took me to this catalog
    https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...te_catalog.pdf
    Page 48 gives information on the D44 hub, but I cant cross reference to the axle tag. Whats strange there is no outer seal, just the easy lube boot. but it has been a while since I was into wheel bearings.

I have an email into Dexter - sent last Thursday - no response yet.

I want to get replacement seals and bearing. Wanting to verify the part numbers too, or find full kits - USA made if possible. Timkin used to be a good brand - are they still?

Thanks for any help
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

D44 Hub Kit 10" Brake with 6 on 5.5" Bolt Pattern (dexterpartsonline.com)

Here is what I found. Somewhere there is a list for the bearings and seals for axels but I can not find it right now.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      D44 Hub Kit 10" Brake with 6 on 5.5" Bolt Pattern (dexterpartsonline.com)

Here is what I found. Somewhere there is a list for the bearings and seals for axels but I can not find it right now.

Brian
      Thanks Brian
      The parts list approximately matches page 48 of the Dexter D44 hub group. so were getting closer. I wonder who makes the parts shown - I don't need the hub. Ill shoot them an email.

Keith

On edit found this http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/pro...F%207800061-02
      Still no mention of brand and they do mention import kits on their web page
      Last edited by Yoda; 04-26-2021, 07:13 PM.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith

Type the part numbers in and do a search and it will come up with where it is made and you can also find a Timken cross reference for USA made bearings.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Keith

Type the part numbers in and do a search and it will come up with where it is made and you can also find a Timken cross reference for USA made bearings.

Brian
          Interesting Timken part numbers match the Dexter numbers - I wonder if Dexter is using Timken. https://www.timken.com/engineering-t...earing-search/

Comment

I've learned over the years that the vast majority of the mfgrs use the identical part numbers for the same seals.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Yoda

Timken makes good bearings and seals, but . . . they now manufacture their products in many different countries (like most other companies). Timken no longer means “made in USA”. Certain sizes might be, but they also have plants in Brazil and elsewhere. You won’t know for sure until you see what it says on the box.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                Yoda

Timken makes good bearings and seals, but . . . they now manufacture their products in many different countries (like most other companies). Timken no longer means “made in USA”. Certain sizes might be, but they also have plants in Brazil and elsewhere. You won’t know for sure until you see what it says on the box.

Rob
                Thanks Rob
                It is amazing what changes over time. Can you recommend any brands that are good that I might use?

The reason I was looking at Timkin is back in 78 I had a 77 Ford F250 high boy that ate universal joints. I tried everything until a NAPA recommended I try the US made Timkin. Was about $5 more but they lasted about 6x longer.
                Now I only drove it on Sunday - not. It hauled me all over the flat tops above Glenwood Springs CO

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Thanks Rob
                  It is amazing what changes over time. Can you recommend any brands that are good that I might use?
                  I would still stick with the Timken for any wheel bearing application. I've been sticking them in everything I have done since I grew up in the service department at a Ford dealership. Even the OEM Ford and GM (back then anyway) was Timken.
                  Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                  Nash County, NC
                  2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

So the ultimate question is - do I have the correct part numbers?
                    Keith

Comment

Keith, If you have the bearings out, what is the number on them?
                      Nash County, NC
                      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                        Keith, If you have the bearings out, what is the number on them?
                        Unfortunately I don't have the out. I am wanting to order parts so I have them on hand and for having someone service/repack them. I know for that I probably just need new seals, but who knows.
                        Thanks

Comment

Yoda Keith, You may want to call Dexter axle. I know when I had a failure, their phone response was extremely impressive. Called monday, tuesday axles built and shipped, arrived thursday and installed.

Now to the good stuff. I guess you found the document https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf seals are listed on page 78 (no real help b/c its based on brake size). Then on page 80 the bearings are listed. Page 80 is probably the best info. For D44 axles brakes are 10 X 2-1/4.

I actually have 4 K71-303-00 seals in my box that I cannot use (from previous unit). New unit has D52 axles in it. Fair warning, all Dexter branded bearings are made in China. I would go for Timkens even if made in China, they are Timken spec or Timken factory with Timken QA.

Message me if you want those seals. I have a deal you will love.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Well Dexter cam through. I sent another email yesterday with my axle pictures. Using the serial number they gave me a build sheet with all the part numbers, so I now have confirmation on what to get. Now to find a place with good Timkin pricing.
                            Axle Configuration (21).pdf

Comment

Yoda Funny, but none of those part numbers are listed in the service manual....You have to dig through the parts kit catalogue.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X