Broken Leaf Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Leaf Spring

After going through the Eisenhower Tunnel on I70 today we went through a pretty rough stretch of road. As we got to about ten miles East of Vail, I noticed the trailer towing at an angle in the mirror. I knew right away from my experience with a broken spring hanger it would be suspension related problem. I creepy ten miles down the descent to an exit so I could see what was going on and my rear passenger leaf spring was broken. It was jammed up solid against the frame so we made some call’s and located a service center that could do the work but wasn’t sure on parts availability until we could get it there. We limped there on a frontage road, a total of about fifty miles. Meanwhile we contacted Grand Design and Lippert who were both outstanding to work with. Unfortunately neither had it in stock (and LCI even checked Amazon for us) but gave us a litany of specs on both the Spring and axle to make it easier for the service center to match it. We got there and they found a match at a local Napa, by the time they had the old one off, the new one was there and they got it changed out. Napa sent two in case he other side was shot, but he said it has a good arch in it and offered to sell me the second one for a spare. I was all in for $300, he only charged me a half hour of labor even though they were on it for over an hour. I then proceeded down the road to Discount Tire to get all four tires replaced (the rear two were shot from the drive to the repair place, and I was worried the front’s were overloaded). I was hoping they might cover them on the road hazard I had but no luck there.

I’m not sure what our rules are here about mentioning shops, so if this is inappropriate feel free to delete this part:

If you’re in a bind near Vail I can hugely recommend 2 Valley Tire in Gypsum. Outstanding group of people that went the extra mile. Instead of waiting for a part to come from Denver or further for days we were out in a couple of hours.

I’m rethinking my decision to not upgrade my ankles and move to the IS (it just seemed excessive to go from 5200 pounds to 7k to get the Morryde system), and that may happen this fall.

I’m going to run through a set of scales tomorrow but I weighed not too far back and was below the axle weight at the time, and we’ve lightened our load since then.

All in all everyone is safe and the rig is too, just thought I would share a story with a happy ending, and a great experience with GD, LCI, and a local shop.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
    After going through the Eisenhower Tunnel on I70 today we went through a pretty rough stretch of road. As we got to about ten miles East of Vail, I noticed the trailer towing at an angle in the mirror. I knew right away from my experience with a broken spring hanger it would be suspension related problem. I creepy ten miles down the descent to an exit so I could see what was going on and my rear passenger leaf spring was broken. It was jammed up solid against the frame so we made some call’s and located a service center that could do the work but wasn’t sure on parts availability until we could get it there. We limped there on a frontage road, a total of about fifty miles. Meanwhile we contacted Grand Design and Lippert who were both outstanding to work with. Unfortunately neither had it in stock (and LCI even checked Amazon for us) but gave us a litany of specs on both the Spring and axle to make it easier for the service center to match it. We got there and they found a match at a local Napa, by the time they had the old one off, the new one was there and they got it changed out. Napa sent two in case he other side was shot, but he said it has a good arch in it and offered to sell me the second one for a spare. I was all in for $300, he only charged me a half hour of labor even though they were on it for over an hour. I then proceeded down the road to Discount Tire to get all four tires replaced (the rear two were shot from the drive to the repair place, and I was worried the front’s were overloaded). I was hoping they might cover them on the road hazard I had but no luck there.

I’m not sure what our rules are here about mentioning shops, so if this is inappropriate feel free to delete this part:

If you’re in a bind near Vail I can hugely recommend 2 Valley Tire in Gypsum. Outstanding group of people that went the extra mile. Instead of waiting for a part to come from Denver or further for days we were out in a couple of hours.

I’m rethinking my decision to not upgrade my ankles and move to the IS (it just seemed excessive to go from 5200 pounds to 7k to get the Morryde system), and that may happen this fall.

I’m going to run through a set of scales tomorrow but I weighed not too far back and was below the axle weight at the time, and we’ve lightened our load since then.

All in all everyone is safe and the rig is too, just thought I would share a story with a happy ending, and a great experience with GD, LCI, and a local shop.
    Neil,

So glad you were able to find a quick solution to your problem and that you and your family are safe. That's some beautiful territory you are traveling in as well.

Jim

Comment

Neil

Thanks for sharing your story. Your experience is the reason I decided to get MORryde IS installed on my current rig before it was shipped. I've read too many stories about broken springs and spring hangers. We already have enough things to worry about while towing these huge rigs. Axles are one of the things we can improve to lower our chances of being stranded on the side of the road a hundred miles form a shop. Glad to hear things worked out so well for you - and good decision replacing the tires!

BTW, you may want to contact MORryde about their scheduling. I think they are waaaaaaaay backed up.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
        Neil

Thanks for sharing your story. Your experience is the reason I decided to get MORryde IS installed on my current rig before it was shipped. I've read too many stories about broken springs and spring hangers. We already have enough things to worry about while towing these huge rigs. Axles are one of the things we can improve to lower our chances of being stranded on the side of the road a hundred miles form a shop. Glad to hear things worked out so well for you - and good decision replacing the tires!

BTW, you may want to contact MORryde about their scheduling. I think they are waaaaaaaay backed up.
        Yeah I talked to them over the winter and I’ve heard they’re scheduled into next year. We’re pretty close to them and they have a waiting list so I might go that route.

It’s amazingly beautiful. My first time through here and it’s stunning.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Neil ncitro - thanks, for keeping us posted on your trip. Not the post we were all looking for but the experience to get resolved sound quite positive and all are safe. Yes, as Jim shared, the area you are traveling in in some of the most beautiful in our great country. Carol and I and family have been through various areas of CO a number of times over the decades and enjoy the Rockies every time.

Dan
          Last edited by Canyonlight; 05-03-2021, 10:11 AM.
          Dan & Carol
          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
          X